Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Fianna Fáil

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I am genuinely dismayed by that poll, dismayed but not surprised. From the off I didn't believe a word of the (now proven) lies FG and Lab were spouting in the run up to the election. The last election was one that could change the country for 2-3 generations and do a lot of genuine good. I hoped that FG would be left hanging by Labour and let the right wingers crack on and do something stupid (as they have been doing) and let Leo the Liar and his crowd destroy themselves AND FF. That way Labour could come in this year with SF and do some proper work. I was dumb, truly dumb for believing this could happen.

Sitting here in Moscow and thinking of how much crap goes on here, yet it doesn't change. VVP and his wife divorce on a whim (officially) and the country just yawns. Billions are misappropriated and the protesters of last year don't bother their backsides doing anything, why? Because the Moscow city government have made the city a haven of cafes, bars and comfortable public spaces - so sipping crappucino's and all that junk, the "middle class", or basically the talking heads who do sweet fa, are enjoying the summer and talking about how the government listened to them, and the media play along. So nothing changed. Nobody wanted change, they just wanted more cafes and the self-satisfaction of pretending they made changes.

In a sarcastic moment I liken it to the Irish sports meeja and their campaign against Trap, around the time of Germany they went all out with torrents of lies and guff to unseat him, and then when the man continued to introduced changes to the side they claimed victory in our time. Yet anyone with a head and knowledge of football began to like Trap as they felt there was something more going on. Here it's the same. Putin has amassed a fortune of $43billion, had a new home built by one of the Sochi construction companies - as a gift and nobody blinks. His ratings go up and nobody cares anymore.

How anybody could say - "sure they're all the same", no they're not! I'm far from a fan of SF, but they're rather different to the other lot, so wouldn't it be great that in a protest vote they were put in government. It won't happen because the ruling elite are going to make sure it won't happen. So this latest poll, just makes me think that it'd be better to take up that job offer in Turkmenistan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    "It's the economy, stupid."

FF have no economic policy, have no employment policy, have no viable policy at all, but at least they don't affect the Euro in the pocket anymore, so they will always get a hearing in a recession. Even if it's the one they created.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I'd go with that Mypost, but the last bye-election was won by....FG, and the daughter of the TD who'd committed suicide to leave the vacancy in the first place. If ever there was a reason to go on a rampage in Leinster House with a machine gun, that was it. Our people are incapable of electing competent representatives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I think that is rather unfair given the background of the election. She certainly wasn't elected for her political pedigree, but she was the only candidate that stopped FF taking the seat. FF should be completely condemned for the foreseeable future, and squealing that they're all the same is not good enough nor right either. This government was elected to make the decisions necessary for the nation to recover, and in the main, they have. But it's the Euro in the pocket that determines opinion polls and elections.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    It's the dynasticism that bugs me: people with no qualifications other than a blood line getting a sympathy vote from voters. We never created a republic here, just a playground for a right of centre, conservative, Catholic elite where people with an overweening sense of entitlement pretend they're engaged in politics, while, without even so much as a pretense at honesty, they build familial power blocks that would make a mafioso blush. One of my history lecturers told our class 20 years ago that the best textbook on Tudor Ireland, and Irish history/politics generally was Mario Puzo's The Godfather. We laughed - more fools us.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 17/06/2013 at 8:53 AM. Reason: More giving out!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Of course, there's always the fresh, radical alternative of Declan Ganley (again).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    There's no doubt in my mind that Ganley would u-turn on every single one of his policies if it suited him, with zero compunction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that Ganley would u-turn on every single one of his policies if it suited him, with zero compunction.
    So just like all the rest of them then!

I suppose he reckons he's seen a sorely neglected opening in the "untrustworthy right-wing snake" department.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The issue, same as in many other kleptocracies, is who would replace the current rubbish mascarading as the coalition? If it were the creation of a new type of government or even the liquidation of the current elite, their kin and kith, we'd still find a way to develop a patronage system to have the same old slime cover us. Declan Ganley has too many holes in his past to be a leader, though he can do well as a commentator, but that's it. Maybe we need to do a Mouse that Roared job on ourselves and get some good old USA dee-moh-cracy.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Every election there is already the chance to change the politicians representing us. In our STV PR system, the smaller parties/ independents have a chance, and do stand across the country. The people choose to vote between dumb and dumber and ultimately vote for Labour to go into coalition with one of them. (I have zero faith if Labour had said no to coalition, the media in this state (entirely right wing/ conservative (with a small c) would absolutely hammer them for not acting in the national interest, and they'd face the same decimation. This coalition is acting completely as it said it would, and anyone paying any attention to politics could see it was going to behave as it has. The giving out, and broken promises bs, says more about the electorate, than it does about the coalition - it's the different side of the same coin as FF going up in the polls.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I didn't want to start a new thread as it's wrong to give Paul Williams more air, though can anyone tell me how the Anglo tapes were obtained and who recorded them? Still trying to figure why they were released now, maybe to halt FF's gallop in the polls?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread as it's wrong to give Paul Williams more air, though can anyone tell me how the Anglo tapes were obtained and who recorded them? Still trying to figure why they were released now, maybe to halt FF's gallop in the polls?
    I can't answer how (or more importantly when) they were obtained, but I think it's standard practice in banking to record calls. If clients are giving instructions on, for example share dealings, on the phone, it's the banks back up.

As to why now, that's the real pertinent question. I really doubt INM going out to bat for anyone but FF - it certainly helps them spin they were lied to rather than they f*cked it all up. Shouldn't wash anyway - they instigated light touch regulation, so even if you believe that narrative it's still their fault! So FF rising in the polls, FF now able to spin "it was all the bankers", thanks to the people rejecting the referendum we can't hold a proper inquiry (so watered down, or a long tribunal) - that doesn't help anyone but FF.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    All calls in Treasury Depts of banks are recorded. This is not going to go away and FG need to go with it now. FFs credibility is facing the point of no return now.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    All calls in Treasury Depts of banks are recorded. This is not going to go away and FG need to go with it now. FFs credibility is facing the point of no return now.
    Don't get your hopes up. There will always be those who will say "Sure they may have ****ed the country up, have no plan for fixing it, no evidence they wouldn't just drive us even further into the **** than they did the last time, and are a bunch of corrupt, self-serving, thieving geebags, but my Dad voted for them back in the '70s, so I'm going to do the same. And they promised to build a swing set in Ballymafeckarse if they get in."

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    It was interesting that Kenny went on the attack against FF to such an extent yesterday when there has been little to tie in FF directly. Something tells me there is a lot more to come on this and that it's going to involve politicians.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Had to laugh when I saw Sean Fleming rejecting the idea of a parliamentary enquiry, saying those involved had to be tried criminally. Not at all an attempt to keep the full extent of FF's involvement out of the public forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. There will always be those who will say "Sure they may have ****ed the country up, have no plan for fixing it, no evidence they wouldn't just drive us even further into the **** than they did the last time, and are a bunch of corrupt, self-serving, thieving geebags, but my Dad voted for them back in the '70s, so I'm going to do the same. And they promised to build a swing set in Ballymafeckarse if they get in."
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It was interesting that Kenny went on the attack against FF to such an extent yesterday when there has been little to tie in FF directly. Something tells me there is a lot more to come on this and that it's going to involve politicians.
    Yip.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Had to laugh when I saw Sean Fleming rejecting the idea of a parliamentary enquiry, saying those involved had to be tried criminally. Not at all an attempt to keep the full extent of FF's involvement out of the public forum.
    Indeed.

I haven't heard any commentator consider why FG and Labour are insistent on a Parliamentary inquiry. And why FF keep saying that Criminal proceedings should be taken.

Come on now lads. It's as plain as the nose of Micheal's face.

Something is about to go down. And Micheal as a member of the cabinet on September 18th is gonna get whipped. Hopefully. I think the big guns are gonna be out in the Sindo on Sunday.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    This coalition is acting completely as it said it would, and anyone paying any attention to politics could see it was going to behave as it has. The giving out, and broken promises bs, says more about the electorate, than it does about the coalition - it's the different side of the same coin as FF going up in the polls.

Here here (not often I agree with you Macy but that was spot on!)
    It was so obvious but then the Irish electorate are a joke.
    Can we just get M O Leary to run the country and put us out of our misery

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I really find it bizarre when people hold up Michael O'Leary as some beacon of good governance. He'd sell off every natural resource we have by 11am the day he took over.

edit: I'm not picking on you, benno, but this is something I hear quite often. What we need in this country are people who are the precise opposite of O'Leary - people with a social conscious who will prioritise welfare over "results". I have no doubt somebody like O'Leary would have a lot to offer in terms of cutting down waste and bureaucracy in the public sector, but he is very much the archetypal Fianna Failer.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 29/06/2013 at 4:51 AM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Bang on. You might as well ask the Anglo scum to run the country.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast