Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Real Northside Derby (City-Bohs ratings)

Sheridan

The Real Northside Derby (City-Bohs ratings)

Yes, it’s only a point. Yes, we realistically needed three. Yes, we were under the cosh for almost the entire game. But look on the bright side: having dominated teams consistently all season only to let them off the hook with crazy defending, our back four and goalkeeper held out under a ninety-minute barrage without once offering their opponents a cheap shot at goal. In the circumstances, a third (yes, that’s all) clean sheet of the season was highly commendable.

A word about the referee. Well, several words. (If I had to restrict myself to one, it would be four letters long and anatomically descriptive.) I don’t know what Ian Stokes was playing at. I don’t know if it was just another manifestation of the victimisation of Dublin City FC that has spread from the media to the refereeing corps since the start of the season. I don’t know if he had personal reasons for behaving as he did. All I know is that if his superiors had a set of balls between them, instead of hiding behind the referee’s assessor rubberstamp, they would not allow this pompous, dishonest charlatan to referee a league match again this season. In fact, he ought to be banned from owning a whistle, just in case.

Had he pulled this stunt at a Bohs-Rovers game, the guards would probably have had a riot on their hands. Someone needs to take a brave decision for once and rein him in before he causes serious trouble for himself and others.

Barry Ryan: 9.5Man of the Match
    Sometimes, a goalkeeper wins man of the match by keeping his team in the game with a series of spectacular and/or lucky saves made with every part of his anatomy. That wasn’t the case last night. Barry’s performance was an object lesson in the art of goalkeeping. It wasn’t luck, it wasn’t one of those short-term instances of inspiration enjoyed by even the most average of players. It was a cool, controlled, composed display of flawless technique, as noteworthy and praiseworthy as that of any midfield maestro. Distribution could have been a little more intelligent after City were reduced in numbers, but that’s like telling Da Vinci he missed a bit on the Mona Lisa's forehead.

Ronnie Henry: 8
    Vast improvement on form to date. I’m not sure if it was Ronnie who made that heroic, barrelling, late challenge on the unmarked Crowe, but if it was, he deserves a Victoria Cross, never mind 8/10. Gets an extra half-mark for his Byronic pencil moustache, bringing a touch of 19th Century Romanticism to the eircom League.

Keith Rowland: 7.5
    Very hard to find fault with Keith’s battling performance, although the defensive reshuffle that followed Marc Kenny’s dismissal forced the Northern Irish international to desert his post at left-back and allowed Ryan and Rice to briefly run amok. Never got much of an opportunity to push on offensively, but angled a few decent set-pieces into the box.

Grant Cooper: 8.5
    Now that’s what he’s capable of. Hard to recall Grant losing a header all night. All-round defensive work top-notch. Has Roddy pulled off another Hunt-like coup in tapping the hidden potential of an alleged British “journeyman?”

Carlton Palmer: 9
    Gobbled up anything hit above chest-height and, together with Cooper, totally negated Bohemians’ vaunted strikeforce. Wouldn’t fancy his chances if isolated one-on-one with a speedy striker, but that could be said of 90% of defenders in this league. Shoved a lot of ill-informed criticism down a lot of throats with his performance.

Shaun Byrne: 6.5
    Worked hard, but the pattern of the game forced Shaun to retreat behind the barricades with his comrades, lessening his influence as an attacking force.

Adam Rundle: 6.5
    See Shaun Byrne. Did a lot of good work defensively.

Scott Friel: 6
    Put himself about to good effect on occasion, but fairly average on the night before being withdrawn.

Marc Kenny: 5.5
    Was doing okay until he got himself sent off for dissent (in his defence, it was never a foul; also, his first yellow card was awarded for an offence orders of magnitude less severe than the stuff Stokes was letting Bohs get away with it.) As captain, however, he should have known better than to mouth off to a ref who was obviously determined to stitch his team up.

Gary O’Neill: 7
    For once, Hawkins got the better of him, but Gary’s tireless running transformed a couple of lost causes into genuine goalscoring opportunities. Got kicked all over the park without receiving any protection from the officials, as usual.

Efan Ekoku: 5
    Looked a top-class player for the first two minutes, but hardly touched the ball thereafter. Fluffed the one chance that came his way. Admittedly, the ball seldom left City’s half for the final hour of the game, but it is to be fervently hoped that Efan has a bit more in his tank than he showed last night.

SUBS:

Toccy: 7
    Buzzed along the midfield line with great enthusiasm and orchestrated several promising counter-attacks. Should probably have stuck away City's best chance of the match late on.

Cathal O’Connor: 7
    An absolute terror on the break. Denied a stonewall penalty at the death by the craven coward in yellow.

Alex Nesovic: 6.5
    Only on for around eight minutes, but showed a surprising amount of energy and enterprise in that time. Should push Ekoku for a starting spot against Shels.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan

A word about the referee. Well, several words. (If I had to restrict myself to one, it would be four letters long and anatomically descriptive.) I don’t know what Ian Stokes was playing at. I don’t know if it was just another manifestation of the victimisation of Dublin City FC that has spread from the media to the refereeing corps since the start of the season. I don’t know if he had personal reasons for behaving as he did. All I know is that if his superiors had a set of balls between them, instead of hiding behind the referee’s assessor rubberstamp, they would not allow this pompous, dishonest charlatan to referee a league match again this season. In fact, he ought to be banned from owning a whistle, just in case.
    Its nothing personal against DCFC, Sheridan, Stokes is a completely incompetent assh*le all of the time.....

Sheridan
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Its nothing personal against DCFC, Sheridan, Stokes is a completely incompetent assh*le all of the time.....
    In this instance, you're right. But we've been systematically ripped off by refs all season (probably because we have such small attendances that the "home town" factor goes in favour of the other team regardless of whether we're home or away; well, that amongst other things.) I don't think incompetence explains bias of the kind Stokes showed last night, though. I mean, Kelly is pretty incompetent much of the time, but at least he's honest. Stokes' performance last night could only be explained by sheer malice, at the very best.