Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obscure, surprise Ireland goals that you went nuts over!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It was sold out. I was in a different end of the ground than usual, oddly enough. We should really ask the Swiss for tips on how to qualify for tournaments, they seem to be better than us at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There ya go!

Went to the match with a friend who was Irish/Swiss. Game was sold out (remember those days?), but she was able to sort away tickets.
    Met Gary Kelly's sister before that game, she made a young lad very happy with an autographed photo of the man. Woeful game...

The Doherty-forced OG and Doyle's against the Kazakhs spring immediately to mind. St Ledger's late would-be winner against Italy. Richard Dunne scoring a late equaliser in a home friendly against Turkey, remember that being good craic. Drew 2-2, they subbed their sub keeper because he was woeful but he ended up being the only one not to concede.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Is there such a thing as an obscure Irish goal? Don't think so! This thread is bringing back lots of memories, particularly the ones mentioned by Stutts and Geysir. Does anyone remember a screamer from Tony Grealish against Cyprus at Lansdowne? I think we won 6-0, and as my memory is getting worse, I think he shot from near the halfway line? I hope someone remembers it, that or I am going mad!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Somebody scored a late goal for Ireland in a game against somebody. It's so obscure that I've forgotten the scorer and opponent, but it made me about 70 pounds (pounds!) as it made my score prediction correct. My reaction was completely out of proportion to the importance of the goal relative to Ireland's group progression.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Is there such a thing as an obscure Irish goal? Don't think so! This thread is bringing back lots of memories, particularly the ones mentioned by Stutts and Geysir. Does anyone remember a screamer from Tony Grealish against Cyprus at Lansdowne? I think we won 6-0, and as my memory is getting worse, I think he shot from near the halfway line? I hope someone remembers it, that or I am going mad!
    Yep, I remember it well. An absolute belter. Another Weds afternoon game. I think I was playing rugby for the school but saw the highlights later. Rugby also caused me to miss a 1-1 home draw v England. Latchford & Daly the scorers?

Has anyone mentioned Brady's cool-as-fcuk last minute penalty in the Heysel?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Sitting in a road stop cafe with my Dad in 2002, north of Istanbul on the way home. Ireland vs Cameroon, Ireland go a goal down, then Matt Holland wallops one home. Went mental, roared something quite harsh at the tv but aimed at Roy Keane - something along the lines of what he could stuff and where. The owners of the place (who earlier disapproved of my changing and washing in the bathroom - saying it wasn't Sweden - sent over coffee for us). I remember the food was terrible, and then we drove on non-stop with our first proper sleep being in Holland.

Miserable night sitting in a pub in Dungarven, watching Ireland struggle against a motivated Maltese side and everyone slagging off Stan. Everybody calling him finished, a waster etc. I was cheesed off big time as I backed Ireland to win, 50quid at the time, and was sweating, then that goal. Interesting note, certain Irish players had to be rounded up in the early hours of that game day from the fleshpots of Paceville, including certain Spice Boys who were rather the worse for wear.

But for me the most obscure goal was a lifetime earlier, in 1990, leaving at half time and standing outside my old school (or school as it was then) in the shadow of Lansdowne and listening to Ireland-USSR updates. I'd to go to a debate and was meeting the rest of the crew, when suddenly an almighty roar went up and I only later found out it was Stan from a free kick.

But the funniest reaction for an Irish goal and probably the oddest goal celebration I witnessed for Ireland was John Aldridge's shinner against Tunisia, when Pat Scully attempted a sharia type decapitation on a Tunisian. Turned out that a former colleague was there that day on and he got a matchball. When Aldridge scored there was a genuine "Ah sure, isn't that lovely, poor wee boll!x" tone about the place. I think it was 20-odd games without hitting the net and then he gets 2, he just didn't know where to look.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I got a ball signed by the Irish squad that drew 3-3 at home to Spain. What a game that was.

The thing with Aldo's first goal was that Houghton did all the work and would have scored himself, except knowing all the fuss over Aldo he just set it up for a tap in for him. If only Aldo hadn't missed a penno on his debut.

What school was that? Marist school just behind South Terrace?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    That's the goal, we were up on the South Terrace and he miskicked it.

No, the Marist School (Marion College) was the reaction by JC McQuaid to my old school - Sandymount HS, which is sadly (for education sake) now a housing development called Cannon Place. Absolutely loved the school and was there for just over half of 5th year and all of 6th year. Some mad teachers, hilarious Principal and great craic. We used to get freebie tickets into Lansdowne and if we didn't we'd nip in through the side gate (near the rugby pitches). It got kind of blase to see the Irish players after a while - we'd be leaving school and they'd be coming in/out of a warm up. Heady days.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    A goal I went nuts about too was Stapleton's disallowed goal against Belgium. We had become so conditioned to feeling hard done by that it came in one way as no surprise, and yet it peed me off so much. This was a time when we genuinely felt there was a conspiracy against us by the governing bodies to stop us qualifying for a major tournament. It was openly discussed by Liam, Johnny, Eamonn and Bill. Does anyone else remember these discussions and conspiracy theories?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Yes, and the ref in question was "outed" as being corrupt later (Anderlecht I think). A SIndo hack caught up with him years later. The "interview" was posted here somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    matt holland v cameroon wc 2002
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pYT3KCYOc

was about 24 hours into a 3 week wc trip at that stage. totally dejected at our first half performance and couldnt help thinking we had a long 3 weeks ahead of us with Ireland effectively going out at the first hurdle. we were dreadful in the first half. Hollands goal, our 2nd half performance and the great atmosphere from our fans turned my emotions around quickly! set the tone for the best Ireland trip i was ever on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    McGeady's goal against Macedonia came as quite a surprise, due to him never having scored for us before. I was beginning to think he might go through his entire international career goalless.

I too was surprised and delighted by Connolly's hat-trick against Lichtenstein. I remember at the start of that game, a lady leaning over to ask me "which one was Roy Keane".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

Obscure - how about Rush dancing through the West Ham defense and scoring a few weeks before we went to America!! Bet few know what I'm on about!

And the West Ham guy next to me muttering that he never does that for us .. drowned out the singing of F the Pope for 5 mins anyway.
    *Hand up* I do I do....me...me....

Was at that game myself. Rush played a half for Ireland and a half for West Ham if I remember correctly (I posted a number of years ago with a what ever happened to ......type question?).

I dont recall the goal to be honest, it was a Testimonial for Tony Gale at Upton Park - Remember singing "Gonna send you a Postcard, sendddd youuu a pooostcard" to the Hammers fans in the newly named Bobby Moore stand and also bought a T-Shirt outside with "Big Jack Cracked it, Taylor **** it" on it. All in reference to Englands failure to qualify for USA94 of course.

Great weekend that was, also got back stage with Oasis for a few tinnies, who played in Windsor the night before. They had just released their first single Supersonic and played in front of about 500 people - Who'd have thought where they'd end up eh?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I saw Oasis in front of a small crowd in the Tivoli in 94

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Right before you got into all that Gangster Rap, Stutts. Arent you actually in that one NWA video?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I remember being absolutely over the moon when John Aldridge finally scored his first goal, I think it was his 20th cap or so in a friendly against Tunisia. He was scoring goals for fun at the time for Liverpool and it took him forever for him to knock one in for us despite playing well in Charlton's system so when it finally came, it was a huge relief for everyone.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I was a huge Niall Quinn fan at the time, still am in a way, so took huge satisfaction in his two well taken goals against Wales on the snowy Wrexham pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Mark Kennedy V Yugoslavia because I, along with the rest of the country, was screaming for him to be substituted. and then he did that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTERrBF2gRs
    Always ranks up there as my all-time favourite Irish goal in one of my favourite ever Ireland matches.

I think that Whelan's goal v Italy at Croker beats anything for pure surprise. crackingly worked goal. I miss Liam.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Always ranks up there as my all-time favourite Irish goal in one of my favourite ever Ireland matches.

I think that Whelan's goal v Italy at Croker beats anything for pure surprise. crackingly worked goal. I miss Liam.
    Was Liam your dog?
    Anyway, may he (whoever he is) rip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Anybody got a link to that Connolly goal v Turkey? It kind of escapes my memory (although I think I may have made up a goal to compensate in my mind, I'll know for sure when I see it). Can't find it on YouTube.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast