Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate - Future of Youth Development in Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He's got a pretty good CV for an ex-pro in fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    He would be perfect. Good CV. He always speaks well in the media. And if nothing else he would cost a fair bit less than Delaney.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Wasn't sure where exactly to put this, but Early is bang on in this article about big clubs and youth development even if it is stating the bleeding obvious. At the same time who can blame youngsters from going to clubs when they are often promised the sun, moon and stars, later to find themselves questioning their 'failure' when released and picked up by smaller clubs. Maybe the new U17 competition might educate players to the pitfalls of signing for big clubs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...lent-1.2311686

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Enjoyed that
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I went along to the event organised by Antonio Mantero of the The Coach Diary blog in the Institute of Technology in Blanchardstwown on Monday night.

It was a very good event, Johnny Lyons of 98 FM Sport acting as MC and a good turnout of coaches from schoolboy and some LoI clubs. I met Peter Eccles, ex-Shamrock Rovers CB and capped once by Jack Charlton I think. It lasted 3.5 hours!

Anyway, the panelists were:
    - Austin Speight of Coerver Ireland - a private company coaching kids worldwide uising the Coerver Method
    - Dermot Dalton(?) of the beautifulgame.ie, another private company using the "Horst Wein Method".
    - Mitch Whitty - I think he isTechnical Director of the North Dublin Schoolboys' League
    - Mick Lynam - ex-FAI Child Protection Officer, made redundant with the cuts and now working freeelance I think.
    - Antonio sat with the panel, but only joined in at the Q&A stage.

Austin & Dermot were both plugging their companies to some extent, but were mainly highliting the fact that there is now a universally accepted philosophy about coaching kids (small sided games - numbers depending on kids' ages, pastoral care, encouragement, technique, mini-leagues versus season-long leagues etc.) and that the traditional Irish method is basically the upside-down version of this. Arsenal no longer even scout in Ireland because of the brutes we tend to produce. We kind of knew all this though.

Mitch Whitty (ex-Chelsea academy coach) described how they have ripped everything up and started again in NDSL, largely in line with the more progressive / enlightened techniques and outlook largely accepted elsewhere. He says the results have been remarkable already with a crop of kids with talent & technique like they've never had before. Although the emphasis is not on winning, they recently went to Manchester and won a big tournament featuring major EPL academy sides. Mitch was positive about the FAI's Emerging Talent Programme whilst recognising its limitations and very positive about Niall Harrison.

Mick Lynam, an ex-Garda in his early 60s(?) and with a MSc in child psychology was a real character. He has dealt with kids from broken homes, deep poverty etc and used football to keep them out of trouble and teach them life skills and values. Again, he is promoting a more enlightened approach to encouraging kids and keeping them engaged and interested rather than the approach we've all heard about, and educating parents etc.

I suppose the key message overall was that there is at least one small group of progressively-minded coaches and organisations in Ireland, but unfortunately few other regions are following NDSL's example. The South Dublin Schoolboys League is miles behind and is run by the head of the SFAI who by all accounts are just operating in a vacuum and nobody even knows what they're trying to do or how they think. The lack of ownership that the FAI has over the broader game is a problem and the SFAI is impervious to FAI influence. Antonio had said that he has tried many times to contact the SFAI and has never got a response.

I asked if the Irish Sports Council can try and lean on the FAI to exert more authority but the ISC has no interest in doing so. Some panel members have tried in the past, but ISC simply say to talk to the FAI.

There was talk about moving schoolboy football to the summer, but all factions would need to agree to this and they can't - highlighting the lack of control a single body has.

Antonio did a great job and is organising more discussion events like this in future. I'll notify you on this site.
    i was sad to hear of Johnny Lyons' death. I last met him at this event and we had a good chat, as we knew each other in 80s UCD and were both footy and music nerds. RIP Johnny.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Probably not the best thread for this but kind of relevant. A pal is on the board of Dulwich Hamlets FC in south London.

This article was in today's Observer.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/20...share_btn_link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Irish Footballers in the EPL 1992-2015

Republic Of Ireland footballers in the EPL

Compared to Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    that's a really interesting statistic. I would have assumed that our numbers would be way down vs the early 90's. Kind of calls the argument that we "don't have the players" into question. I understand that people might retort with the point that we don't have as many players playing with the top teams as we did in the 90's but neither do England to be perfectly frank.

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You could probably also make a case that the non-top teams are better than they were before so it's not like all our players are a league below.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I understand that people might retort with the point that we don't have as many players playing with the top teams as we did in the 90's but neither do England to be perfectly frank.
    England still have an awful lot of players playing for the top clubs to be fair. I know they flirt with the likes of Austin and Vardy these times but this was their most recent team in their qualifying group:

• 01 Hart
    • 02 Jones (Lallana - 45' )
    • 05 Cahill
    • 06 Smalling
    • 03 Gibbs
    • 04 Henderson
    • 07 Wilshere
    • 08 Delph (Clyne - 85' )
    • 11 Townsend (Walcott - 74' )
    • 10 Rooney
    • 09 Sterling

Including the used substitutes only Delph plays for a side outside what I would consider 'the big six' of Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool & Tottenham, although Clyne was with Southampton at the time. They have the likes of Jagielka and Barkley who often start as well and Everton should probably be the next best in England. Our stand out players (on paper at least) are the Everton contingent.

Looking at that team sheet though it's kind of surprising that they've so many (relatively) average players playing with the top clubs, it's easy to understand the English clubs recent Champions League performances in that context.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bit harsh on Delph - hasn't had much of a chance to impress for Man City but to say he doesn't play at all...

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Jesus I actually forgot about the u-turn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Both of you (DeLorean and SkStu) are correct in your respective ways of looking at it. Most of England's regularly-selected senior international players still play for the top teams, but I think it's also accurate to say that Hodgson/the FA have fewer English players from whom to choose at those big clubs nowadays compared to the choice that England managers might have had from those same clubs in former days. Proportionately, England now have fewer players at the bigger clubs now.

Years ago, England had the option of players like Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler, Ray Parlour or Dennis Wise at the big clubs. That's just a few names straight off the top of my head, but would it be fair to say they were never anything more than peripheral (excess) players for England, whilst the fewer regular English starters at the bigger clubs now are invariably pivotal to the international side's fortunes?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Stephen Hunt on academy stars not making it as professionals: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31487838.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Interview with Rudd Dokter about the player development plan: https://soundcloud.com/heraldstriker...rudd-dokterwav
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Interesting read here about lads falling through the UK academies into upper non league, electing more and more to head stateside into the college / scholarship system instead and some doing very well, educationally and career wise. I wonder if many Irish lads are taking this route, there must be plenty candidates after each UK cull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34097904

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Depressing article in one way, but if NI can do it, we should be able to use a similar model to develop players in the future.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34244549.html

27. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Same paper also reports John Devine is leaving SDSL for a nice job working for Bayern in the USA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Some interesting facts about the numbers of games Scotland's underage players are getting in the SPL/Scottish Championship in this article: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35391918
    The tone overall is pretty bleak towards Scottish football at the moment, but their U19s beat Ireland 4-0 only a few months ago, maybe their future isn't so bad?

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast