Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do LOI players get paid?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

How much do LOI players get paid?

Is this information public? I think it is an excellent way to compare the quality of the league to other leagues. Can anyone tell me where I can find information like average wage, top earner for each team, top earner for the league and total payroll for each team per season? Thanks very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Glen Crowe is the top earner, on about €5,000 a week plus bonuses.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Try Football Manager :-) it's about as realistic as figures submitted to the FAI and how Roddy gets his new signings (old Dublin City joke)

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I think it is an excellent way to compare the quality of the league to other leagues.
    Seriously?

I doubt that info is in the public domain anyway.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    No reason it should be either.

There seems to be an addiction in society lately to having other people's salaries made public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Sorry, I'm here in North America where all salaries from any professional sports leagues are public by law. I'd like to know solely to compare the quality of leagues. It makes sense that the more a club is willing to pay players, the better players will play for that club. Not always true I realise, lots of times players will take less salary to play for their hometown club, etc.

I remember when Shamrock Rovers played the Danish champions in the Champions League last summer. They played well and only lost 1-0 away, which was an excellent result. They almost went up 1-0 in the return leg if I remember correctly, as they played extremely well and dominated the first twenty-five minutes or so, even hitting the woodwork at one point. In the second half though, Copenhagen kicked things into another gear and I realised just how much of a gulf in quality between the two sides there was.

What kind of investment would be needed to make a LOI competitive with teams like Copenhagen? When you say Glen Crowe is on five thousand euro a week, how much is that per year? Does he get paid only during the weeks of the season or can I just multiply by 52 and have a nice round figure for his gross earnings? Here in North America all annual salaries are in the public domain so it is much easier to see who is getting paid what.

I've often seen people on here contend that the LOI is roughly on par in terms of quality with the lower half of the Championship/upper half of League 1 in England. Is this a fair assumption? How do the earnings of players compare? Surely every starter in the Championship would be on at least five thousand euro a week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    youve been whooshed there lad. Glen Crowe plays Leinster Senior League. No one in the LOI is on as much as €5,000 a year, not even close. Very few players on even a fifth of that anymore.

Majority of players are paid on a 40 week (Correct me if I'm wrong) season, but the numbers are made available, these guys don't get paid very much, a large number of them have full time jobs.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Most LOI players would be on part-time contracts, apart from a few at the likes of Sligo and Shams (can't remember offhand which other clubs are full-time, and a few will have some full-timers and some part-timers).

I couldn't find any accounts or anything, but according to this article: http://www.independent.ie/national-n...g-2859472.html the weekly wage bill at Shams last season was around €15,000 between a playing squad of 22, plus a coaching staff of say 5, that works out as an average of around €550 a week, and they would almost certainly have the biggest budget in the league these days.

Michael O'Neill said before the Spurs game that the annual budget for the entire club is €600,000, which would mean that the 65% wage cap is €390,000, or €7500 a week.

This article has the less-than-reliable Seán Caffrey saying Shams have a wage bill of €30k a week, with Sligo around €20k, Derry €18k and St. Pat's around €22k.

It's hard to work out what the actual figures are (I'd say they lie somewhere between Michael O'Neill and the Indo), but as a rough figure, most players would be comfortably under €1,000 a week, most probably closer to €400.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Majority of players are paid on a 40 week (Correct me if I'm wrong) season, but the numbers are made available, these guys don't get paid very much
    except Joe Gamble of course.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Well Harps entire budget including management is €2,500 per week so make of that what you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    except Joe Gamble of course.
    He's on eighty bajillion a week. It's a disgrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    He's on eighty bajillion a week. It's a disgrace Joe!
    I know of some players with Shams that are on more than 1k a week.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    I know of some players with Shams that are on more than 1k a week.
    Really? Which ones? That's got to be pushing down the average wage for some of the others pretty badly!

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    You have to be careful when speaking about weekly wages in an LOI or European (dodgy country) context. Bonuses are often not calculated. nor is accommodation, transport, expenses etc. Though I do think the FAI licensing needs to have them shown in full. An example from here.

Samuel Eto'o is on a reported 20million euros a year - (no matter what he has to pay 13% tax) - and the club are paying 80,000euros a month for his apartment in Moscow. Now, the apartment (which is on 4 storeys) was listed at 30,000euros a month in January 2011, so why has the price jumped? Much of what is written about wages is complete tosh. Same with transfer fees. The best way to lower your tax payments on profits, or a windfall, is to "invest" in a football club's playing staff. Then again, in Ireland...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Wages negotiated individually betwen player and club and there can be a huge difference within the same club. Even within clubs individual contract details are known to a few (usually involved in the negotiations) all the rest are speculation/guesstimates/urban myth. If I recall right US employed a central contract system which explains the increased transperency as against the irish (European) model. As Spud outlined accomadation, cars etc sometimes make up part of the package further muddying the issue

Absolutely no link whatsoever between wages paid and standard of League (except that hiogher wage should attract higher standard player - or David Beckham). Wages paid most closely linked to available money in geographical juristiction and number of individuals with large egos
    Last edited by marinobohs; 02/10/2012 at 2:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Its definitely a North American thing. You can see them all here;
    http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

latest here;
    http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/Augu...0By%20Club.pdf

Ex LOI player Ryan Guy is on $44,000 dollars per year. He was on more with Pats before he left. There's nobody with Pats on anything near that now.

Wonder how that fits in with Colbert's twisted logic
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Absolutely no link whatsoever between wages paid and standard of League (except that hiogher wage should attract higher standard player - or David Beckham). Wages paid most closely linked to available money in geographical juristiction and number of individuals with large egos
    I think there's a threshold where the wages start to affect the standard of the league. I'd move to Sweden or Austria if I was going to be paid enough to cover my moving costs, and to make up for the hassle of trying to adust me and my family, if I had one, to the new language and culture. Most players wouldn't leave a £300 a week contract in Ireland because a club in Romania is offering £400, and a 33% wage boost is not to be sniffed at. The percentage is good, but the actual amount in real terms doesn't justify moving.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd be very surprised if there was many players/if any in the league outside of maybe Sligo and Shamrock Rovers, earning more than 500 a week.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    What do players earn in League 1/League 2 over in England? I get the point that nobody from Ireland is going to move to Romania for an extra fifty euro a week, but a move to England for the same money I think most players would consider. No major language or cultural differences. Can someone give me a better way to compare leagues? UEFA have given the LOI a coefficient number of 7.375, but England and Spain are both on 84. Are their leagues really twelve times better than ours? A one off performance in Europe is hardly a great way to rate the leagues, in my opinion. I'm well aware of how the coefficient rankings are calculated, and it obviously favours bigger footballing nations like England who have multiple teams go straight into the group stages of the CL.

This all came from a guy who posted in the International forum and questioned why someone else figured reserve players for Championship teams would be on average better players than u-19 players for LOI teams. Surely the reserve players in the Championship in England would be on five or even ten times the money?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Reserve players is a poor comparison. There's a lot of lads who sign with an English club at 16 and progress to the Reserves. They then often get released and come back home. They'll have been on much more money in England but don't turn out to be any better than players in the LOI.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast