Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was just wondering if someone could please make this into a poll

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doolin gets top marks for his work. Fenlon, much as i hate him, is an above average manager , but you can't argue with titles, so our very own Pat Dolan must get a mention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Doolin by a mile.
    Fenlon's good, but overrated, I think. For the amount of money he has at his disposal, Shels aren't doing as well as they could be.
    Would like to think that Stephen Kenny is good also, he's done well enough at Longford and Bohs.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

mmm

Buckley was by far the worst, we knew it when he was at athlone yet he walked into a title winning team at pats and prooved his crapness at rovers. O'Reirdon also at Sligo rovers was a much over hyped joke good to see they got rid of him. at the moment id have to say Doolin is doing well, but rynolds is still my bet to be the worst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire
    Fenlon's good, but overrated, I think. For the amount of money he has at his disposal, Shels aren't doing as well as they could be.
    We're champions, we're winning the league (Which, if we win it, would be the first two in a row in our history), we've gotten further in the champions league than any Irish team has ever managed before and we've a good chance of making the UEFA cup group stages. How well should we be doing?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    We're champions, we're winning the league (Which, if we win it, would be the first two in a row in our history), we've gotten further in the champions league than any Irish team has ever managed before and we've a good chance of making the UEFA cup group stages. How well should we be doing?
    Well I for one am not disagreeing with Shels achievements this year but out of 10 how would you rate the management. I only get to see Shels the few times a year but what really tests the management is when you are behind with only a few minutes left in a game. From what I can see Fenlon is a really good manager but you'd know best...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    How well should we be doing?
    Shels shouldn't be getting put out of the Cup by the likes of us, and should be top of the League by a fair margin at this stage of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea
    Well I for one am not disagreeing with Shels achievements this year but out of 10 how would you rate the management. I only get to see Shels the few times a year but what really tests the management is when you are behind with only a few minutes left in a game. From what I can see Fenlon is a really good manager but you'd know best...
    I rate him very very highly. He's excellent in the transfer market, rarely makes a bad buy and can spot a player, case in point being the St Pats reserve player he's turned into one of the most consistent players in the league. His tactics in Europe this year have been spot on because he was capable of learning from his mistakes before, which is a good sign in a manager. He's turned us into the most efficent team in the league and the character and team spirit in the side has to be put down to him aswell, and as you said the amount of times we've scored late crucial goals this season has been absolutley unbeliveble.

He's learned so much from his first two seasons in charge, it's amazing. He's nearly always spot on with his team selections and subs and isn't afraid to make the hard decisions. I rate him as the best manager in the league but then I am biased

Shels shouldn't be getting put out of the Cup by the likes of us, and should be top of the League by a fair margin at this stage of the season.
    Well, to be fair, the cup wasn't exactly a priority and it came in the middle of a massive European games for us. Look at UCD beating cork after the Inter Toto, we were bound to have a European hangover and it's cost us the cup, but despite the hangover we're still in pole position to win our very first two in a row being top with a game in hand. I really can't see how much more he could be doing, the cup was unfortunate but the league and europe more than make up for it. And I'm normally very critical of managers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Best: Pat Dolan, he's won league titles and has the best European record.
    Also, I suppose an honourable mention has to go to Fenlon aswell but apart form the two of them I don't think there are any outstanding managers in the el.

Worst: Take your pick from the rest of the chancers!
    Champions!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire
    Doolin by a mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by jofyisgod
    Doolin gets top marks for his work.
    I would think the best is Doolin
    I know it's very hard for me to be neutral on this, but Doolin was completely shown up by Pete Mahon tonight. Cork fans also will know how much has changed at UCD since Doolin screwed us over and Mahon took over a complete mess. Always thought highly of Stephen Kenny too. Ger Bickerstaff at Kilkenny seems to have done a good job as well.

Stephen Kelly hasn't exactly set the world alight since taking over at Athlone, even losing at home to Monaghan last week.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The interesting thing is that the old guard are on the way out. Richardson, Keely, King etc. are all out of the picture. The two up and coming managers in the EL are Fenlon and Doolin, both of whom went straight from playing careers into management. Kenny is young but not as good as people think. Buckley is gone now and will, I think, struggle to get back in. Dolan, as much as I like the guy, is a bit of a spoofer. He has no concept of budgets and St. Pat's are still paying for his era. Cork beware. Roddy is the ultimate spoofer, his time in the sun is over. Matthews, I think, should get out of Longford. He's gone stale down there, but I don't know who else would take on such a dirty coach. Giller was a great manager, but unfortunately work committments got the better of him. I'd have him at Rovers in a flash. In the first divison, Jim Gannon is doing a job at Dundalk. Then again, he mightn't be there too long

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Hoop
    The interesting thing is that the old guard are on the way out. Richardson, Keely, King etc. are all out of the picture. The two up and coming managers in the EL are Fenlon and Doolin, both of whom went straight from playing careers into management. Kenny is young but not as good as people think. Buckley is gone now and will, I think, struggle to get back in. Dolan, as much as I like the guy, is a bit of a spoofer. He has no concept of budgets and St. Pat's are still paying for his era. Cork beware. Roddy is the ultimate spoofer, his time in the sun is over. Matthews, I think, should get out of Longford. He's gone stale down there, but I don't know who else would take on such a dirty coach. Giller was a great manager, but unfortunately work committments got the better of him. I'd have him at Rovers in a flash. In the first divison, Jim Gannon is doing a job at Dundalk. Then again, he mightn't be there too long
    I think you've got that just about right about the newer generation but im undecided yet on Kenny.I'll have to wait until the new season to see what sort of an impact he makes. He was of course excellent at Longford considering the resources but didn't do too well at bohs.Derry were down in Longford last week and even though they lost 3-0 they played good football in the first half. Matthews is doing good recently but the start of the season was the worst football i have ever seen(hes not a dirty coach though)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Matthews is doing good recently but the start of the season was the worst football i have ever seen(hes not a dirty coach though)
    aaron is coach here, mayb thats who he is refering too!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Matthews, I think, should get out of Longford. He's gone stale down there, but I don't know who else would take on such a dirty coach.
    Dirty I wouldn't exactly call us dirty. OK, Barry might go in a bit hard now and then but I definately wouldn't call us dirty. We play 3 times as mush football as ye do when were both playing well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DE TOWN
    Dirty I wouldn't exactly call us dirty. OK, Barry might go in a bit hard now and then but I definately wouldn't call us dirty. We play 3 times as mush football as ye do when were both playing well.
    he just an aggressive defender!!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    he just an aggressive defender!!
    Exactly. He just likes to let the Forward know that he won't have an easy match I'd say Murph will feel it tonight

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    aaron is coach here, mayb thats who he is refering too!
    No I think he is referring to Alan e.g Ancellotti is the Milan coach i.e Manager

The Town are not a dirty team they just lose disciplne sometimes but it is never too serious. You should know Thirsty Hoop look at Dillo's sending off in Richmond...it was nothing!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    . I don't know who else would take on such a dirty coach.

Your club, to name but one..
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Maybe it's only against us but Rovers v Longford games rarely finish with 22 players on the pitch. Ferguson is a thug, every supporter in the EL will say that. Dillon was unlucky to get sent off last time, I'll give you that, but Longford do have a reputation across the league as being 'the new Bray' (i.e. dirty *******s).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast