Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: PFAI warns of players' strike over insurance cover shortfall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post PFAI warns of players' strike over insurance cover shortfall

THE PFAI have warned that League of Ireland players could go on strike next season if clubs do not improve their insurance cover. The case of Waterford United's Gary Dunphy has highlighted a major flaw in the current system. The 25-year-old needs surgery on both hips and is suffering from the sportsman's hernia known as 'Gilmore's Groin'.

However, his club's insurance policy does not cover 'wear and tear' injuries and, as a result, the five-year servant of the Blues faces the possibility of being without a club and with a large medical bill at the end of the season. PFAI chief executive Stephen McGuinness explained the issue yesterday, saying that the FAI used to foot the bill for insurance, but this had stopped in recent seasons. And he urged the clubs and the association to get together and sort out the additional coverage or else players could refuse to play next season.
    "With the feedback I've got from the whole committee, I've a feeling that, if it's not sorted, they won't go on the field next year," McGuinness said ....

Read more at www.independent.ie

The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    THE PFAI have warned that League of Ireland players could go on strike next season if clubs do not improve their insurance cover. The case of Waterford United's Gary Dunphy has highlighted a major flaw in the current system. The 25-year-old needs surgery on both hips and is suffering from the sportsman's hernia known as 'Gilmore's Groin'.

However, his club's insurance policy does not cover 'wear and tear' injuries and, as a result, the five-year servant of the Blues faces the possibility of being without a club and with a large medical bill at the end of the season. PFAI chief executive Stephen McGuinness explained the issue yesterday, saying that the FAI used to foot the bill for insurance, but this had stopped in recent seasons. And he urged the clubs and the association to get together and sort out the additional coverage or else players could refuse to play next

season.
    "With the feedback I've got from the whole committee, I've a feeling that, if it's not sorted, they won't go on the field next year," McGuinness said .

[/URL]

I wonder if the PFAI have taken out insurance to cover Attention Deficit Disorder treatment for it`s publicity hungry senior staff.?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I've a feeling - what, that tonight's gonna be a good night? Can somebody, for the love of god, go and give Stephen some media training. This type of crud completely undermines the good work they can do. This is a good issue to bring to light, but christ almighty, it's non-sensical to ruin a good point with rotten rhetoric.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I don't like McGuinness at all, and that's putting it very nicely, but this is something that needs to be sorted out. Players should have complete coverage, it should be covered by the clubs and be a prerequisite of licensing.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Threatening a strike as your opening move. FFS. Maybe the PFAI should just raise their subs a bit and do this themselves.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Threatening a strike as your opening move. FFS. Maybe the PFAI should just raise their subs a bit and do this themselves.
    He's a one trick pony, hes on the offensive all the time, strike ..... pfft !!!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I don't like McGuinness at all, and that's putting it very nicely, but this is something that needs to be sorted out. Players should have complete coverage, it should be covered by the clubs and be a prerequisite of licensing.
    Something that needs to be sorted out by talking to the relevant authorities (and clubs) and seeking an agreed outcome. In the event this does not reach an agreed outcome then (and only then) other means should be considered.

McGuinness seems to have no alternative approach except threaten clubs with strikes at every oppurtunity. Eventually the clowns bluff will be called (to nobodys benifit)
    Last edited by marinobohs; 01/10/2012 at 3:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Something that needs to be sorted out by talking to the relevant authorities (and clubs) and seeking an agreed outcome. In the event this does not reach an agreed outcome then (and only then) other means should be considered.

McGuinness seems to have no alternative except threaten clubs with strikes at every oppurtunity. Eventually the clowns bluff will be called (to nobodys benifit)
    I wonder do the players even recognise what he's signing them up for? Are they happy that this is the way talks are being conducted on their behalf?

And for the record, the objective i have no problem with, its a completely valid expectation that players would be covered, and all stakeholders should subscribe to talks and nail it down in the close season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I wonder do the players even recognise what he's signing them up for?
    Players sre very aware of what McGuinness is doing. mainly because he can't shut the **** up about anything.

As above his rhetoric is beyond tiresome
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post

McGuinness seems to have no alternative approach except threaten clubs with strikes at every oppurtunity. Eventually the clowns bluff will be called (to nobodys benifit)
    Sorry if i gave the impression i was agreeing with his approach. I wasnt. I have never agreed with his approach and this is one of the few times i agree with his sentiment.