Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: End of year assessment of trap's ireland

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    On the first point, knowing some of them they'd also go and see their local sides. Albeit in certain cases with less enthusiasm....

As for the second, the relative club records of Scottish clubs, even if they were a 100 times better or worse, are irrelevant to the Irish national side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Lets refocus.

1) crowd size has nothing to do with quality of football. More likely to be down to local pride and/or clever import marketing aimed at gullible fools.

2) Irish sides have a better record than all but two of the Scottish league clubs. Equivalent support (financial and general public) would spread that gap even more. A more successful league = a more attractive option = keep our young players here a few years longer = more success = viable alternative for players = bigger selection pool & control over our own international destiny.

3) you know nothing about the "Scandanavian model" but think it sounds like a great idea because we're similar in size. Jaysus.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except you're wrong on all 3 counts.

1) Scottish people are up to 15 times more gullible and foolish than Irish soccer fans. Yeah, right. Plenty of rational logic there.

2) I vehemently dispute this as I'm sure I'm right. But I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, if you can show a better co-efficient by Irish clubs over Scottish ones, achieved without the contribution of Celtic and the former Rangers say, since the year 2000. Definitely not before.

Anyway, I digress. The LOI, even assuming it is financially sustainable in most cases does not have the resources for a more successful league in terms of say, just facilities.
    And that's before you ignore the very small cultural issue of other sports;GAA (x2), rugby and horse-racing drawing bigger crowds.
    Even assuming the clubs all had wonderful stadia of say minimum 15k capacity, they have to able to fill them...
    Most would be happy/delighted with a 5k average.
    And how likely is that in the current economic climate...

As for being more 'successful, 'attractive', these are just meaningless Utopian platitudes unless you can overcome the antipathy of local players to ignore the appeal of eg. Britain, whose whole system in terms of accommodating players of varying abilities is far more advanced than ours ever could be.
    Simply based on almost a thousand professional/semi-professional clubs. Not to mention the option of many other EU leagues.

Similarly, the appeal to fans, in a good number of cases. Which is hardly a crime.

I hope the domestic standard of soccer in Ireland continues to improve, but it's a complete fantasy to expect even 'donkeys' like McShane & Ward to play in it regularly at the peak of their careers.
    There isn't the money for starters, even from 15k crowds.

As for a 'bigger selection pool & control over own international destiny'. More fantasy.

Yeah, sure it'd be great if the FAI managed our international players full-time.
    They'd all be doing a Stephen Ireland, continually dealing with those jokers.

3) It was just a suggestion. Which could work?
    All small countries with not dissimilar climate and outlook. And whose coaches might see appeal in coming to Ireland (we're actually cheaper to live in!)

We can hardly expect all the Irish youth to suddenly switch on the Latin emphasis on technical skills.
    Where's your suggestion, anyway? Jaysus, indeed.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    On the first point, knowing some of them they'd also go and see their local sides. Albeit in certain cases with less enthusiasm....

As for the second, the relative club records of Scottish clubs, even if they were a 100 times better or worse, are irrelevant to the Irish national side.
    You're running from the argument now. I never said it was relevant. You are the one who said Kilmarnock were much better than any LOI side despite evidence to the contrary. I took issue with that and you can't just claim the topic has been derailed to avoid defending your point.

Except you're wrong on all 3 counts.

1) Scottish people are up to 15 times more gullible and foolish than Irish soccer fans. Yeah, right. Plenty of rational logic there.
    Scottish people aren't the only gullible people who go to SPL games.

2) I vehemently dispute this as I'm sure I'm right. But I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, if you can show a better co-efficient by Irish clubs over Scottish ones, achieved without the contribution of Celtic and the former Rangers say, since the year 2000. Definitely not before.
    Who cares about before 2000? Nobody said Irish clubs were better than Scottish clubs before 2000. We're talking about now, and now I can point to Motherwell, who played 4 games in Europe this year and lost 4, and Dundee United and Hearts who each played 2 and lost 1 apiece, with not a single win between them.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Actually I said 'probably'. And your 'argument' isn't any better than mine. Especially re.the irish national team

And who are all the 'other' gullible people then?

Lastly, you have to have some sort of benchmark to make any valid comparison. And some relative criteria in terms of the teams played. As in the Scottish clubs played higher-ranked sides than the Irish ones.
    But don't let that cloud your vision of how 'wonderful' Irish club soccer currently is...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Actually I said 'probably'. And your 'argument' isn't any better than mine. Especially re.the irish national team
    I didn't make an argument re: the Irish national team so I'm hardly surprised it's no better than yours. You said Kilmarnock were 'probably' better than every Irish team which is still patently untrue. Saying 'probably' doesn't make your point any better. Kilmarnock are 'probably' better than Barcelona. Hey, you can't argue with me, I said probably!

And who are all the 'other' gullible people then?
    The thousands of Irish people who fly to Glasgow every weekend.

Lastly, you have to have some sort of benchmark to make any valid comparison. And some relative criteria in terms of the teams played. As in the Scottish clubs played higher-ranked sides than the Irish ones.
    But don't let that cloud your vision of how 'wonderful' Irish club soccer currently is...
    This season, yeah, mainly due to the fact all the clubs were bumped one spot above their station owing to Rangers' demotion. In previous years, no. Shamrock Rovers played FC Copenhagen, Partizan Belgrade, Spurs and Rubin last year - all sides with recent Champions League experience.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    So if you didn't make an argument, why are you even 'contributing' then?
    Still reckon even Kilmarnock are better;no-one's presented any credible evidence to counteract this. Just largely one-eyed opinion.

What 'thousands'? If you want to concentrate on the now, need to check your facts...

And fair play to Shams getting to the group stages, but one year out of how many? Given a good number of those years it was virtually impossible for them to get anywhere near Europe, given their league position was so poor...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So if you didn't make an argument, why are you even 'contributing' then?
    Because you made a silly comment about football.

Still reckon even Kilmarnock are better;no-one's presented any credible evidence to counteract this. Just largely one-eyed opinion.
    You've presented no credible evidence to support it other than the fact Celtic and Rangers are better than Irish sides. We know this already, however it doesn't make Kilmarnock or any other Scottish side vicariously better, particularly when the factual evidence, i.e. head to head meetings, suggests Irish sides tend to triumph.

What 'thousands'? If you want to concentrate on the now, need to check your facts...
    I was a bit overeager in my estimate, but surely between Rangers and Celtic it is in the hundreds.

And fair play to Shams getting to the group stages, but one year out of how many? Given a good number of those years it was virtually impossible for them to get anywhere near Europe, given their league position was so poor...
    One year more than Hearts and Dundee United. And Kilmarnock

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's no big secret that the 'other' SPL clubs don't do well in European competition, it would be a good season if a few draws were picked up, they just don't seem to bother about it so much (unless they get an English team). I don't think that it's a good slide rule to judge the standard of the 'other' SPL teams compared to the LOI clubs.
    The SPL football standard is higher than the LOI, not a lot higher but higher all the same. That's my opinion, based on watching both on TV.
    One indicator, a recent Scottish national squad for a friendly had 7 players from 'other' SPL clubs, the u21 competitive squad had 9 of them.
    If any LOI club had the same facilities as say Kilmarnock, re training, income, stadium, with players on a FT contract, I'd have little doubt they would improve all round.

The thread issue is about Trap and an assessment of how he has managed the player resources as it exists to him. I assume he has all the facilities he needs to manage the squad. The fact that those players are all abroad is a concern, but not Trap's concern.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    That's a fair post and makes more sense than those by others, besides myself, that preceded it.
    Because of far higher investment, grounds and facilities in Ireland have a long way to go compared to a good number of other European countries with similar size populations or even similar levels of club football.

However it comes down to using raw talent, based on competition with other sports which in the case of soccer is quite tough. And tends to be a bit cyclical at best for small countries. As in far better leagues can have even worse international sides...

Also to do with the current coaching regimes & organisation of youth football by provincial FA & the FAI which would know much less about, but that's where any changes would happen and would take at least 10 years to have any great effect.
    Don't know of any great leadership or even desire to change, coming from even senior clubs, whose priorities I suspect are mainly survival, both sporting and financial...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Can we get this thread back on topic? The title of the thread is "End of year assessment of Trap's Ireland".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Yes but there was a big issue/question raised by the OP about the role of the LOI in the future of the Irish international team. It only got derailed by, as Charlie put it so brilliantly, a silly comment by ArdeeBhoy about football.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    As opposed to silly comments, by people who know feck all about football...

Yes, 'brilliant', beyond comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Says the guy who thinks crowd size equals quality. Good lhad yourself.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Stu is just going stir crazy with no NHL.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

17. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    The last few comments (#53 & #54) are precisely why I asked that the thread get back on topic.
    If you want to trade insults, then PM each other. Let's talk about Trap and where we're going.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except the thread is largely pointless in its inception...

It needed 5 posts and then to be locked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    As opposed to silly comments, by people who know feck all about football...

Yes, 'brilliant', beyond comparison.
    Glad you have seen the errors of your ways.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Actually, yours was one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Maybe we can get things back to normal by discussing Anne Hathaway.....Attractive or not? When she let go with her girly bits the other day it was like an accident on the highway....I couldnt look away yet I knew I should. (Shudders).
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast