Thread: FAI need to review fixture planning

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

nail on head

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Well over 90% of domestic games in Ireland are held on working weekdays. They're even played on international nights, if the game ko time isn't at the same time as the home club. Home fans are barely catered for, and away fans are treated with contempt by most clubs. If you don't want to attract customers, scheduling games at times they can't get there, is a good way of keeping them away.
    good points
    Last edited by geezer; 10/09/2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: fixed quotes

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    satur

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    This is killing us imo, i just think that trying to avoid a few quid on wages is like biting off our nose to spite our face. If we are going to play 30+ games a season (or whatever number, it doesn't matter) then we need to facilitate them taking place. And thats about that size of it, you either make the call or not; we are going to play X amount, take it on the chin and plan the season for those games to take place. Cutting it short to save on wages is small time, its short sighted, and its definitely regressive.
    It's replacing midweek fixtures, with midweek fixtures. Just a possible additional benefit of scrapping pointless cups that no one really takes seriously. The numbers would do the talking as regards reduced costs v reduced revenue I guess. Too much in this league is done on appearances rather than proper analysis. However, if I was going to scrap one thing, it'd be the mid season break, which would free up more weekends. As I said in the post, it goes against the whole logic of a summer season.

Personally, I think having every game at night is driving potential punters away, certainly those with younger children and limits travel options for away fans. But whenever 3pm Saturday is suggested, excuses such as clashing with junior games is the reason given (now that is small time imo).
    Last edited by Macy; 10/09/2012 at 12:03 PM.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    It's replacing midweek fixtures, with midweek fixtures.
    Midweek fixture are a curse on this league imo, i know thats ott but i'm never been to a midweek game yet that was packed to the rafters, its almost inevitable that attendances will be down for them. I say do away with them altogether where possible and i'd be inclined to say dont have them for any league game in the season, as in each league game has its own weekend. If cup replays need to be midweek then so be it.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Midweek fixture are a curse on this league imo, i know thats ott but i'm never been to a midweek game yet that was packed to the rafters, its almost inevitable that attendances will be down for them. I say do away with them altogether where possible and i'd be inclined to say dont have them for any league game in the season, as in each league game has its own weekend. If cup replays need to be midweek then so be it.
    Depends on the importance of the game I would suggest. Part of the problem no one can say for certain what a fixture would've got on another night. iirc our biggest attendance for a competitive game was a Thursday night (although the record books might not reflect that!).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    And if you didlike the league cup so much just play the youths and go out, simple.
    Maybe not so simple....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Midweek fixtures are poison, but the clubs wanted/needed a 40 week season and the PFAI wanted a mid season break

So if you want less league fixtures in midweek, either the clubs or the PFAI need to change.

The rest is just rhetorical waffling
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12