Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate - Future of Youth Development in Irish Football

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I was expecting to see a 6ft leggy blond when I clicked that link.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Great article Stutts. This piece in particular sums it all up for me. If the FAI truly has a vision, then they need to empower Dokter to execute it. Good luck with that!

Dutch levels of co-operation between clubs seems fairly unthinkable here in Ireland where the FAI puts its investment in the last four years in “grassroots programmes, high performance, and emerging talent programmes” at €60 million but resistance from schoolboy outfits to a national under-17 league is one of the problems Dokter, like Wim Koevermans before him, will have to contend with.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I thought this interview with Jurgen Klinsmann was interesting

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...oach-world-cup

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think this article that was linked to me after I read that Klinsmann one is more apt for Ireland...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...world-cup-2014
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'll see that guardian article and raise it

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ion-world-cup-

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'll see that guardian article and raise it

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ion-world-cup-
    Great article. Smaller pitches, 2v2, 5v5 and 8v8 looks to have worked for them.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Exactly what thecoachdiary.com recommends.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagger View Post
    Great article. Smaller pitches, 2v2, 5v5 and 8v8 looks to have worked for them.
    Very informative article alright and not a knock on you nagger or anyone who has posted on this topic, but are we that far behind the times in Ireland that we are really only waking up now to the concept of smaller pitches and 2 v 2, 5 v 5's etc.

The reason I ask is that I have lived in America for 20 plus years and small pitches and small sided games has been the order of the day for as long as I can remember. I played at LOI level back home and I can honestly tell you that I learned more in the first six months after coming to America than I did in my entire life at home. It's all down to coaching at the end of the day and from what I can gather, but I hope someone proves me wrong, the coaching in Ireland for young kids is s****.

I read somewhere a few months ago that the next year should produce a lot talent in Ireland because of some new coaching scheme the FAI have implemented?
    That seems to be the 'official' word but the word from the man on the street (on this forum) would seem to suggest otherwise?

How are we fixed in Ireland for a revolution in coaching like the Belgians have done? Does anyone have an opinion?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'd like to see some wealthy types like Desmond and O'Brien offer financial support for a proper coach education programme. That'd be a great start. But the rest of the problems remain: a dysfunctional pyramid with vested interests looking after their own needs and no orderly pathway up the pyramid into what would ideally be a more professional top tier. I think some people are doing the right things, but we need everyone to be doing the right thing.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd like to see some wealthy types like Desmond and O'Brien offer financial support for a proper coach education programme. That'd be a great start. But the rest of the problems remain: a dysfunctional pyramid with vested interests looking after their own needs and no orderly pathway up the pyramid into what would ideally be a more professional top tier. I think some people are doing the right things, but we need everyone to be doing the right thing.
    An enlightened vision Stutts, but the word dysfunctional remains attached to Irish youth coaching it seems. Pity. Are we ever going to stop being our own worst enemies?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Very informative article alright and not a knock on you nagger or anyone who has posted on this topic, but are we that far behind the times in Ireland that we are really only waking up now to the concept of smaller pitches and 2 v 2, 5 v 5's etc.

The reason I ask is that I have lived in America for 20 plus years and small pitches and small sided games has been the order of the day for as long as I can remember. I played at LOI level back home and I can honestly tell you that I learned more in the first six months after coming to America than I did in my entire life at home. It's all down to coaching at the end of the day and from what I can gather, but I hope someone proves me wrong, the coaching in Ireland for young kids is s****.

I read somewhere a few months ago that the next year should produce a lot talent in Ireland because of some new coaching scheme the FAI have implemented?
    That seems to be the 'official' word but the word from the man on the street (on this forum) would seem to suggest otherwise?

How are we fixed in Ireland for a revolution in coaching like the Belgians have done? Does anyone have an opinion?
    To be honest, I don't know that much about Irish coaching. I'm living in Holland myself, and overhere its all smaller pitches, and in training its 2v2 , 3v3, sometimes 3v2, 3 attackers v 2 defenders. and when the kids play tournaments, its 5v5. The kids learn some much. Some kids couldnt control a ball when they started, and if you see them now, 6 months to a year later. The difference is unbelieveable. Thats my experience so far in Holland

I was checking reading an article, http://www.thecoachdiary.com/coachtalk-anthony-oneill/ and was sorry to see only 2 clubs in Ireland are using the Ajax online academy and TIPS model.
    Not sure if the coaching revolution is headed for Ireland anytime soon. I hope so offcourse

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    To be honest, I don't know that much about Irish coaching. I'm living in Holland myself, and overhere its all smaller pitches, and in training its 2v2 , 3v3, sometimes 3v2, 3 attackers v 2 defenders. and when the kids play tournaments, its 5v5. The kids learn some much. Some kids couldnt control a ball when they started, and if you see them now, 6 months to a year later. The difference is unbelieveable. Thats my experience so far in Holland

I was checking reading an article, http://www.thecoachdiary.com/coachtalk-anthony-oneill/ and was sorry to see only 2 clubs in Ireland are using the Ajax online academy and TIPS model.
    Not sure if the coaching revolution is headed for Ireland anytime soon. I hope so offcourse
    Cheers Nagger for that insight from on the ground in Holland. Their coaching system needs no introductions and the evidence of their work comes from their repeated appearances in the latter stages of major tournaments, and that form a country with a population about double of ours. Illustrates my point exactly - it's all down to coaching. And at the end of the day, the biggest obstacle to the progress of Irish football, at this moment in time, is the ill educated coaches who are in charge of our youth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    It's down to coaching yes, but then also structure feeding to league of ireland as pinnacle. The very best go to England young but the rest stay for a few years and learn to play the game in a semi-professional league before moving on.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I have to say, watching a small but dedicated crowd in Cork cheering on St Mochta's, it's a pity there's only so high a club can go in this league. You'd imagine they'd love to have the chance of seeing their team playing league clubs more often.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Who are they playing?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Mochta's? They drew Cork City in the cup on Friday night. They were beaten 6-0 but that wasn't really the point - they brought down what looked like a crowd of 30+, which is pretty good for a LSL Division 1B side. They're also from the large part of Dublin with no LOI side.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It's down to coaching yes, but then also structure feeding to league of ireland as pinnacle. The very best go to England young but the rest stay for a few years and learn to play the game in a semi-professional league before moving on.
    Good coaching is definately needed. But the best players should be playing football at least 1.5 to 2 hours, 5 days a week. If they can get in Ireland. Great! If they have to go to England, also great.
    I used to go to school with kids who played for AZ Alkmaar. They had a daily training session out of school, sometimes even twice a day. And on saturday was match day.

Are there any clubs in Ireland who do this?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Good coaching is definately needed. But the best players should be playing football at least 1.5 to 2 hours, 5 days a week. If they can get in Ireland. Great! If they have to go to England, also great.
    I used to go to school with kids who played for AZ Alkmaar. They had a daily training session out of school, sometimes even twice a day. And on saturday was match day.

Are there any clubs in Ireland who do this?
    I would seriously doubt it. I remember training for a LOI team back in the day and wondering to meself - "we train twice a week, how good would we be if we trained four times a week?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    There's lots of very good points being made here. For me, youth development or lack of it is a far more cutting and important problem for Irish soccer than our lack of quality in the senior side right now.

The key for me is increasing the amount of UEFA accredited coaches in the country. I've seen youth teams in the smaller schoolboy clubs thrive more in 2 days of a session with a UEFA qualified coach than 3-4 years with their own coach, who often can be very good and well intentioned, but lacks the know-how to take their kids to the next level. I will try and find out where we stand with regard to the rest of Europe, but I think to go through all your badges right through to UEFA A can cost up to 10,000 euro in Ireland. Clubs like St Kevin's, Crumlin United etc can afford to send coaches to get their badges, but not the smaller clubs. For us, to really kick on, every schoolboy club should have one coach with at least a UEFA B licence (ideally more). The FAI need to roll out the coaching badges and make it far more feasible to do. In the past, it wasn't the same issue - the kids in Dublin and Cork were street footballers and had the technical ability of the foreigners, even if they lacked the coaching. Now, street football is almost a forgotten thing in this part of the world.

Another thing that needs to happen is that LOI clubs should be centres of excellence in their locality for the best young talent. All the coaches at Rovers/Bohs/Cork etc right through from the youngest age-group should have UEFA A licences. Our LOI clubs will still lose a Noe Baba or Jack Byrne to English clubs, just like FC Copenhagen or Partizan Belgrade do, but the lads left will be of a much higher standard, and there will be a massive knock on effect for the LOI. The FAI should support this by having a properly run LOI academy league. At the current time, the top schoolboy clubs run the show for youth football. It's hard to be critical when if it wasn't for them, we would produce next to nothing, but wouldn't it be great if it was Rovers or Bohs or Sligo having the cream of the talent.

It would also be great if FAI coaches went into local schools and spent time with kids teaching them skills and getting kids involved in sport that otherwise might not. A friend of mine is a headmaster and he has an FAI coach coming in playing football with the kids once a week for an hour. That's down to him being friends with this man, who is doing it off his own bat for free. Wouldn't it be great if it happened in every school. The GAA and the IRFU seem to be proactive with schools. The FAI need to do likewise.

Is there anything that can be done by us to try and get things changed? Would it be good if all of the fans groups on the various sites like here and YBIG lobbied the FAI and really threw it into the public domain to try and get things changed? I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but I'd love if I could make some small difference and be in the stands watching us lose a quarter final to Argentina in 2030, rather than finish 5th in a qualification group!!

27. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What about a trying to drum up support to get this Oireachtas Committee to ask questions of the FAI?

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/...tions/members/

I'm not great on social media but I'm sure somehow all 25 people in Ireland who actually care anymore can be united!

It needn't be threatening to the FAI. Quite simply the terms could be "If you could start afresh how would you do things? Is this different to the status quo? What obstacles prevent change?".

In the UK the Department of Culture Media and Sport organised a thorough inquiry into football's governance and as a result a Football Governance Bill is being put through parliament right now.

The Oireactas Committee linked above were pretty eager to invite the GAA in to answer for their decision to sell TV rights to SKY. There is a Dail group of football supporting TDs and of course Mick Wallace has in interest in these matters. Personally I expect government can't give a hoot even though the ISC channels funding to the FAI on their behalf.

I think the Denis O'Briens of the country could be able to help financially. The problem is that nobody knows what the problem is but plenty offer trite solutions like a 32 county team or entering Leinster into the Champions League
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 12/06/2014 at 2:12 PM.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast