Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Bray Wanderers 2-2 UCD

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts

Bray Wanderers 2-2 UCD

UCD's two bétes noir - appalling refereeing and an inability to finish teams off - came back to haunt the Students again as, for the second time in a week, a last-minute goal cost UCD two points. Those four points would have had us five points clear going into the final ten games; instead, Kildare can narrow the gap to fourth to just six points with a win over Limerick on Saturday.

The first half was scrappy, with the wind not helping the play. Both sides had had half-chances - Alan Mahon creating Bray's best with a short back header - before UCD took the lead on 12 minutes. A ball over the top wrongfooted the Bray defence, and Robbie Martin was on hand to loft over the advancing keeper from the edge of the area to score his fourth goal in four games.

1-0 up away from home, it was time for UCD to fall asleep. And Bray took advantage and were well on top for the final twenty minutes or so of the first half, though it took a controversial equaliser for them to get back on terms. Éamon Zayed shimmied well past a UCD defender on the edge of the area, but then appeared to trip over himself as he moved in on goal. At the worst, it was a very soft challenge, but the referee had no hesitation in awarding Bray a penalty, which Zayed tucked away himself.

Half-time rollicking number twelve of the season was administered at half-time, and it worked for UCD, who were much the stronger team in the second half. Alan McNally came up from the back to beat the keeper to an Alan Mahon free-kick, but his header went agonisingly wide. Maurice Farrell, who had decked Brian Newguy on the opening day of the season and had to have the stewards lead him away from the away fans afterwards, came in for much abuse, and, in a near carbon copy of that incident, pushed Pat Sullivan into the advertising hoardings when trying to retrieve the ball for a throw. The ref cautioned both players, but two minutes later, the same two were at it again, when Farrell was over-rough in trying to get the ball off Sullivan for a throw, but again the referee let him go. Revenge was had by Sullivan ten minutes later when, it appears, he lost control of the ball in midfield and lunged in with a challenge, injuring himself in the process. Farrell was seen seconds later being led away by his team-mates, and when a groggy Sullivan finally got to his feet, he was shown the yellow card for his troubles.

UCD defended the free, and broke themselves immediately. The ball came out to Sullivan, who had hitherto been anonymous in an attacking sense, and he ran thirty yards with the Bray defence retreating, before feeding Mick O'Donnell on the overlap, who finished with a clinical shot from twelve yards.

With only fifteen minutes left at this stage, Bray threw everything into attack, but it was UCD who repeatedly caught them on the counter. Just a minute after the goal, Sullivan was in the thick of the action again, ghosting past one Bray defender in the box before being blatantly clipped from behind, but remarkably neither the referee, who was only five yards away, nor the linesman, who was directly in line with play, saw fit to give the penalty.

In the next ten minutes, UCD created a series of chances - Sullivan cut in from the right again and O'Connor had to be alert to save a shot through a couple of bodies, Philly Hughes had a fine first-time effort from outside the box turned away by O'Connor at his near post, Sullivan embarked on another run into the penalty box with the Bray defence practically non-existent only to shoot straight at O'Connor, Hughes almost took advantage of a Bray defender's missed header but somehow screwed his shot inches wide while a long-range Seán Finn effort was spilled by O'Connor with Willie Doyle - introduced as a late sub for his first appearance in the last five games - in close attention, but O'Connor and a defender just recovered to clear.

As the game became more end-to-end, Bray also had chances, with Kieran O'Brien at the heart of many, but Darren Quigley and Alan Mahon were imperious in defence, with the former rarely being seriously threatened.

Five minutes of injury time were played, and UCD spent much of that camped in the corner of the pitch, shielding the ball from the Seagulls. Bray forced a series of corners when they had the ball, and it was from one in the fifth minute of injury-time that they got their second controversial equaliser of the night. Quigley looked to have been impeded when going up to clear the corner, but the referee gave nothing, and O'Brien was on hand to drill home into the corner.

UCD tipped off, and the final whistle was blown.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, McAuley, Kenna, McNally; Murphy, Sullivan, Finn, O'Donnell; Hughes, Martin (Doyle). Subs not used - Whelan (GK), Dicker, McWalter, Foley

Att - c 800
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 06/09/2004 at 5:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Well now I was to far away from the peno incident to see it clearly but I had a great view of Tarzans goal and I dont think that there was anything wrong with it.U left out the Eddie Gormley incidents, the guy must of been on the pitch a full 7 minutes and attempted I think 2 too footed tackles but possibly 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Bray through everything into attack
    Boo!!!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    while a long-range Seán Finn effort was spilled by O'Connor with Willie Doyle - introduced as a late sub for his first appearance in the last five games - but O'Connor and a defender just recovered to clear.
    With Willie Doyle what? Boo-urns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Boo!!!
    Thought a draw was a totally fair reflection of the game myself. Both teams had spells wjen they were on top and thought UCD would catch us on the break and missed a SITTER right before Tarzan scored. It was never a foul on the keeper, was standing no more then 10 yards away fropm it and if anyone was impeeding him it was his own player, very poo attempted punch from him, he then missed it the 2nd time and tarzan lashed it in. Was great to see Jason Byrne celebrating when it went in ! jumping up and punching the air ! good to see his has'nt lost touch with the club who made him a legend

UCD played some great stuff and over ran Bray in midfield at times, but when devo made the changes and played 3-3-4 we looked quite dangerous. UCD's time wasting tactics back fired big time ! but such is football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69
    Thought a draw was a totally fair reflection of the game myself.
    He was booing the grammer, not the game.

Though I seem to remember him swearing a bit at the result too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    Though I seem to remember him swearing a bit at the result too.
    The result , the inbred kids , the ref , Maurice ****ing Farrell .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    The result - Fair
    The inbred kids - no worse than any other kids in the eL, just like the abuse the UCD kids gave Wolfe from Ramblerers a few weeks back
    The Ref - As bad for both sides
    Mo Farrell - Legend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    The result - Fair
    The inbred kids - no worse than any other kids in the eL, just like the abuse the UCD kids gave Wolfe from Ramblerers a few weeks back
    The Ref - As bad for both sides
    Mo Farrell - Legend
    But the grammar man, what about the grammar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    The difference was that the Bray kids insisted on sitting behind us, squeaking away for most of the match and throwing stuff at us to the usual complete inaction from the stewards who instead decided to complain about the fact we could be heard on the other side of the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    The difference was that the Bray kids insisted on sitting behind us, squeaking away for most of the match and throwing stuff at us to the usual complete inaction from the stewards who instead decided to complain about the fact we could be heard on the other side of the ground.
    Indeed, as annoying as the kids in Belfield Park can be, they're too middle class to spit at anyone, or throw coins or golf score-keepers at anyone. I've been to every club in Dublin, and Bray's knacker kids are by far the worst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I've been to every club in Dublin, and Bray's knacker kids are by far the worst.
    Agreed, shading it from Pats!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Indeed, as annoying as the kids in Belfield Park can be, they're too middle class to spit at anyone, or throw coins or golf score-keepers at anyone. I've been to every club in Dublin, and Bray's knacker kids are by far the worst.
    Have to disagree there, every club has a little section of young kids (8-12ish) that annoy away fans, none really worse than the other. Worst annoying kids i've had the pleasure of seeing where down in Cobh !

In all fairness, i reckon the kids in Bray are to scabby to throw coins away ! But i do agree that they are very annoying ! so bleedin high pitched and squeeky !

It would be a different story altogether now if we had a group like the Ultras and Casuals ! but we dont, no where near it ! there kids acting the maggot, nothing more than that really. every club has them no matter what way you look at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Have to disagree there, every club has a little section of young kids (8-12ish) that annoy away fans, none really worse than the other. Worst annoying kids i've had the pleasure of seeing where down in Cobh !
    So none are really worse than the other, but you've seen a group you'd label the worst?

[quote]In all fairness, i reckon the kids in Bray are to scabby to throw coins away ! [quote]
    Nice theory. In practice, they'll find something they're not worried about losing. I was hit three times, by some fairly hard objects, during the last game. Rovers fans, Pats fans and Shels fans have never thrown anything at me. The worst thing Bohs fans have chucked was a cup of soup, which missed.

It would be a different story altogether now if we had a group like the Ultras and Casuals ! but we dont, no where near it ! there kids acting the maggot, nothing more than that really. every club has them no matter what way you look at it.
    Do you know what an exclamation mark is? I see now why Schumi's first post was lost on you.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Damn pedants correcting my grammar! Makes my myriad other posts whingeing at other people for the same thing redundant now!

The timewasting in the corner was actually the correct thing to do - was delighted to see us do it because we've lost out before for not doing it. Technically, it's not timewasting either - timewasting has to have the ball out of play.

Hows about a poll on who has the worst knackery fans in the league? Could be interesting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Was great to see Jason Byrne celebrating when it went in ! jumping up and punching the air ! good to see his has'nt lost touch with the club who made him a legend
    Ah now we simply helped him on his way, and it's not like we got nothing outta the bargain (Jayo = Legend)

I can see Jayo finishing his career with us- perhaps his last 2 seasons- he may come back before the end to finish what he started and beat Tarzans record which wont be easy if Tarzan keeps popping up in the right place at the right time like last Friday!!!

Is Willie Doyle on his way to breaking any records at College or whats d story?- UCD's front men seem up to prem standanrd in anyway- yar just lucky Wesley was'nt in the Country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull
    Is Willie Doyle on his way to breaking any records at College or whats d story?- UCD's front men seem up to prem standanrd in anyway- yar just lucky Wesley was'nt in the Country
    He's aready scored more league goals this season than any previous striker has managed in a whole season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't like children.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com