Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premier division/Div1/LC final fixtures W/E 22/9/12

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Anyway... as a Drogs fan, thrilled with result. Could easily have got five or six goals. Great atmosphere in the Drogs stand.
    Hard to work out why Rovers have gone off the boil so much this season. Looked demoralized for much of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Anyway... as a Drogs fan, thrilled with result. Could easily have got five or six goals. Great atmosphere in the Drogs stand.
    Hard to work out why Rovers have gone off the boil so much this season. Looked demoralized for much of the game.
    Well deserved Drogs well done...some rot going round Rovers at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Totally agree with this comment. They should remember where they were 6 or 7 years ago.
    Too right, 3 great seasons out of 4 in Tallaght and sweet fa the 16 seasons previous to that. In the bigger picture there's lots to be optimistic about.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Rovers' fans are a complete disgrace. Booing their own player because of a mistake.
    It's well-known that a sub-section of our support are sub-human and Gilbert doesn't deserve to be booed but it's really difficult to think of a worse player who's represented Rovers in the past few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Away from all the side issues, Mick Cooke surely deserves manager of the year for all he has achieved this season and indeed last season when most people (myself included) thought he was mad going to Drogheda from Monaghan. At Sligo Baraclough has done well in keeping going the good work of Paul Cook, Buckley has done reasonably well at Pats but in terms of results in comparison to resources Cooke has done superbly.

League Cup tucked away, just caught on the line in the cup (and in the penalty lottery), still in with an outside shot at the league but well in the hunt for 2nd and should at least get a European spot.

I remember them coming to Terryland Park last season about 14 or so games into the season and having 2 points, they won that evening and haven't looked back since.

The only thing is their attendances haven't been great and you'd wonder can they keep hold of their best players when they can't match the finances of those around them. They deserve a packed house for the Pats game next Friday.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    To be honest, if we win the league and Baraclough is named worst manager of the year I won't be too bothered.
    If we do hold on and win it, though, a few things have to be kept in mind about how he's handled things.
    Quigley suspended for six matches at the start of the season
    Millien delayed for much of the first round over work permit.
    Ndo recovering from surgery for much of the same period
    North out for the season having scored nearly all our goals up to that point
    Boco invoking get-out clause (signed before Baraclough arrived)
    Keane, Davoren joining North on the long-term injured list for the last six to seven games
    All are players who make a serious contribution. He hasn't exactly been blessed with good fortune - not to mention that we lost points relative to both Pats and Shams over the Monaghan debacle.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    True but I think it should be judged on peoples expectations at the start of the season and how it ends up.

We expected to be challenging for the league title. Drogheda would have been happy to avoid relegation (at least I thought they would have been).

Based on that Cooke has done a much better job I would say (not knocking the job Barraclough has done whatsoever)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There is probably an argument for giving manager of the year to the league winners each season, but that would ignore the great work done by managers at smaller clubs, and I feel in this case Cooke's achievement is truly remarkable. I'd be saying the same is Stephen Kennyout had stormed to the title on the back of a spate of injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's well-known that a sub-section of our support are sub-human and Gilbert doesn't deserve to be booed but it's really difficult to think of a worse player who's represented Rovers in the past few years.
    Have always wondered why shams signed Gilbert as he never looked much of a player but successive managers (Directors of Football) have picked him so must rate him better than other players available for selection.

Was surprised at timing of Kenny's dismissal as it looked like a knee jerk reaction to (pretty meaningless) Bohs result. results since would appear to back up that position and despite his poor record this season there is probobly no manager in recent times better equipped to lead a team in a League Cup final

need for managerial appointment and a fresh start (team wise) in Tallaght. I expect some intereting calls about the playing personnel for next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Have always wondered why shams signed Gilbert as he never looked much of a player but successive managers (Directors of Football) have picked him so must rate him better than other players available for selection.
    Kenny replaced him several times with McCormack, who is a poor right back, several times and if he wasn't so conservative would have started picking Gannon when he was fit. Sullivan has been picked for every game for which he's been fit/eligible since returning from Australia despite looking unfit and out of practice.

Gilbert is decent going forward but he's a horrorshow in defence. His positioning is woeful and instead of using his pace to track back he frequently takes the lazy option and commits a foul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Kenny replaced him several times with McCormack, who is a poor right back, several times and if he wasn't so conservative would have started picking Gannon when he was fit. Sullivan has been picked for every game for which he's been fit/eligible since returning from Australia despite looking unfit and out of practice.

Gilbert is decent going forward but he's a horrorshow in defence. His positioning is woeful and instead of using his pace to track back he frequently takes the lazy option and commits a foul.
    Fully agree with your evaluation CD but Gilbert has been poor every time I saw him this season so its not like Kenny did not have time/oppurtunity (or resources) to address the problem, and he was picked last week by Laws (presuming he picks team). If fans want to abuse someone then the person picking the player more culpable than the player, especially as it is hardly a first bad game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's hardly the only misjudgment Kenny made, and he did bring in Sullivan to replace him when the window opened. Laws picked Gilbert on Saturday because Sullivan was serving one of his regular suspensions. I know Gannon was injured earlier in the year but a stronger manager would have drafted him in when fit and given him the time to bed in. I think he's a terrific player and might leave the club if he doesn't get games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    True but I think it should be judged on peoples expectations at the start of the season and how it ends up.
    True to a point, but surely the events of seven-and-a-half months and 30-odd games in between those two points should come into the equation at some stage?
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts

We expected to be challenging for the league title. Drogheda would have been happy to avoid relegation (at least I thought they would have been).
    ANybody at the open forum would have had very low expectations for ROvers. We were a shambles with a small squad and Baraclough came in only 2 days before the season started.

If we win the league and its still a big If, Id love him to get it but I wouldnt begrudge Cooke it either.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Pats 2 up on Shels.

Sorry, I meant Shamrocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Laws out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    whichever team killian brennan manges to wrangle a contract out of next season, fans of that team should immediatley sanction their board to remove him.
    he is a cancer* on a football team

* i mean no offence to anyone whose family have suffered this terrible disease, I have experience of it myself.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is Brennan not on a two-year deal? Dear God I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Sure pay him off.
    That European windfall is going to come in handy.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Just a footnote, The sports programme of Newstalk managed to mention a league cup tie between Leeds and Everton three times in forty five minutes this evening. Listeners relying on the show would have been unaware that St Pats were playing Shamrock, and granted the stations target are not LOI demographics, it is a poor reflection on an outfit that has news in its name. Though there is talk it is more an iteration of the sneering consensus than news.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast