Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: RIP Tommy Keane GUFC Legend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

RIP Tommy Keane GUFC Legend

Tommy scored in every round of the cup run in 1991 and was MOTM in the Final.Most naturally talented player ever from Galway.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEc04mAm2Y
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Class player. Had a spell with us under Keely - tremendously skilful. RIP
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Talented footballer, made his last appearance at Terryland Park representing Galway United at the Eamon Deacy Testimonial match in August.

Tommy was with Bournemouth (managed by Harry Redknapp) before signing for Colchester in 1988. Returned to Galway after 19 appearances for Colchester. Had three seasons with United, also played briefly for Finn Harps and Athlone.

A very modest man who was a hero to the supporters of Galway United. RIP Tommy.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Any stats onTommy Keane lads? he must have retired very young! RIP on the loss of Tommy Keane...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    may he rest in peace
    tore our defence apart many times at turners cross.
    First Division Champions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Any stats onTommy Keane lads? he must have retired very young! RIP on the loss of Tommy Keane...
    114 appearances for Galway United in all competitions, 37 goals.

Reposing this evening at O'Flahertys Funeral Home, Munster Avenue, Galway (5.00pm - 7.00pm).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    114 appearances for Galway United in all competitions, 37 goals.

Reposing this evening at O'Flahertys Funeral Home, Munster Avenue, Galway (5.00pm - 7.00pm).
    what seasons were that for galway? and for what seasons did tommy play for the other loi clubs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    1988-1991 Galway United
    1991-1992 Sligo Rovers
    1992-1993 Finn Harps

He subsequently signed for Athlone Town, not sure of the season. Had a brief stint back at Galway United under Don O'Riordan, but made no competitive appearances - I remember him playing in a friendly against Leicester City.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The following piece is taken from Sean Ryan's Official book of the FAI Cup.
    "Tommy's weird feeling."

It was a year of shocks in the fai cup,with non-league clubs defeating their league brethern,but Galway united's Tommy keane had a feeling that something good was going to happen to his team. "I knew something good would happen because Joey malone,our manager was brilliant at man-management and he developed this fantastic spirit within the group"he recalled. "After our first round win against Cobh ramblers i wondered could this be our year for the cup? It was a weird sort of feeling-I cant explain it".

Keane who had been introduced to the game by Mike corbett at corrib rangers,tested Malone's management skills from the start of that season when newly signed Larry wyse was handed the number 8 jersey. I told Joey "if you dont give me number 8 im not playing". " I had to wear number 8 but i didnt know Larry liked it too". A stand-off ensued ,Joey did nothing and Larry gave the jersey to Tommy. Crisis averted the two number 8s became great friends.

Harry redknapp was an admirer of the silky skills of Keane. He spotted the Galway lad while on a pre-season tour with Bournemouth and signed him for a two year apprenticeship and then as a professional. "He was very good to young people and very helpful",recalled Keane. "After training the first team he would come across to the young players and give us advice andeven as a manager,he was still able to play. He improved my game an awful lot".
    A bad knee ligament injury,which left him in plaster for nine months,halted Keane's progress at Bournemouth and after a short spell with Colchester united he returned to Galway united. Little did he know that another injury- a chipped bone in his ankle received in a youth game at Bournemouth-had not healed and he played for a further 6 years before it was properly diagnosed.

With Ashdown villa accounting for Dundalk and Derry city,Midleton knocking out cup holders Bray wanderers and Elm rovers and Portlaoise eliminating Monaghan unite and Home farm,the way was clear for a new name on the cup and Galway made the most of that oppurtunity,with Malone assigning a roaming role to Keane,the little Galwayman proceeded to wreak havoc on defences,scoring in every round of the cup leading to the final.

"When we qualified for the final, i couldnt wait to play at lansdowne road which i associated with the Irish team". "But i was never more nervous before a game as i was before that final. I was literally shaking until the first whistle blew. But,then,if i didnt get nervous i knew i wasnt going to play well. Barry murphy was marking me and he would say to me "Tommy would you ever stop running"? "But i had got into my head to keep running and knacker him out. When he started talking i knew i was getting to him". When Keane chipped goalkeeper Paul kavanagh after eleven minutes he had visions of being the first man to score in every round of the cup since Charlie ferry in 1974, but Dave connell appeared from nowhere to head clear. Stalemate ensued,and with minutes to go the announcement was made that in the event of a replay it was to be held in tolka park the following sunday. That got Keane going. "I turned to Stephen lally and Noel mernagh and said,"next time you get the ball give it to me,im not coming back for a replay". "Thirty seconds later Noel passed to me,I ran down the wing and knew where Johnny glynn would be. I crossed and he scored,exactly how we were dong it in training".

Keane was presented with the man of the match award,but in 2010 his former club West united presented him with a dvd of the game. "I had never looked at it but when i did i reckoned Pter carpenter should have got man of the match",was his candid conclusion.
    Last edited by A face; 06/01/2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added paragraphs
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I found out today that Tommy Keane played for Athlone Town in the 94-95 season.