Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bray v Reading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Bray v Reading

Nice Friendly for the club this coming Sunday against Premiership opposition, bringing a full squad too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    must have been part of the pierce sweeney deal, reading have no match as chelsea are playing in the super cup and their game was cancelled last week, perfect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Ouch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Ouch!
    Pity the crowd was so small but GAA and Man U on the box probably put a big dent in it.
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Pity the crowd was so small but GAA and Man U on the box probably put a big dent in it.
    How many were there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I don't think GAA or Man U had anything to do with it, apart from the regulars and die-hards the people of Bray don't give a toss about the club. Despite the club claiming to be part of the community, the community don't appear to care.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Yes i'd say Bray are disappointed the goons didn't come out for it!
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Yes i'd say Bray are disappointed the goons didn't come out for it!
    Goon money is still money!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Absolutely agree! the problem is they never part with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    What was the attendence out of interest? Sad that you need these goons!

An idea to save money might be to stop paying players money! I could also point you to money wasted over the years by Bray when there was no need for it! Pot, kettle, black and all that!
    Last edited by KK77; 07/09/2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Absolutely agree! the problem is they never part with it.
    I supose in the current climate you can understand why people are careful with their money. I know a fella who gave up parting with his hard earned when he saw it was going into the pocket of a certain player. It was very hard to argue with him in all fairness.
    Last edited by KK77; 07/09/2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    What was the attendence out of interest? Sad that you need these goons!

An idea to save money might be to stop paying players money! I could also point you to money wasted over the years by Bray when there was no need for it! Pot, kettle, black and all that!
    I'm not sure of the attendance, but needing the goons is a fact of life for LOI clubs. It would be wonderful if they were coming every week, and were therefore no longer goons, but they're not, so we're stuck having to host pishy friendlies like this.

And you can argue about how deserving of their wage several of the Bray squad are, but players who will keep the club in the top flight don't come for free. For every get receipt lost because somebody objects to, at random, Dean Zambra, being on the payroll, we'd probably lose 5 if we were to drop into the graveyard division.

That's one of the reasons I'd be in favour of a single division for the next few seasons. The spectre of relegation to Division One is hardly condusive to sustainably growing a club.

Ideally, licensing would ensure that all clubs had to set aside an amount of their turnover for facilities and fanbase development, meaning no individual club would be disadvantaged and possibly relegated due to taking a break from short-sightedly ploughing money into wages. I think if the club had a sustained drive in the surrounding towns of advertising, events, merchandising and promotion, the people would come, as I've said before. And I think when Roo69 was doing his great work at the club, attendances were creeping up steadily.

The problem is that this club, or any other club, cannot afford financially to do the right thing for five years down the line, because it would damage us too much in the short term.

Incidentally, does anybody know if the club has investigated getting marketing or promotional people in either on a student work placement, or as part of a job bridge scheme? It could be one way of getting some fresh ideas and a bit of extra manpower into the development of the fanbase, without breaking the bank. Do we even have a CPO at the moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
    And I think when Roo69 was doing his great work at the club, attendances were creeping up steadily
    Roo69 was doing an excellent job at the club only to be replaced with individuals of, to put it kindly, lesser talent.

I think you would also find that the players now get paid very little compared to 5 years ago. The players get less in a month than what those players got paid in a week.

Three individuals put 600K into the club for the vast majority to be spent on wages and nothing on facilities and infrastructure. These individuals have been forced to hand back their 300,000 shares in the club now that the money has dried up. Those shares represent 37% of the club are now under the control of one individual.

This is what the club has spent their time at recently instead of advertising and promotion, spending money on legal fees that could have been put to much better use. In-fighting has always been the order of the day at board and shareholder level much to the detriment of the club.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    That's true, but even with spending all that money on wages, we've never broken out of mid table. If we hadn't been doing that, we could well have been actually relegated! Its symptomatic of a wider problem with the league. No single club can drop out of the arms race, because it would be committing football suicide, which would negate any financial benefit. Change needs to come from the top down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    100% in agreement that it is sad we need more fans to support us, not sad for us but sad for the thousands of locals who don't give a toss about their local club and would prefer to see an English club beat another English club but that's how we Irish are. And before you get on your high horse about me supporting United, i'll admit i do. So what... the difference is that i put my own first. It wasn't always like that but as i grew older i realised what was important to me and my local community, hence why i still do everything i can for the club on a voluntary basis.

Promotion of the club does work, but you need to spend money to promote, and this is something the club do not have or have had for the past few seasons. From personal experience, our gates went up about 17% when i was working as the club's CPO. I wouldn't says the 2 lads who came in after me had less talent, they probably just didn't have the same passion as i did for the club.

Things have been wrong with certain board members over the past few seasons but AFAIK this is being sorted and the club are now looking to move in the right direction, they need to make changes to bring the club forward so it's up to them now, no one else can do it but them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    More about you getting off your high horse than anyone getting on their's in fairness!
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    Things have been wrong with certain board members over the past few seasons but AFAIK this is being sorted and the club are now looking to move in the right direction, they need to make changes to bring the club forward so it's up to them now, no one else can do it but them.
    Despite what the opinion of the previous board there must have been some ability there and it was all done on a voluntary basis. An independent Chairman with many years business experience had been brought in to bring structure to the board. They are all gone now with no new blood having been brought on board. That is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

The club has now only 2 directors, there having been 7, and no fresh blood has joined the board. It seems pretty remiss to me that the owners of the club did not have the foresight to find replacements before asking for resignations. In fact why did the owners not join the board, why do they remain anonymous?

It would seem it is easier to be a “hurler on the ditch” that put their head above the parapet. What are they afraid of? Everybody knows who owns Manchester United but does anyone in Bray know who owns Bray Wanderers? The names of shareholders who are not directors are never published in the accounts. I pose the question “is that why they have not joined the board”.

I agree with Roo69 it is now up to the new board to bring the club forward but with just 2 individuals working on a voluntary basis I can’t see how. I hope I’m proved wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    More about you getting off your high horse than anyone getting on their's in fairness!
    Not at all, you are so wrong. I support my local club, i put money into my local club, i volunteer at my local club. They don't, simple as that. You can't argue with facts King Kenny.

I'll say it again, It's people like you who give their hard earned money to English football clubs that have Irish clubs in the state they are in. Millions upon millions every year leaves our shores to plump the coffers up of English football clubs, you say a friend of yours stopped going to Bray games because he didn't like the thought of a certain Bray player getting paid to play for Bray, That one statement tells you everything you need to know about the best supporters in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    Not at all, you are so wrong. I support my local club, i put money into my local club, i volunteer at my local club. They don't, simple as that. You can't argue with facts King Kenny.

I'll say it again, It's people like you who give their hard earned money to English football clubs that have Irish clubs in the state they are in. Millions upon millions every year leaves our shores to plump the coffers up of English football clubs, you say a friend of yours stopped going to Bray games because he didn't like the thought of a certain Bray player getting paid to play for Bray, That one statement tells you everything you need to know about the best supporters in the world.
    Mention that to Pat Devlin the next time you see him and let me know how he replies to you.
    Last edited by KK77; 13/09/2012 at 9:35 AM.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Mention that to Pat Devlin the next time you see him and let me know how he replies to you.
    Defo the dumbest thing you have said on here, putting Pat Devlin and Barstoolers like yourself in the same sentence is just laughable !

21. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast