Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerr the Comedian

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kerr the Comedian

Just read that Kerr had stated that Switzerland were favourites to win tommorows match. The Swiss have had 3 first choice players retire, 1 suspended and they have a few others out to injury. Then Kerr said they had the pyschological advantage cause they beat us the last two times, the bloody anger we have towards them will count for more, freis morrsison comment, the jeering at the irish bench after the goal, the fact that we were better than them and still lost out to a crap side. Hopefully their high scoring win will lead them into a false sense of security. Ireland to win. Kerr knows full well were favourites and that we should stuff them. You know i dont normally resent a team but we did ourselves such injustice the last time i really hope we tear them to pieces!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Kerr is no comedian, he knows the one constant and true golden rule of Irish football: We're **** when it comes to performing as favourites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Have you ever won the treble?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    your right conor they did outplay us, im not saying we deserved anything from either match, what im saying is we were a better team than them then and are a far better team now! If we lose to them tommorow, id say id feel worse than getting beaten by England! Its just we did ourselves such injustice the last time, and how in gods name are they favourites ahead of us? Because we have better players, are higher in the rankings, have qualified for more major tournaments recently?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eh Weh
    have qualified for more major tournaments recently?
    WC2002.....? You can't go back to '94 as Keane is the only survivor of that pack. I don't care what everyone says but I thought the Swiss did well at Euro 2004. They drew with Croatia, were way better than England for an hour until Haas got sent off, I didn't see the France match but from what I read it wasn't an easy match for the French. We haven't beaten a team of Switzerland's quality away from home in a qualifier since 1987 which means we certainly shouldn't be favourites.

Whether Kerr thinks we are favourites or not he's not going to admit it publicly and put more pressure on the players. He done the right thing in playing down our chances as we are twice as good as the underdogs.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, Kerr is definetly right to say we are the underdogs and take the pressure off. But theres no way he believes it, thats what i found amusing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    All the talk of revenge is one thing, but the swiss are no push overs. We will be doing well to get a 1 or 2 nill win

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Switzerland (11/8), Rep of Ireland (21/10), Draw (9/4)
    Is what oddschecker tells me.

I am glad we are not favourites, all the better should we win!

Not much value in the betting, 1-0 or 2-1 if you go for a win.

A Reid at 16-1 to be first goal scorer is a good price as he has
    his 'shooting boots' on.

2:0 at 14-1 is worth a small bet.

The under 21's lost 4:2 so beware!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    This is a very tricky encounter indeed. Most of the Swiss simply don't rate us and view us as hackers and "boring footballers". I'd gladly take a draw right now. I was at the match in Dublin (2-1) and the diamond has us running ragged. The Swiss will play a 4-1-2-1-2 (a/k/a the Diamond) which seems to confuse the hell out of us. I think we will need Keane to get into the middle of that diamond and break it or he should tail Yakin all match. Our wingers have to keep possession and draw their midfielders out so we have more space through the middle. Our defenders, especially our centre backs have to be careful not to commit too early to the attacking midfielder (Yakin) which is what did us in last time. Would like to see Keane getting a little neutralizer in on Yakin very early. No earthly clue what Kilbane is going to do. Would take a draw right now.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    think if we are ever going to beat them away its tonight,and why not ?.
    we are on the up and momemtum counts for a lot.
    good feeling "in the waters" about tonight

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I’m glad to see that there’s a sense of reality in this thread.

The Swiss are a decent side and we’ll have to play very well to beat them in Basle. They could easily have been a goal up against England before Rooney’s first (offside) goal. England struggled against their corners & frees. They drew with 10 men against Croatia and were holding France after 75 or 80 mins. FC Basle have beaten some very good teams at home in Europe too.

I’m confident we can beat them though and this is a real test of how far we’ve come and what we can achieve. I’d be nervous if Maybury starts though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Not sure if I said it here or on another forum, but I'd be happy with a draw and a good performance, as long as we do beat them next year at Lansdowne. I notice a big revenge factor creeping into the player's talk, and that is reassuring that we're definately up for this game after last year's debacle. A 1-1 would be nice, 2-1 would be really sweet

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well considering 3 first choice players have retired, one is suspended and they have a few out injured, wed better win. Im going to put a fiver on ireland to win by three goals to nil. odds are forty to one. I cant believe what im reading here, Switzeland are ranked about 46th in the world , now im not saying that the rankings are a hundred percent accurate, but they are 30 places behind us for a reason!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eh Weh
    Well considering 3 first choice players have retired, one is suspended and they have a few out injured, wed better win. Im going to put a fiver on ireland to win by three goals to nil. odds are forty to one. I cant believe what im reading here, Switzeland are ranked about 46th in the world , now im not saying that the rankings are a hundred percent accurate, but they are 30 places behind us for a reason!
    and they were probably 30 places behind us when they easily beat us 2-0 not that long ago....wisen up
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Dunno what you think of this but I feel theres a English fan mentality creeping into the Irish mindset. "We can beat anyone - who do you think you are to consider yourself favourites against us." Now I'm not talking about settling for a defeatist attitude but arrogance ****es me off no end. I blame this arrogance for the athmosphere decline in Lansdowne. And I'm not confusing arrogance with ambition.

Let us not forget that we have only just been beaten fairly and squarely by this side twice and they were shown for what they are in the competetion proper in Portugal. I put the Swiss as favourites and we have a job to turn that around.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob
    Dunno what you think of this but I feel theres a English fan mentality creeping into the Irish mindset. "We can beat anyone - who do you think you are to consider yourself favourites against us." Now I'm not talking about settling for a defeatist attitude but arrogance ****es me off no end. I blame this arrogance for the athmosphere decline in Lansdowne. And I'm not confusing arrogance with ambition.

Let us not forget that we have only just been beaten fairly and squarely by this side twice and they were shown for what they are in the competetion proper in Portugal. I put the Swiss as favourites and we have a job to turn that around.
    Why not we have a team of premiership allstars and a playing a team beflow us in the rankings we should expect to win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    and they were probably 30 places behind us when they easily beat us 2-0 not that long ago....wisen up
    Our own pathetic performance can't be used as an excuse to justify another one. The Swiss are average at best and missing players, anything less than a draw would be absolute failure but we should be going for the win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred
    Why not we have a team of premiership allstars and a playing a team beflow us in the rankings we should expect to win.

Missed my point completely. Nothing wrong with being ambitious but taking it to the next level where we assume we are so good that we should be given automatic passage to the world cup is foolish. That arrogance was in the fans and players after the last world cup campaign. Not a moment too soon in most of their young careers me thinks.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Our own pathetic performance can't be used as an excuse to justify another one. The Swiss are average at best and missing players, anything less than a draw would be absolute failure but we should be going for the win.
    fair point, and we were awful in both those games, I agree. However, some of the talk on this thread would have you believe we only have to turn up to win. We still have a fair few deficiencies in our game (goals scored per chances being a big one - your best mate Clint being the key culprit). The Swiss are an ordinary side, however they are organised have just scored 6 whilst keeping a clean sheet and will be up for this as much as we are.

France drew at home to Israel, would you consider this an absolute failure for the the French? because I still see them as being favourites for the group. Likewise if we do lose tonight, we are still in with a great chance of qualifying

nothing will be decided tonight.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred
    Yes, if we were playing at home or on neutral ground we would be outside favourites but our away record over the last 20 years is attrocious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast