Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longford Town 2-2 Athlone Town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts

Unhappy Longford Town 2-2 Athlone Town

I'm sick. 2nil up after 20 mins, I said to myself, This could be 5 or 6 How wrong I was. In fairness though, Athlone deserved at least a draw although we should have had a penalty in the last minute when a shot was blocked on the line by a hand, and not the Keeper's one either! When we got the 2-0, We just sat back for the next 75 mins and then when we realised that it was 2-2, we got a good kick up the ar$e but it was to little, to late.

Replay Monday, 7:45pm, St. Mel's Park.

Many heading down?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Longford missed Murphy very badly and were poor in defence.Were lucky not to concede a penalty early in the second half as well.Athlone goalkeeper was man of the match so I suppose that says something of the pressure he was under but we should have put them away.I would be more confident of a good result in Mels Pk with a full squad and Murph back in defence.

On a seperate note,when are Longford stewards going to get their act together,I'm refering to when Athlone scored the equaliser,Athlone fans behind the Longford dugout hurled obscene abuse at the bench (Aaron in particular) while the stewards looked on with blank expressions until he (Aaron) requested that something be done.This should have been dealt with earlier as it was really getting out of control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johno
    On a seperate note,when are Longford stewards going to get their act together,I'm refering to when Athlone scored the equaliser,Athlone fans behind the Longford dugout hurled obscene abuse at the bench (Aaron in particular) while the stewards looked on with blank expressions until he (Aaron) requested that something be done.This should have been dealt with earlier as it was really getting out of control.
    Spot on! Athlone goal goes in, Grey haired w@nker of an Athlone fan starts banging on the back of our dugout and then proceeds to give Aaron the 2 fingers. Disgraceful. All the stewards their looking at him and decide to point fingers at yur man and tell him not to do it again I think eventually they took him out at Aaron's request.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Aaron squirted a bottle of water at him and that seemed to do the trick!!
    we are going up

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DE TOWN
    Spot on! Athlone goal goes in, Grey haired w@nker of an Athlone fan starts banging on the back of our dugout and then proceeds to give Aaron the 2 fingers. Disgraceful. All the stewards their looking at him and decide to point fingers at yur man and tell him not to do it again I think eventually they took him out at Aaron's request.
    Take it easy it wasn't that serious, overall the athlone fans were great especially considering where they are in the first division. Murph's goal was superb, their keeper made some great saves, Steven Gavin is still as good as he always was and their no.3 I think Alan Kelly is his name should have got man of the match.As for the town played good in patches, Deano's goal was very well worked and it was good to see that Eric scored. I was happy with the draw in the end cos they deserved at least a replay but I couldn't see us losing on Monday.

Well done to the Athlone fans and team(its only a short while since we were down there).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea
    Take it easy it wasn't that serious, overall the athlone fans were great especially considering where they are in the first division.

Well done to the Athlone fans and team(its only a short while since we were down there).
    It's not about the Athlone fans who I agree were great,it's about the LONGFORD STEWARDS who don't seem to realise that part of their job is crowd control and this should entail keeping hostilities away from officials and players.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's not about the Athlone fans who I agree were great,it's about the LONGFORD STEWARDS who don't seem to realise that part of their job is crowd control and this should entail keeping hostilities away from officials and players.
    Not this again...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea
    Not this again...
    You may not like it but its essential that stewards know their jobs so as everyone from young to old can enjoy the game in comfortable surroundings without scumbags interfering.My apologies if this particular subject bores you but for a club as prosperous as Longford and with it's sizeable support then I think a lot more effort should be placed on it's security arrangements.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb

My apologies if this particular subject bores
    This subject doesn't particularly bore me its just it has been wrung dry as it can get e.g running up to the rovers game p.s I would to talk about football otherwise a new site will have to be set up, say ltfc-complaining.ie (I am going back on what I said to Wiseguy, you're completely right!)

but for a club as prosperous as Longford and with it's sizeable support then I think a lot more effort should be placed on it's security arrangements
    Inform somebody at the club of your problems instead of this chit-chat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Looking back on it, We should have put Athlone away in the 1st half but we didnt and we paid for it in the end! A draw seems like a fair result, 3 great goals and the last one, well sloppy to say the least. Can't understand why John Martin was left on, he had a terrible game imo!

On a separate note, fair play to the Athlone fans, even at
    2-0 down they never stopped! the abuse towards aaron, wasnt anything major in fairness lads remember Stephen Kenny and the abuse he got(gets)!! its all part of da game! Looking forward to a good one tomorrow night!
    Last edited by Maz; 12/09/2004 at 2:33 PM.
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    in fairness lads remember Stephen Kenny and the abuse he got(gets)!! its all part of da game!
    What abuse? OK, maybe the first Bohs game in the FAI Cup the week after he left us but I don't really remember much abuse since then except for when he goes mental on the touchline! he got a good reception last week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ah please r u serious? he was spit on in Dalymount, he has been shouted at etc.......Id say Aaron knew he was gonna get it last night.....tomorrow night could be worse for him!

oh and he didnt hit the old man with the water but a little child!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    oh and he didnt hit the old man with the water but a little child!!
    He didn't really hit anyone!!!! He just squirted water at the grey-haired w@nker that was given him the 2 fingers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    are ya sure bout that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    another shambles ok we have got second chance but it should have been all over. when is matthews ever going to get nice attacking and attractive football into his head.everytime we go ahead its straight on the defensive side kenny never did that we were always attractive to watch.hopefully we get the right result tomorrow but i was quite impressed with some of the athlone players.

O Brien-anything he had to do he failed to do and that was to save two athlone shots 5

Dillon-anonymous for much of the game 5

Gartland- have been impressed with him lately 7

Barry-Solid 8

Prunty-Held gavin well and did well for the first goal 8

Kirby-Desperate performance running round in circles half the time 4

Martin-Great signing by Matthews top class performance 0.5

Fitzy-Great goal and an animal in centre 8

Vinny- not a bad game but not his best 6

Lavine-Great peformance but sure it always is with eric class player 10

Baker- Did ok 6.5

SUBS
    Keegan-useless oh sorry superb .00000002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    just wondering, for athlone's second goal, was it sean prunty who fumbled the ball at the edge of the square? i know everyone of em missed the ball after that, and digger dived the wrong way but was just wondering where it started!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    another shambles ok we have got second chance but it should have been all over. when is matthews ever going to get nice attacking and attractive football into his head.everytime we go ahead its straight on the defensive side kenny never did that we were always attractive to watch.hopefully we get the right result tomorrow but i was quite impressed with some of the athlone players.

O Brien-anything he had to do he failed to do and that was to save two athlone shots 5

Dillon-anonymous for much of the game 5

Gartland- have been impressed with him lately 7

Barry-Solid 8

Prunty-Held gavin well and did well for the first goal 8

Kirby-Desperate performance running round in circles half the time 4

Martin-Great signing by Matthews top class performance 0.5

Fitzy-Great goal and an animal in centre 8

Vinny- not a bad game but not his best 6

Lavine-Great peformance but sure it always is with eric class player 10

Baker- Did ok 6.5

SUBS
    Keegan-useless oh sorry superb .00000002

Superb observations, I shall recommend you as the new management

Fennelly- made some great stops 9

O'Keefe- better than alan murphy but crap 5

Silke- solid as water at the back 6

Hope- great finish for the goal 9

Kelly- Played great 10

Rushe- Not as good as Ian Rush but great in spells 7

S Kelly- captain and manager fantastic 9

McCann- very poor 2

Gavin- Skillful and committed should be playing for us 9

Murphy- great finish for the goal, great decision to get rid of him 10

Collins- did very little 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just wondering, for athlone's second goal, was it sean prunty who fumbled the ball at the edge of the square? i know everyone of em missed the ball after that, and digger dived the wrong way but was just wondering where it started!
    I think you are right maz but it was an unfortunate error. a sloppy goal but i would blame digger more although he is one of my favorite players he didnt have a great game.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

missfottie

In relation to stewarts doing their JOBS, the last time I can rmenber people got paid for doing a JOB, there isnt to many others willing to go out every Sat night there is a game to help out and keep control of every1. Give them a break after all remember they are there cos it saves the town havin to PAY other stewarts to come in and do the same thing, the stewarts in Dublin dont do a lot lot until a row does braek out and then they jump in to try and stop it and they are getting paid. The stewarts @ Longford Town are genuine Supporters and they oftem miss out on the best games played in Flancare because they are doing THERE JOBS......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    too many ppl are willing to give out but do nothing about it on this forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast