Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap Out and/or Delaney Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Stephen Kelly refuses to board plane to Faroes? Must be some truth to it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2217770/Giovanni-Trapattoni-faces-Ireland-revolt.html
    Something must have really irked him, he seems a gentleman footballer in the mould of Kilbane.... professional pride on Tuesday will hopefully prevail and then the real business will be done before Greece friendly...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Don't know what truth you put on this, but the Indo is reporting that Trap could be gone after the Faroes game. Probably a beat up, but there is no smoke....With a few Irish managers looking for employment, maybe they have decided that the time is right to find a replacement.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-3258912.html
    Last edited by gastric; 15/10/2012 at 4:01 AM.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The players need to learn their place. Guys like Gibson, Ireland, and Kelly have all turned their back on their country. Shameful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    It's not a question of the quality of player pool available to him. It's a question of whether he was gotten the best out of what's available to him.

Going back to the start of Trapattoni's regime, the initial signs were positive. I recall us playing away to Norway and being extremely impressed we how we retained and controlled the ball. We were extremely comfortable on the ball, passing it around with ease. With the exception of Finnan, Reid and Kilbane, the team that played that game were all available to Trapattoni up to and including the Euros. So there hasn't been a significant change in the pool available to him to stop him from playing a more expansive game. He has chosen a more restrictive approach to games which in fairness to him has gotten the results we needed to qualify for a major championship.

Now that we were completely outplayed in the Euros necessitated that we take stock and look to change. We haven't done so. If anything we are moving towards a more restrictive and primitive approach to games. Trapattoni's comments that we were realistically always going to play second fiddle to Germany and we don't have the players isn't going to inspire confidence in anyone and isn't the rallying call that's needed after a record 6-1 home defeat.

I'm sure Trapattoni's days are numbered now but unfortunately it won't be soon enough for the Faroes, a game where another humiliation would appear to be on the cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    That Stephen Kelly bust up is another ignominious embarrassment. Kelly by all accounts is a real pro and fairly quiet. I'd have thought he'd be a Trap loyalist despite being left out on Friday too. Sinking ship.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I have a feeling that Trap is one of those managers who treats the players he picks regularly completely different to those generally on the fringes/not being selected.

Its funny though, before many were concerned about these communication issues and it was suggested that it was just being blown out of proportion. Now as the results start changing, everyone believes there is trouble in the camp and communication issues.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Don't know what truth you put on this, but the Indo is reporting that Trap could be gone after the Faroes game. Probably a beat up, but there is no smoke....With a few Irish managers looking for employment, maybe they have decided that the time is right to find a replacement.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-3258912.html
    The fella who wrote the article is now saying Trap is defo gone regardless of the result tomorrow night.
    Lets talk about six baby

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    It's not a question of the quality of player pool available to him. It's a question of whether he was gotten the best out of what's available to him.
    I'd agree with that.
    Why is that modest* players in a team like the Faroes can bridge a huge gap and play a decent effective passing game against a vastly superior team, but we end up by scapegoating individuals in our team as a large part of our weakness?
    Fans do love to point out just how cráp such and such a player is, yet the Faroes have a team composed of the cráppiest players in Europe.
    Some of our players are certainly not technically great but would function competently in a cohesive unit.

Some players confidence levels are affected more than others. Much of that has to do with the way players are set up to play, is not getting the best out the team and that seeps back into players. When the team tactics hit a brick wall, a string of humiliating games, the justifications for the way we are set up just don't hold water any more. Judging by McGeady, he was like a fish out of water on Friday evening, his confidence levels had dropped lower than his first important game for us, back when he was floundering on the wing in the mud at Slovakia away, he literally threw in the towel after 20 minutes against Germany. He's not grittiest of players but his confidence levels are primarily down to having no confidence in the plan.

* Defintion of modest players - mostly part time players in a local league, ranked amongst the lowest in Europe.
    Last edited by geysir; 15/10/2012 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    The fella who wrote the article is now saying Trap is defo gone regardless of the result tomorrow night.
    He tweeted: "As per this morning's paper, just a matter of time now before it's all over for Trapattoni. This regime has run its course.'

Seems to be reiterating what was in the paper. I'm not sure if that means he's gone within days or if he's a dead man walking who might hang on for sometime yet.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Hes gone no matter what the result on Tuesday which for me and I'm sure many others is a win-win situation. Get the three points and get rid of a divisive manager. The players meeting on Saturday put and end to Trapatonni's rein.. Delegation to the FAI and that was the end. Doubt anyone is lined up as new manager but you never know.. If O'Brien stumps up the money again don't rule out Redknapp. I would say it will be one of McCarthy or O'Leary. McCarthy has a lot of options so O'Leary who does not might be the frontrunner. It will have to be somebody out of work as there will be on compo payments to get an employed manager out of his contract.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 15/10/2012 at 11:36 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Daniel McDonnell wrote it, enough said. He's a good guy and can be a good journo, but he's been set on removing Trap since the INM battle heated up. The Indo is not good enough for bogroll.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Daniel McDonnell wrote it, enough said. He's a good guy and can be a good journo, but he's been set on removing Trap since the INM battle heated up. The Indo is not good enough for bogroll.
    The FAI have been leaking this story to other journos not just McDonnell.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I have a feeling that Trap is one of those managers who treats the players he picks regularly completely different to those generally on the fringes/not being selected.

Its funny though, before many were concerned about these communication issues and it was suggested that it was just being blown out of proportion. Now as the results start changing, everyone believes there is trouble in the camp and communication issues.
    Completely agree. It does not seem to be the happiest of camps and Trap strikes me as a guy who would have a core of loyal players around him. In fairness, I remember two of the great United and Liverpool players from the 60s (can't remember which ones) talking about Busby and Shankly and how they would be built up and their egos buttered when they were in the first team, but when they were injured or out of the 1st team, they were worthless. I guess football is a cut throat business.

What really strikes me is that Trap was loved by many of the players he had when he was a younger and perhaps more enthusiastic manager. Guys like Brady and Hamann mention this and you get the impression they would take a bullet for him. I think I read Markus Babbell commenting on this difference between Trap when he managed Bayern and then moved to manage Stuttgart some years later. Babell hinted at Trap being almost a totally different manager and that he seemed to have lost alot of the interest in for example coaching the younger players etc that he would have previously had.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    He's getting his info from Dennis O'Brien afaik.
    Lets talk about six baby

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    He's getting his info from Dennis O'Brien afaik.
    And pray tell how do you know? Seeing as he's been pushing to get rid of Trap since before DOB forced his way in, it'd be odd that he's continuing the same tune, plus it'd put DOB on a major payout and loss of face. Odd don't you think? Or know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Mypost and Owlsfan would still be loyal to the Trap at a guess. I've not seen them on here since Friday night, probably heading to the Faroes as I type this but I know they've defended him in the past.
    Doubt it. There's no direct bus...

I'll get my coat.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    On the whole Trap Out thing it's just like McCarthy all over again for me.

I wanted McCarthy gone after WC2002 not because I didn't want him as a manager but because of the obvious vitriol waiting in the wings once the next campaign got off to a bad start. He should have went on a high.
    Likewise, after the Euros, and regardless of the results there Trap should have left simply because this campaign was never gonna top the highs of the last 2 for him.
    I don't want to have bad memories of this guy; I still sometimes pinch myself at a manager like him being our coach. But he has taken us as far as he can 6-1 hammering or not.
    It's a shame it's come to this.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Mypost and Owlsfan would still be loyal to the Trap at a guess. I've not seen them on here since Friday night, probably heading to the Faroes as I type this but I know they've defended him in the past..
    There is way more than that, ones who consider themselves seasoned and reasoned posters on here, and one in particular who takes the populous opinion of the time, and yet in the past made out we were over-reacting with all these issues and it was being blown out of proportion. One in particular was going on like he had inside information and an air of arrogance how he deduced his information coming to the conclusion that his reading of the situation was more correct than anyone else. From the start its always been obvious there were problems with Trap and his communication and how he got on with some players. Its only been highlighted and taken heed of now because the results have followed the inevitable performances.

I'd be happy to name and shame them

I'm very worried about where we might go in this campaign with a new manager. I still(perhaps want to instead of) believe if Trap made the changes necessary and adapted that he could still get the results if he could keep all players onside, away from home. The likes of o'leary seriously worry me, even mccarthy he is too loyal and would make the same mistakes as Trap.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 15/10/2012 at 1:08 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    There is way more than that, ones who consider themselves seasoned and reasoned posters on here, and one in particular who takes the populous opinion of the time, and yet in the past made out we were over-reacting with all these issues and it was being blown out of proportion. One in particular was going on like he had inside information and an air of arrogance how he deduced his information coming to the conclusion that his reading of the situation was more correct than anyone else. From the start its always been obvious there were problems with Trap and his communication and how he got on with some players. Its only been highlighted and taken heed of now because the results have followed the inevitable performances.

It was shakermaker who made that initial quote. I was merely being "witty" about the resident space cadet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Why don't you then? You're always referring to posters here by how you perceive their attributes. Stop hiding and spit it out.

I share your concerns about Mick making same mistakes, but I think he'd be a lot better. I still highly rate Trap's away record and wish we could continue on same basis, but we are now rubbish at home and rubbish against strong teams. That's not just down to the quality of the players.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast