Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Budget 2013.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts

Budget 2013.

That is all.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Given how utterly screwed the country is, that was a fairly tame budget.

Bit worrying imo.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's tinkering while the entire edifice is falling down. Cutting jobseeker's by three months to save €30 million while child benefit goes untaxed for those who can afford it. Can't wait for next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

Evolution Irish Style

Pity The Nation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Rabbitte disappointed, Gilmore enraged. The man has destroyed the party with the new-labour bullshot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Rabbitte disappointed, Gilmore enraged. The man has destroyed the party with the new-labour bullshot.
    The man is a cret of the finest order. Absolutely disgusting politician.

Always has been.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Given how utterly screwed the country is, that was a fairly tame budget.

Bit worrying imo.
    This was precisely my thoughts of it. The headlines on the day after looked like built up rage and that the papers were preparing for worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Colm Keaveney jumps ship. What a contemptuous [insert whatever ya feel here].

I really do hate Labour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Me too, only problem is I hate all the rest of them more.

One thing that worries me about the reaction to the budget is that Irish people being who they are, they'll blame the government for its enforced cutbacks, and vote back in the people responsible for the mess in the first place. Seriously worried about a Fianna Fáil rebound in the next election.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I really do hate Labour.
    To the point when they can do no right it seems.

He'll say he tried to change the party view, and when he couldn't he left. I don't see a problem with that tbh
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    To the point when they can do no right it seems.

He'll say he tried to change the party view, and when he couldn't he left. I don't see a problem with that tbh
    But it's a bogus stance that he's portraying. The idea that he wrestled with his conscience up to the eleventh hour is laughable.

And you're right, Labour can do no right. They talked such bull during the last election campaign with that odious leader of theirs and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Long may it continue.
    Also FG were mental to go into government with such a flakey shower. Let us not forget '94.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Me too, only problem is I hate all the rest of them more.

One thing that worries me about the reaction to the budget is that Irish people being who they are, they'll blame the government for its enforced cutbacks, and vote back in the people responsible for the mess in the first place. Seriously worried about a Fianna Fáil rebound in the next election.
    I'm petrified. THough I think we'll see somewhat of a recovery by then. FG/Lab are better off enduring the pain now in order to have a positive spin near election time.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    THough I think we'll see somewhat of a recovery by then.
    What's going to lead to a recovery though? Cutting E3.5bn out of the economy? Having to cut another E10bn out of it? A Government - indeed, a whole political ruling class - which doesn't understand that high house and rental prices are bad, and that every hundred grand we p!ss on buying property is a hundred grand which could be spent productively - actually buying goods and services instead?

We won't be in a recovery any time soon.

Also, it's really, really disgraceful that politicians are so clueless about the state of the country that they're resigning over welfare cuts and trying to portray themselves as martyrs. I'm sure some cuts could have been better thought out, but the state's welfare bill is staggering, and it's increasing. It was €20bn last year - 40% of state spending! - and up from €17bn in 2008 and €3.4bn in 1988 (presumably not inflation adjusted).

Back to school allowance, for example, was €150 in 2004, €190 in 2006, increased to €285 in 2007, increased again to €305 in 2008 (when the bubble had burst!), reduced to €250 last year and to €200 this year. I know it's not the main target of protests, but it shows just how ridiculous this country has got - we're having to live at 2006 levels. Heaven forbid! I'm sure there's similar figures for other allowances, but that's one I had to hand.

If people are going to protest over welfare cuts, then they need to forward alternative suggestions, and not just "tax the rich" - that'd certainly help, but the welfare bill simply has to reduce.

Let house prices crash (properly - at least another 50% to go), let people who can't repay mortgages go bankrupt (not over 12 years though, and don't hand out mortgage forgiveness), slap a 60% capital gains tax on investment property (and disallow mortgage interest as an expense) to discourage property speculation. Then maybe we can start at looking at turning things around. What we're doing now is dragging things out as long as we can in the hope that things'll go back to "normal" - i.e. bubble - levels. This is also bad. But no-one seems to get that.

IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What's going to lead to a recovery though? Cutting E3.5bn out of the economy? Having to cut another E10bn out of it? A Government - indeed, a whole political ruling class - which doesn't understand that high house and rental prices are bad, and that every hundred grand we p!ss on buying property is a hundred grand which could be spent productively - actually buying goods and services instead?

We won't be in a recovery any time soon.

Also, it's really, really disgraceful that politicians are so clueless about the state of the country that they're resigning over welfare cuts and trying to portray themselves as martyrs. I'm sure some cuts could have been better thought out, but the state's welfare bill is staggering, and it's increasing. It was €20bn last year - 40% of state spending! - and up from €17bn in 2008 and €3.4bn in 1988 (presumably not inflation adjusted).

Back to school allowance, for example, was €150 in 2004, €190 in 2006, increased to €285 in 2007, increased again to €305 in 2008 (when the bubble had burst!), reduced to €250 last year and to €200 this year. I know it's not the main target of protests, but it shows just how ridiculous this country has got - we're having to live at 2006 levels. Heaven forbid! I'm sure there's similar figures for other allowances, but that's one I had to hand.

If people are going to protest over welfare cuts, then they need to forward alternative suggestions, and not just "tax the rich" - that'd certainly help, but the welfare bill simply has to reduce.

Let house prices crash (properly - at least another 50% to go), let people who can't repay mortgages go bankrupt (not over 12 years though, and don't hand out mortgage forgiveness), slap a 60% capital gains tax on investment property (and disallow mortgage interest as an expense) to discourage property speculation. Then maybe we can start at looking at turning things around. What we're doing now is dragging things out as long as we can in the hope that things'll go back to "normal" - i.e. bubble - levels. This is also bad. But no-one seems to get that.

IMO.
    Agree with more or less all of that.

I have no idea how the economy is going to recover but I'm merely going on women's intuition that we will not have to endure much more pain this electoral cycle; ie. the can will be kicked down the road.

I think that the fundamental economy won't recover but some sort of incentive will magically appear towards the end of this government's life... watch.

Re. SW levels. They frighten me that no one is grasping at that bloody nettle. They are beyond a joke in this country.

I dealt with a family this week who rake in 59k in allowances a year... Why would you work?

I watched as budget after budget raised the basic rate then the spectacular rise to 204.30 in 2008 (Budget 2009) when the country was on the ropes.
    The biggest scandal in this State is the Welfare system. It's a sham.