Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Congratulations Sligo

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Dennehy was super for us last season - along with Sheppard he was the one player who never looked out of place in the Europa. I remember him making an absolute mug of England full back Kyle Walker for fun. McCabe I'd put in the ridiculously talented by inconsistent category. His technical ability is outstanding - far better than you'd see from the players produced by the Sky league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    You obviously saw your lads play more than I did, but McCabe and Finn were the only players that constantly impressed me this year. I thought McCabe was similar to when he played with us - narky dislikable little fecker, but always gave 100%.
    I thought the biggest mistake you made was not adding to the squad. A lot of players thought they were better than they were, and maybe Kenny agreed. Sheppard and Sullivan would be big losses to any side.
    People who haven't watched us all season tend to massively underestimate Baraclough. He handled a spate of injuries to key players by making good signings, and getting the best out of the players he did have by experimenting with positions. He wasn't afraid to drop Lynch and Quigley, ultimately our two big match-winners, to spark them into life either. He gave a lot of the lads a belief in success rather than just good football, that they lacked under Cook, and brought in a mental toughness that I honestly believe was worth at least a dozen points to us. He's under contract to the end of next season, but I'll be amazed if we can hold on to him any longer than that.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I could talk all day about the mistakes that were made. Not retaining Thompson was a bad mistake but not bringing him in when it was clear Jansson was out of his depth (it would have taken a month or two for a WP because they hadn't planned ahead) was criminal. I know people around here don't rate him but he stepped up when Mannus left us in the lurch last year and was a vital part of the title-winning side.

Kenny's signings were awful. I'd have taken a punt on Brennan and possibly Kavanagh but even Yeovil fans (f*cking Yeovil) were laughing when Gilbert signed. Why he didn't sign a striker to replace Sheppard is another mystery, especially as it was clear Twigg didn't have what it takes at European level. Sligo's signings were very astute.

The preparation was just all wrong. Even though Cook dicked Sligo around and made it so the new manager had no time to put his stamp on the team, he did leave them very well-poised to hit the ground running. Kenny's reign was unconvincing from the start and from t there he Drogs game on the opening day was an air of foreboding about it all, especially when Sligo scrapped that equaliser.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    That's something that was being repeated all season, but I never believed it. Always thought us and Pat's were fielding a better 11 week in week out. And if there was strength in depth, what explains the almost constant presence of Gilbert as a starter, or the extensive use of Dennehy?. I'm still not convinced Kenny was the main problem either, more a group of players who had lost their hunger and had started to believe their own headlines. That's part of the reason I won't be taking anything for granted for next season - it's going to be hard to reproduce the will to succeed that 35 years without the title gives you.

I'm glad someone gave Rogers a mention too. Hardly put a foot wrong all season. Doesn't look as flashy as, for example, Sava, but makes less mistakes, dominates in the air to an extent that must demoralise wingers who see decent crosses repeatedly go to waste, and his distribution, atrocious at the start of the season, got better and better every week. I had a lot of time for Clarke, but I thought Rogers was in a different class this season and was worth a good few points to us.
    As Charlie explained I was not questioning that Sligo were the better team (and no argument about Pats either) but on paper I believe shams have a stronger squad than both.
    Arguable that despite a paper thin squad Drogheda were putting out a better X1 than shams (based on results) but I doubt anyone would argue Shams squad not stronger than Drogs.

Agree with you Fivesilver RE Finn and Mccabe and had both in my Prem X1 in a seperate thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I know what you're saying, but I had my doubts about Shams from the start, even on paper (can't prove it but there were plenty of preseason pub conversations ^_^). And within a very short time of the season starting I was even more convinced of it. The centre-halves seemed to have completely lost their bite, midfield was disorganised and up front it was Twigg or nothing - which became a bigger problem once he lost interest a couple of months in.

As for at full-back, I couldn't believe it when we signed Conneely rather than Shams.

I thought Pat's had a squad full of quality from day one.

Cook had signed good players for us, but left before he had signed enough of them. The upshot was a skeleton squad, repeatedly alluded to on MNS at the time. You might recall us in Dalymount having to play a teenager at centre-half who was swamped at this level. The window didn't come a moment too soon.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If you read back on the threads here a few of our supporters were voicing very strong words of caution and many predicted Kenny would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    As for at full-back, I couldn't believe it when we signed Conneely rather than Shams.
    Can we have him next year? We'll even refrain from offering Gilbert a contract so you get first option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If you read back on the threads here a few of our supporters were voicing very strong words of caution and many predicted Kenny would be a disaster.

Can we have him next year? We'll even refrain from offering Gilbert a contract so you get first option
    Where now for Rovers ? Did we believe our own hype ? I would still have let Kenny see out the season. Jonathan Roche & Co. will earn their salt on the new appointment. I would like to know how the board split on the decision to remove Kenny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    I think mentioning a Rovers dynasty is just not realistic.
    In the end of the day it is money that wins leagues consistently.
    Yes you will get aberrations now and again but overall it is the clubs revenue stream that has the final say, as players, staff etc all follow the money.
    Its very possible we might take another title next season but when Shams get their act togethor and Cork eventually then we will inevitably fall down the pecking order. Because of our demographics we have very much hit the roof with regards to attendances, the fact that in the title run in we were lucky to top 3000 speaks volumes when the likes of Shams can top 5500 on their title run in and when Cork finally get their act togethor they could easily pull 5000+. With that level of interest combined with the fundraising and sponsorship spin offs plus the greater sponsorship opportunities means we are very much on borrowed time at the top of Irish football. It is basic economics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    We were all happy as pie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hoops. View Post
    Where now for Rovers ? Did we believe our own hype ? I would still have let Kenny see out the season. Jonathan Roche & Co. will earn their salt on the new appointment. I would like to know how the board split on the decision to remove Kenny.
    As I said elsewhere the timing of Kenny sacking was a punt (FAI Cup Qtr final and EA Sports Cup final imminent) which did not pay off. Next appointment will be vital for short/mid term future of shams. The Kenny experiment will prove expensive and cannot be repeated (from a shams viewpoint) it is so much easier to see crowds drift away than to get them back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    As I said elsewhere the timing of Kenny sacking was a punt (FAI Cup Qtr final and EA Sports Cup final imminent) which did not pay off. Next appointment will be vital for short/mid term future of shams. The Kenny experiment will prove expensive and cannot be repeated (from a shams viewpoint) it is so much easier to see crowds drift away than to get them back.
    Yeah, i think the honeymoon period since they've moved to Tallaght is now over. They are back to the hard graft of trying to get punters in if the next manager doesn't do it for them.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Yeah, i think the honeymoon period since they've moved to Tallaght is now over. They are back to the hard graft of trying to get punters in if the next manager doesn't do it for them.
    judging by your previous post's on the subject of Rovers, i'll take your concerns with the due amount of respect.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Fair play to John Terry for turning up at Sligos celebrations tonight....invited by Jason McGuinness i believe

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Well done Sligo. A good time to be Sligwegians.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Damn you Sligs. So close to being the only team to beat the league champions all season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    You can be happy enough Stu - you were the only team to beat us when it mattered at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Financial investigation looms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    Financial investigation looms.
    For Sligo? Who is doing the investigating?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

20. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345