Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Sligo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Deserved winners, the best team all season. Well done and enjoy your third season of glory
    Cheers and I fixed that for ya too.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Well done Sligo, played some great football this season and won the league in style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Sligo could dominate for a few years if they keep their manager and Squad together.

Pats would have to improve to challage as they most likely just fall short again, Drogs could loose some of their team and may not be as good next year. It is hard to know how good rovers will be next year

Bohs, Cork & Derry all going through a phase of rebuilding so it could be a few years before they can mount a serious chalange for the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    Sligo could dominate for a few years if they keep their manager and Squad together.

Pats would have to improve to challage as they most likely just fall short again, Drogs could loose some of their team and may not be as good next year. It is hard to know how good rovers will be next year

Bohs, Cork & Derry all going through a phase of rebuilding so it could be a few years before they can mount a serious chalange for the league
    Were Pat's really that far off though??
    I reckon they would have won the league had they Danny North instead of him being at Sligo. He was second in the scoring chart despite missing a large chunk through injury. From what I saw of Pats this season, they were crying out for a Danny North style striker to stick away the chances they were creating.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Were Pat's really that far off though??
    I reckon they would have won the league had they Danny North instead of him being at Sligo. He was second in the scoring chart despite missing a large chunk through injury. From what I saw of Pats this season, they were crying out for a Danny North style striker to stick away the chances they were creating.
    Perhaps in the early part of the season but Pats' season really got going when Fagan learned how to shoot. They would obviously have done better with a quality player like North but I don't think he and Fagan could play in the same team and they were arguably the two best strikers in the league this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    and they were arguably the two best strikers in the league this season.
    are you takin the pi$$.

fagan is a dreafull finisher and together with forrester's ability to get injured at the drop of a hat is the reason why pats were never going to win the league.

the best strikers score the most goals, just like the best teams win the league.

1.twigg
    2.north
    3.take your pick.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    are you takin the pi$$.

the best strikers score the most goals, just like the best teams win the league.

1.twigg
    2.north
    3.take your pick.
    Who knows how many goals North would have ended up with had he not got injured.
    As for a Twigg-less Rovers, who knows where the goals are going to come from now ... Rovers haven't seen his sort of consistency since the days of Larkin and Byrne. After all the progress since the move to Tallaght, methinks the wilderness awaits again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Goal keeping mistakes probably cost us the league. We also dropped 5 points after games in Europe which didn't help.
    Here on a technicality.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    are you takin the pi$$.

fagan is a dreafull finisher and together with forrester's ability to get injured at the drop of a hat is the reason why pats were never going to win the league.

1.twigg
    2.north
    3.take your pick.
    Twigg is probably the best finisher this league has ever seen but his all-round game is limited. Fagan is a better player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I think Twigg has shown, when it comes to European competition, and the step up in standard, that he's not able to compete at the higher standard.
    He may be a quality finisher, but his all round game play is very suspect at times as C.D has stated above.

If he was a better footballer in general, he would have made it at a much higher standard in my opinion.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Goal keeping mistakes probably cost us the league. We also dropped 5 points after games in Europe which didn't help.
    We certainly did better out of the Rogers / Clarke swap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Twigg is probably the best finisher this league has ever seen but his all-round game is limited. Fagan is a better player.
    People used to say the same about Brendan Bradley. He actually used to get abuse from Harps fans for being "lazy" and "a terrible footballer". This is the same guy who is still the record holder for the most amount of goals in League Of Ireland.

If only we had a young fit Bradley alongside Kevin McHugh for next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I think Twigg has shown, when it comes to European competition, and the step up in standard, that he's not able to compete at the higher standard.
    He may be a quality finisher, but his all round game play is very suspect at times as C.D has stated above.

If he was a better footballer in general, he would have made it at a much higher standard in my opinion.
    Twigg does have a limited game and has found his place/level at LOI but the fact is he has been the best striker in the League for the last 3/4 years. I have no doubt that had he been playing for Pats they would have (at least) run Sligo closer.

Personally I expect Pats to be a better more consistent team next season (they will have a season playing together) and with one maybe two signings I would expect them to seriously challenge next season.

Shams still probobly have the best squad in the League on paper. IF they can get a decent manager in and get the team organised they should also be there or there abouts in the title race.

Again, Sligo should be better side for having won the title and should agian compete but talk of a Sligo dynasty (as trainee suggests) is a bit premature at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Champions.

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well done Sligo!
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Well done Sligo. Delighted for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    are you takin the pi$$.

1.twigg
    2.north
    3.take your pick.
    Is he Korean?

Only four pages of congrats? Must be another poorly observed boycott going on somewhere...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Shams still probably have the best squad in the League on paper.
    That's something that was being repeated all season, but I never believed it. Always thought us and Pat's were fielding a better 11 week in week out. And if there was strength in depth, what explains the almost constant presence of Gilbert as a starter, or the extensive use of Dennehy?. I'm still not convinced Kenny was the main problem either, more a group of players who had lost their hunger and had started to believe their own headlines. That's part of the reason I won't be taking anything for granted for next season - it's going to be hard to reproduce the will to succeed that 35 years without the title gives you.

I'm glad someone gave Rogers a mention too. Hardly put a foot wrong all season. Doesn't look as flashy as, for example, Sava, but makes less mistakes, dominates in the air to an extent that must demoralise wingers who see decent crosses repeatedly go to waste, and his distribution, atrocious at the start of the season, got better and better every week. I had a lot of time for Clarke, but I thought Rogers was in a different class this season and was worth a good few points to us.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    That's something that was being repeated all season, but I never believed it. Always thought us and Pat's were fielding a better 11 week in week out. And if there was strength in depth, what explains the almost constant presence of Gilbert as a starter, or the extensive use of Dennehy? I'm still not convinced Kenny was the main problem either, more a group of players who had lost their hunger and had started to believe their own headlines. That's part of the reason I won't be taking anything for granted for next season - it's going to be hard to reproduce the will to succeed that 35 years without the title gives you.
    I think that's what was meant by 'on paper.' In terms of talent, Dennehy eclipses any winger in the league but he was woejus all year, although I still think one of our best players which is a damning indictment. Players like Oman, Powell and Brennan were the best in their positions in the league as recently as three years ago. On paper it was the strongest squad but in practice they just didn't have the desire or commitment to do it. I don't think hunger will be a problem for Sligo next year, they'll just find out that retaining a title can be more difficult than winning it.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I know what you mean, Dennehy has loads of skill, but there's no point in having all the talent in the world if you turn up and play crap for an entire season. I always judge opposition players on the basis of whether I'd like to see them play for us. McCabe I'd take back in a heartbeat (it may be his charming personality), but I wouldn't want to see Billy within an ass's roar of the Showgrounds. Same way as I was disappointed we lost Daryl Horgan but happy to see the back of Aaron Green.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast