Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Fianna Fáil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I really find it bizarre when people hold up Michael O'Leary as some beacon of good governance. He'd sell off every natural resource we have by 11am the day he took over.

edit: I'm not picking on you, benno, but this is something I hear quite often. What we need in this country are people who are the precise opposite of O'Leary - people with a social conscious who will prioritise welfare over "results". I have no doubt somebody like O'Leary would have a lot to offer in terms of cutting down waste and bureaucracy in the public sector, but he is very much the archetypal Fianna Failer.
    Yup, I've seen it before with the people who think Wal-Mart should run America. A government's first duty is to its citizens. All its citizens. A company's main duty, like it or not (and I don't), is to its shareholders. And the shareholders want the company to make stacks of money. Not care for the environment, not ensure that they pay fair wages, or treat their customers right, or comply with workpace safety regulations.

That's not to say that a good businessman mightn't be a good leader for the country, it's just not a necessary trait, and it's definitely not the only ​necessary trait.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I really find it bizarre when people hold up Michael O'Leary as some beacon of good governance. He'd sell off every natural resource we have by 11am the day he took over.

edit: I'm not picking on you, benno, but this is something I hear quite often. What we need in this country are people who are the precise opposite of O'Leary - people with a social conscious who will prioritise welfare over "results". I have no doubt somebody like O'Leary would have a lot to offer in terms of cutting down waste and bureaucracy in the public sector, but he is very much the archetypal Fianna Failer.
    I was joking, ha
    I agree with you

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    And the fickle (feckless, even?) electorate attach the electrodes to the rotting cadaver that is FF and jolt it back to life.

FF - 29%
    FG - 26&
    SF - 19%
    Other/Ind - 19%
    Lab - 8%
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0706/460...-opinion-poll/

Still, Frankenstein's monster was a work of fiction too, though less scary than a FF revival....
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

4. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Jaysus, I had assumed the latest poll would show a decrease for FF after the Anglo tapes came out. A parliamentary inquiry is starting to look like our only hope to apportion responsibility to the right people.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    If you throw in undecideds (which, over the last while, have always been a huge percentage), no political party has over 20% support.

Its one of the reasons I can't really bring myself to have much faith in polls right now as a realistic appraisal of national mindset. Sometimes 33% of people surveyed either don't know or don't have an opinion, and we're talking gaps between parties as low as 1 to 3 points.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Jaysus, I had assumed the latest poll would show a decrease for FF after the Anglo tapes came out. A parliamentary inquiry is starting to look like our only hope to apportion responsibility to the right people.
    Me too. But hey, the Irish people just keep on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    If you throw in undecideds (which, over the last while, have always been a huge percentage), no political party has over 20% support.

Its one of the reasons I can't really bring myself to have much faith in polls right now as a realistic appraisal of national mindset. Sometimes 33% of people surveyed either don't know or don't have an opinion, and we're talking gaps between parties as low as 1 to 3 points.
    While you're correct in your statements it is the fact that they are leading amongst the decided and in fact have more than 0.00000000001% of the potential vote that worries me. I'm thoroughly beyond disgusted. This country really has to consider it's viability if they ever get back into power. I will lead a coup on my return from Canada in 2016 if FF are in power.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Coups are so passé these days, Bonnie. It's all about interventions now. But this might help you get started: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23196311 . If you need a Colonel in Charge of Propaganda, where should I send the CV?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Coups are so passé these days, Bonnie. It's all about interventions now. But this might help you get started: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23196311 . If you need a Colonel in Charge of Propaganda, where should I send the CV?
    Jesus,
    c/o The Pentagon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Me too. But hey, the Irish people just keep on giving.

While you're correct in your statements it is the fact that they are leading amongst the decided and in fact have more than 0.00000000001% of the potential vote that worries me. I'm thoroughly beyond disgusted. This country really has to consider it's viability if they ever get back into power. I will lead a coup on my return from Canada in 2016 if FF are in power.
    Bit Bonnie surely Canada isnt that much better with that mong Harper in charge?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It isn't but thankfully Justin Trudeau will be in power by the time I'm there or shortly afterwards.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post

There's definitely an issue how they treat the undecideds, and it changes from polling company to polling company. Some are also based on who is likely to vote, rather than a straight opinion.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Oh look... there's a piece on Krank.ie today about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Krank.ie

Somehow, they haven’t gone away you know

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana

What a weekend that was.

Dublin win a Senior Leinster title in Hurling for the first time in 52 years. Dan Martin becomes the first Irishman to win a stage on the Tour de France since 1992. The Lions hammer Australia without BOD. Some Scottish guy won a tennis tournament. More Anglo-tapes. A train explosion in a small town in Canada. A plane crash at San Francisco airport. Major clashes in Egypt between Morsi’s supporters and the army. A referee beheaded at a soccer match in Brazil…

It was quite a weekend alright.

Hidden amongst all of that, the Sunday Independent released a poll conducted by Millward Brown.

This poll showed that Fianna Fáil had risen by 2 points since the last poll conducted in May.

Let us not forget that in the intervening period between the two polls we had the revelations of the Anglo-tapes. Surely a bank scandal such as this which is tied ever so tightly to Fianna Fáil and their horrendous management of the economy of this State would have ensured a collapse in their showing in this poll? Not at all.

The inexorable rise of Fianna Fáil in all polls since the General Election of 2011 is something that defies all logic. Or does it? Maybe logic is suspended in Ireland? Maybe we traded it along with the National Pension Reserve Fund to bail out our zombie banks? I’m almost certain we have.

The criticism of Fine Gael and their junior partner in coalition, Labour, since coming to power in 2011 has been nothing short of breathtaking. Admittedly they’ve made a mess of some things and there’s only so many times the Department of Health needs to be headline news in a period of austerity and recession; but Fianna Fáil aren’t the answer, especially to the question that pollsters are asking.

If an arsonist set your house on fire, would you ask them to help you put the fire out? No, you wouldn’t, and this is what we as a nation seem to be doing.

Ireland is calling on the Soldiers of Destiny to lead us back to the Holy Land of PPARS, electronic voting machines, tribunals, HSE creation, needless public sector pay rises, quango after quango after quango, giveaway budgets, little regulation of financial institutions, M50 toll-bridge contract scandal and the limitation of the Religious for liability stemming from abuse settlements… I could go on… So I will.

There were also the iodine tablets, Ned O’Keeffe’s bone-meal business, Padraig Flynn and his 3 houses, Bertie Ahern and his sterling (Or was it dollars? Or punts?) donations from Michael Wall, Ansbacher, Padraig Flynn, Charles Haughey’s 11m punts for favours, the Hugh O’Flaherty scandal, Bertie Ahern, Liam Lawlor’s chairmanship of the Dail Joint Ethics Committee, Bertie Ahern, Beverly Flynn and her case against RTE, Ray Burke and his Century Radio cash, Ray Burke and his developers cash, Bertie nominating Ray Burke as Justice Minister, Bertie “searching every tree in North Dublin” for Ray Burke, Padraig Flynn, Charlie Haughey and his pilfering of Brian Lenihan Srs. cancer fund, Ivor Callely and his bogus invoices, Bertie Ahern and his appointment of people to State Boards “not because they gave him money but because they were his friends”, the secret deals made with Independent TDs (Jackie Healy-Rae, Michael Lowry, Beverly Flynn) with OUR money for supporting his government majority, Bertie’s memory lapses during his cross-examination at the Mahon Tribunal, Bertie’s treatment of his former secretary Grainne Carruth…

That was exhausting. And it’s nowhere near exhaustive.

But sure you’ll say that this is a new Fianna Fáil, all of those people aren’t members of the parliamentary party anymore or are deceased etc.

Ah, but the current leader of Fianna Fáil is none other than Micheál Martin, the Champs’ son from the city of Cork.

Micheál Martin served as a minister under Bertie Ahern from 1997 until Ahern’s resignation in 2008 and from then on under the “stewardship” of Brian Cowen until 2011.

As a member of cabinet at every turn, Micheál balked at his responsibility to the Irish people.

He was the Minister for Health who was responsible for the creation of that paragon of efficiency, the HSE.

He was also in Hawkins House when the Nursing Home Charges scandal was costing the State nigh on 1bn euro.

He was responsible for the Ugandan Aid scandal. Oh what’s that you say? Well, when Micheál was Minister for Foreign Affairs, he sanctioned the Irish taxpayers money (to the tune of 166m euro pa) to be given to Uganda to fight the AIDS/HIV epidemic in the country. Unfortunately, this occurred around the time Uganda, who had not got a pot, were purchasing fighter jets from Russia and Tullow Oil were negotiating with the Ugandan government about mineral rights. I’m sure there’s no connection there though.

And of course he was a cabinet member on the fateful night of the Bank Guarantee. It was such a great idea Micheál had no issue with condemning Ireland to the current austerity which we face.

I think I have scandal fatigue at this stage.

Yeah, Fianna Fáil should lead the next government.

http://www.krank.ie/category/opinion...away-you-know/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Funny how former (Fianna Fail) Senator Francie O'Brien seems to have had no party allegiance...

Quote Originally Posted by RTE.ie
    Former senator Francie O'Brien pleads guilty to charge of extortion
    A former senator and chairman of Monaghan County Council has pleaded guilty at the circuit court to a charge of extortion.

Francie O'Brien, with an address at Corwillan, Latton, Castleblayney, pleaded guilty to a charge of demanding €100,000 with menaces from Michael Heelan.

The offence took place at Tullyvaragh Lower, Carrickmacross, in April 2012.

The 70-year-old was remanded on bail to appear before Carrick-on-Shannon Circuit Criminal Court in November for sentencing.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1011/479820-francie-obrien/

I'm not alleging any conspiracy but I’ve noticed an increasing erasure of Fianna Fail’s name being attached to former members being done on corruption. Convenient from RTE I’d say.

I need to root out the rest.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Likely to have the most local seats as it stands. Leaves them with a decent chance of being a government party again by 2016. This electorate, at times you can't help but think they deserve everything coming to them. I'm not a leftie at all, but even I have to look at this countries voting history (FF and FG always being in power or leading a coalition, no non-FF/FG Taoisigh) and be bothered by it.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I know, but the only thing is its council seats where sometimes a few hundred gets you elected, and they lost Dublin

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It's fairly unsettling that FF have returned to a position of such power so quickly. And more worrying is that many of the independents are far from independent and will be swimming back into the FF pool now that they're returning to a position of strength. It was pointed out last night that three of the "independents" elected in Wexford alone are ex-FF or strongly linked to FF.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    **** sake Ireland. Country of morons, we deserve everything we get. It's just a pity that so many good, intelligent people are going to be dragged down by the majority of idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I really hope Pat the Cope Gallagher doesnt get elected, now that would be a sad day

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Only bit of consolation I read was that the FF/FG vote overall is down, which is slightly positive if you take that a lot of people just bounce between the two.

Problem is, there's no real good option out there. FG are the same as FF (Noonan should be shot for openly saying he's trying to increase house prices), Sinn Féin have no grasp of basic economics and nobody seems to either have the guts or the intelligence to challenge the bankers on mortgage lending. In England, you have banks say they're putting tighter caps on lending, while the government are also at least talking about restricting help to buy (which only drives prices up). We've none of that here; we're happy to keep up with this relatively new trend of helping and encouraging people to get in as much debt as possible, thereby stymying the economy. That's more depressing than FF's votes going back up, tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Only bit of consolation I read was that the FF/FG vote overall is down, which is slightly positive if you take that a lot of people just bounce between the two.

Problem is, there's no real good option out there. FG are the same as FF (Noonan should be shot for openly saying he's trying to increase house prices), Sinn Féin have no grasp of basic economics and nobody seems to either have the guts or the intelligence to challenge the bankers on mortgage lending. In England, you have banks say they're putting tighter caps on lending, while the government are also at least talking about restricting help to buy (which only drives prices up). We've none of that here; we're happy to keep up with this relatively new trend of helping and encouraging people to get in as much debt as possible, thereby stymying the economy. That's more depressing than FF's votes going back up, tbh.
    I'll take both of them as equally depressing.

Now Gilmore is gone we'll have a general election by Christmas. Labour are a joke. Always have been. Always will be.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast