Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newry City FC go belly up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts

Newry City FC go belly up

Irish League Football club Newry City FC was wound up at a High Court hearing in Belfast on Thursday.
    A petition brought by former manager Gerry Flynn against the company which runs the Championship side was granted in a hearing lasting only minutes.
    The Irish FA is understood to have been notified of the move.
    Earlier this year Mr Flynn was awarded £25,000 in damages after claiming wrongful dismissal and breach of contract against the club.
    When no money was paid out he instructed his lawyers to issue winding-up proceedings against Newry City FC Ltd.
    Sources close to Mr Flynn stressed that his petition was an attempt to resolve the issue rather than seeking the club's closure.
    No one representing Newry City was in court for Thursday's hearing
    It is expected that the winding-up order will lead to Newry City FC Ltd now being liquidated.
    Uncertainty now surrounds whether the club will be able to fulfil any fixtures without forming as a new entity.
    Last month, the club's opening scheduled Championship One match was postponed because of the winding-up petition.
    A week later, the club did start their campaign after offering assurances about their future to the Irish FA.
    However, a month on, the club's future appears to be in huge doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19668420?utm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    What a d**khead.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Why did no one from the club turn up to the court case? Seems very strange.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Why did no one from the club turn up to the court case? Seems very strange.
    A strange and complicated story.

The company wound up, was in effect a franchisee that was running the football team.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Down the years I often wondered how Newry could pay out wages that would attract some quite sought after players. I guess it caught up with them in the end but it certainly does seem like a messy one at the end.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Weren't Newry a one-man team financially? Some rich backer behind them, I thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What a d**khead.
    Was this a serious statement? If he was owed the money and none was forthcoming, what's so horrible about persuing legal avenues to get it, even if it leads to such outcomes?
    For once maybe someone will call me "sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    E540k of debt?!

And they could be free from all that now, at the expense of starting a couple of divisions lower. Doesn't sound like all that bad a deal...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Wouldn't have happened in an all-Ireland league.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Not great seeing this happen to a club, hope all the fans can pull together and try and get the club back on its feet.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    IRISH FA STATEMENT

Release Date: 28/09/2012

FOLLOWING a meeting of the Board of the Irish Football Association last night, Newry City FC Limited’s membership of the Association has been terminated after the Board received confirmation that its registered directors did not intend to appeal the winding-up order that was placed on the club in the High Court in Belfast on Thursday 20 September 2012.

As a result of the termination of Newry City FC Limited’s membership of the Association, all results from games involving teams under the direct control of Newry City FC this season to date will be expunged.

All registered players of Newry City FC have had their registration unilaterally terminated by the Association (effective from 31 May 2012) and all players are immediately available for registration as amateur players for any club that participates in a purely amateur league.

All players will be unable to register for a club who play in a professional league until 1 January 2013, with players also unable to play in the Irish Cup or the Intermediate Cup, which are subject to the professional game regulations, until 1 January 2013.

The Association will continue to work with all the various stakeholders, including MLAs, in the City of Newry and its surrounding areas to promote the game of football and will provide assistance and guidance in any way that it can to support any plans that may be put in place.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    What's the highest amateur league? Seems harsh on the players.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    A few NewryFC supporters go to Dundalk games and in our off- season i would often go to Newry games.I would arrive into the ground only to see about 100/150 fans there(They where in the Prem at the time).Nice ground,great facilities(apart from their clubhouse).
    Some millionaire lad called Paul McKenna was the owner up until recently(could still be),he must have been stung on property or some other business dealings or maybe he's just fooking about?playing football politics.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    A few NewryFC supporters go to Dundalk games and in our off- season i would often go to Newry games.I would arrive into the ground only to see about 100/150 fans there(They where in the Prem at the time).Nice ground,great facilities(apart from their clubhouse).
    Some millionaire lad called Paul McKenna was the owner up until recently(could still be),he must have been stung on property or some other business dealings or maybe he's just fooking about?playing football politics.
    Thank goodness ,he was'nt the owner, but he was a Director of the company "Newry City FC Ltd." that ran the day to day affairs of the club.

Newry City FC own the superb Showgrounds stadium not Newry City FC Ltd that was wound up. Sad times however for our fans but hopefully the club will re form and rebuild in the near future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Whats the story here now? Will Newry be in the first div of LOI now? Hows all that going?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    No "expressions of interest" in joining the LoI have been made public by anyone so far.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    No "expressions of interest" in joining the LoI have been made public by anyone so far.
    But thats not to say that none have been received yet either, am i right in saying that? Seems to be a logical move for Newry to be fair and if they can compete then fair play to them. They dont seem to be making any headway with the IFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    But thats not to say that none have been received yet either, am i right in saying that? Seems to be a logical move for Newry to be fair and if they can compete then fair play to them. They dont seem to be making any headway with the IFA.
    I can't see the IFA letting that happen. They've tried to stifle the life out of Newry as it is, I can't imagine them engaging to allow them join the LOI.

We have to remember the political and social reasoning as to how Derry ended up in the LOI in 1985 in the first place.

Would Derry be allowed to move to the LOI if it were today? I sincerely doubt it.

That saying, I would love it if Newry were to join the LOI. And any other team from the IL if they wished.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Galway United Nua

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I can't see the IFA letting that happen. They've tried to stifle the life out of Newry as it is, I can't imagine them engaging to allow them join the LOI.

We have to remember the political and social reasoning as to how Derry ended up in the LOI in 1985 in the first place.

Would Derry be allowed to move to the LOI if it were today? I sincerely doubt it.

That saying, I would love it if Newry were to join the LOI. And any other team from the IL if they wished.
    Would you buy a share? Would you play in the Irish league? Would you get on the Gust bus to Windsor Park. We need a team in Terrylands Deacy Park for 2013 for our community our county our city and our sanity. Galway United Nua . Www.galwaysoccer.com or come to Deacy Park this friday at 8pm for the United v longford game u19. join the debate with free tea under the stand at half time

Plenty still to play hope for even in the new League Of Ireland reserve division (formerly known as the graveyard or 1st division)

friday at 8pm for the United v longford game u19. join the debate with free tea under the stand at half time

http://www.metro.co....lly-boys-outing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast