Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drogs new Stadium - Part 2

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It might not be to do with injuries, I think a lot of players just hate playing on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    These kind of pitches do not cause injuries (already proven) and most of our players got injured on grass. The problem is it is terrible for players returning from injury. Added to the fact that ours has decreased in quality over the years, it has to be a case of when if not how it will be replaced. My advise to Drogs on their proposed new stadium on installing this type of pitch would be to stay well clear. A lot of junior and GAA clubs have them now, rental income even decreasing.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    The hope is to be back on grass for the start of the 2014 season.
    While many would prefer to be 'back to grass' in Oriel Park, I really cant see this happening in 12 months time.

As long as the pitch is meeting the licencing requirements (i.e. passing the annual UEFA test) I can't see the pitch replacement cost getting priority over team budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    In a nutshell while it is a good revenue earner the reputation of them it is somewhat prohibitive to the clubs growth.
    It is no longer a good earner and debatable if it ever really was.

The top top players in this league who can pick and choose clubs will not sign for a club who play on it.
    Dundalk are not currently in contention for the "top top players" as they are not offering the sort of money to attract them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    What I heard was that the club do not want the surface. However, it is not the club that is behind this stadium, it is a commercial consortium who want the additional revenue for renting the pitch out to junior clubs, other sports, and events.

To be honest the more I hear about it, the more I think the club need to be very careful. At least their current stadium is owned by the FAI. They have some security in that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The top top players in this league who can pick and choose clubs will not sign for a club who play on it.
    Yeah, the pitch, thats what's stopping them joining Dundalk
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    It's money stopping them joining Dundalk. We can't pay top dollar compared to other clubs. Everyone knows that most LOI players are mercenaries. I don't blame them either since their career is short.

If it's the pitch that's the quoted problem then maybe they are afraid of being caught out by a fast ball that doesn't have a pool of water or sod to slow it down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    It's money stopping them joining Dundalk. We can't pay top dollar compared to other clubs. Everyone knows that most LOI players are mercenaries. I don't blame them either since their career is short.
    Ultimeately, it is money. Non one can blame them.

Look at Pat's players. One minute they are kissing the badge. However, if they have a decent season, they are joining Shams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    However, it is not the club that is behind this stadium, it is a commercial consortium who want the additional revenue for renting the pitch out to junior clubs, other sports, and events.
    So Vincent Hoey and his cronies havent given up trying to recoup their money for their previous abortive plans after all. Was wondering why Hoey hung in there and didnt cut and run - or why Drog fans didnt run these guys out of the club all-together tbh. Its starting to sound a bit like the previous efforts to move out of United park albeit on a smaller scale. 3g pitches are everywhere now so can no longer see the commercial benefit as there may have been. But as i was once told by a Drogheda director, Drogs wouldnt need the revenue that may be generated by a 3G pitch like Dundalk would.

Now that GM has left Dundalk FC i wonder has he headed down the M1 for a piece of Drogheda action as it all sounds very like his rhetoric that we bought in to - almost to our demise! We have a YDC or big shed as our Louth neighbours call it out the back of Oriel if ye want to take it off our hands and get you started on becoming a proper community based club, we also might have some slightly used and scorched artificial grass ye could have too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123