Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2013 Fixtures.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Do clubs get any say on games being moved for Televised reasons?

Word going around that our match could be moved to Sunday evening instead of Friday. It will be a disaster. A lot of Cork fans will probably change their minds about traveling, people in Limerick will decide to watch it on telly before going to see what the team is like and they are going to run it tight with junior soccer matches that kick off at 2.
    Welcome to the premier ...

Just to bring you up to speed. The RTE director picks the slot. So when they have a time to fill, in goes a LOI match. And that payment the home team used to get for the fall in gate, the FAI hold on to that. But its Ok cause they put into the overall 'prizemoney' for the league - which I think has been cut for the last 3 or 4 seasons in a row!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Dundalk v Drogs at Oriel on Good Friday has now been pulled forward a day to the Thursday night.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Welcome to the premier ...

Just to bring you up to speed. The RTE director picks the slot. So when they have a time to fill, in goes a LOI match. And that payment the home team used to get for the fall in gate, the FAI hold on to that. But its Ok cause they put into the overall 'prizemoney' for the league - which I think has been cut for the last 3 or 4 seasons in a row!

RTE does not pay a per match fee, but has an overall deal with the FAI to include internationals, MNS and live LoI matches. Clubs used to get a share of a modest FAI TV fund if they had a certain number of live televised matches screened in a season, and although it hardly compensated clubs for loss of gate money, at least it was some financial recognition for clubs who regularly featured on live TV matches. The current system of no consultation / no compensation is unfair and should be revisited but is not the full picture.

The FAI claim that they spend more then they take in on the league and have been compelled to make cutbacks which include eliminating this TV fund and reducing prize money. The clubs themselves have recognised that there is no credible alternative to the FAI administration of the league, which in effect accepts this financial reality!

The potential benefit of TV exposure is fairly obvious in terms of promoting the league product to a wider audience along with the attractions for sponsors. Clubs do benefit financially in this way, but seem unable to maximise this to the extent of compensating for the lost gate receipts.

This is where the real question lies - why are clubs and the league unable to capitalise on this exposure?

Or would the league be better off without live TV / MNS ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    ^
    Of course TV/ MNS is good for the league, without doubt. Its the lack of input on start times by the clubs that gets to fans. Its pretty obvious that little consideration is given to fans with the scheduling of some games.

The FAi can claim what ever they like but is it not the case that each clubs participation fee into the league is less than the total prizemoney handed out!. Thats not including the sponorship they receive on the league. (ffs we had to pay for our medals, the referees, the stewards and to bring some FAI vips over from Dublin and put them up in a hotel for a League cup final a couple of years ago) Then you have the FAI cup final prize money coming from the gate receipts, while all the time the FAI get 30% of every cup game played in the season. It dosen't add up for me. If I can be enlightened on it, then great ...
    Last edited by redobit; 08/02/2013 at 2:34 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    Happy with the fixtures list especially with the teams we got at home twice this year and also we have 17 instead of 16 games at home. Dundalk were screwed over last season with the fixtures and the fixtures have been reversed this year which suits us, but at the same time I still don't think playing each team 3 times works as some teams are always going to screwed over.

I'd say Sligo vs Derry would be the game on TV. To be honest I'd much prefer not to be on the telly as I will in the ground either way and some of the part-timers may choose to stay at home and all they do is moan about how bad Oriel looks on the telly.
    Is it set in stone that fixtures are reversed every year? I presume Limerick took the place of the demised Monaghan in reversing the fixtures. If two teams had come up from the first division, how would they decide who took which teams place for the reversing of fixtures?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    It's not set in stone

7. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345