Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sean McDermott

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    'What an odd name for the local publication in Hertsandes,' he thought fleetingly.
    It's Herts and Essex. I only know because I live there. Bog-standard local rag.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The second statement was a play on the previous post about expertsexchange, come on keep up BS

I know what you meant
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Where is this Hertsandes place anyway? I've been looking for it on Google Maps all morning...

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Been trying to look for some footage of McDermott in action. Very difficult to find real footage of Sandnes Ulf in recent action at all amongst all the FIFA video game clips: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ry=sandnes+ulf

There is this, however:

Is that him?

Edit: Actually, it might not be. That game appears to have been played in early October of 2012: http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/10/07/s..._ulf/23762658/

McDermott made his senior debut against Rosenborg on the 19th of the same month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The second statement was a play on the previous post about expertsexchange, come on keep up BS

I know what you meant
    Whoosh!

Missed that completely. To Ballycroy with me!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingpartner View Post
    It's Herts and Essex. I only know because I live there. Bog-standard local rag.
    Thanks or whoosh. Not sure which, but (genuinely!) welcome on board, SP.

DI, Hertsandes is about approximately, roughly speaking and as the crow flies 247.96356 nautical miles miles due east of the coast of Tarmonbarry. There's no direct bus, though. I thought everybody knew that!!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Haha, thank you, and I completely missed SP's post. Superb.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Sleeping Partner,
    Don't do it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McDermott has his sights set on an Ireland call-up and isn't afraid to talk up his abilities: https://www.thesun.ie/uncategorized/...ing-in-norway/

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Cowzer
    SEÁN McDERMOTT hopes there is some way from Norway to get back on Martin O’Neill’s radar.

The former Ireland Under-21 keeper has joined top-flight outfit Kristiansund ahead of the new season in April.

McDermott, 23, hopes playing regular top-level football again after a few frustrating years can earn him an Ireland chance.

Norwegian-born, his dad Terrence is from Donegal, McDermott has been involved in Ireland squads since Under-15 level under Vinny Butler.

A regular with the Under-21s when he was first choice with Sandnes Ulf, he never made O’Neill’s squad.

However, he had no complaints as he lost his place at club level in 2014.

McDermott explained: “Sandnes signed the Iceland goalkeeper from the Euros, Hannes Halldorsson. They also changed goalkeeper coach.

“So I went to Start. I was going there to be first choice. But they renewed the contract with their other guy.”

Midway through last season, he departed on loan for Second Division Ullensaker/Kisa IL.

He said: “I needed to get away and play games. So I went down a division, played the second half of the season and helped them stay up.

“It worked out exactly as I planned. I wanted to show myself and everyone else that I could get back up to this league.

“I have now signed for Kristiansund.”

During three seasons outside the Norwegian top flight, McDermott knew he had to park his Ireland ambitions.

But he has watched who has earned call-ups this season and believes he has to be in the reckoning once he is playing again.

He said: “When I see the squads, we have Darren Randolph and Keiren Westwood.

“But when they bring in the number three, four or five, I think I’m better than those keepers. I’m playing in the better league as well.”

O’Neill has already called in SEVEN keepers this season. Apart from Randolph and Westwood, David Forde, Gary Rogers, Ian Lawlor, Danny Rogers and Colin Doyle have also been involved.

But McDermott believes playing in Norway should put him above all of them.

He said: “When I see some of those keepers, I think, ‘Why don’t they pick me? I’ve been through the system. I’m at a good age. I’ve good experience. I know I’m better than them.

“Now that I’m in a good league, I just need to show it and get into the squad because I know I’m good enough.

“Of course I have to play well to get into the squad. But I know that will happen. I hope they pick me or give me a chance and keep an eye out for me.”

Having been at Arsenal at youth level and after also enjoying a loan spell at Leeds before returning to Norway, playing abroad again remains an ambition — something he believes an Ireland call-up could help him achieve.

He said: “I need to get my name out there again. Maybe get to England or somewhere else.

“When you play in Norway, a lot of German clubs and Dutch clubs watch Norwegian football.”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Wow, that's really not much of a threat - he'd have to move up a couple of levels to really merit consideration. I mean, it's nice that he had a good season but he plays for a team with a smaller stadium than half the LOI Premier Division and finished seventh in the Norwegian League. Currently we have a Premier League goalkeeper, two Championship goalies (three if Stephen Henderson gets back in the Forest team) and three League One keepers (two of whom are also in their early 20s). We also have at least four underage goalies on the books at Premier League teams and a couple more at Championship teams.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/03/2021 at 10:38 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    That headline is a bit misleading. He says he has always seen himself playing for Ireland but if the call came from Norway he would "have to consider it at least." You'd swear he was issuing an ultimatum or something.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Can he play in the forwards ?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    That headline is a bit misleading. He says he has always seen himself playing for Ireland but if the call came from Norway he would "have to consider it at least." You'd swear he was issuing an ultimatum or something.
    Wouldn't expect anything less from the Sun. Felt dirty after posting the link. Was arguing with myself between posting the entire story here, and linking to the story.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Owen Cowzer is a good journalist and it's a good journalist. It hardly reads like an ultimatum.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Is he really being "driven" to play for Norway? Neither options are on the table. He says he would "consider" it if Norway called him up first. The option to "play for Norway" does not yet exist.

The headline is completely misleading.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He seems a bit arrogant and disrespectful to me. Plus, himself & the journo don't seem to have completely forgotten about Rob Elliot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Sean McDermott: Nobody helped me after Arsenal, but I’ll be Ireland No.1

Sean McDermott could be forgiven for having his confidence knocked following a doomed six-week spell in Romania and missing out on Mick McCarthy’s first Republic of Ireland squad since his re-appointment, but it has only reinforced the goalkeeper’s self-belief.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Playing for Kristiansund against Man United in a friendly in Oslo. A very good first half from him. Couple of good saves.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Back in the starting lineup for Kristiansund against Brann

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Good to see him back fit

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast