Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Pathetic Olympics

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Another Pathetic Olympics

I don't know if there's anyone left to do a last-gasp save a la Jonh Tracey at LA in '84, but this year's performances, as I regrettably expected, have been as pathetic as ever.

Yes, we're a small nation and can't expect medals galore, but for Christ's sake look at the table! Look at the countries that have medals!

Truly an embarrassment.

Granted, the opposite extreme can be off-putting as well - I'm have to admit to being heartily sick of the Aussies' self-congratulatory partisan bull****, but so are lots of Aussies themselves. It comes down to taking it all too seriously.

The Irish problem is not taking it seriously enough.

While I usually hate comparisons, I can't help but look at New Zealand as an example of what we should hope to achieve - a serious chance of one or two gold medals at each games.

Not too much to ask is it?
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya, it wasn't a great games for Ireland.

I thought Sonia showed some heart by qualifying for the final (I know some people thought it was embarassing, but at least she gave it her all, in one last attempt!).

Couple of highlights for me included Kelly Holmes win in the 800 meters (great race), the men's 100 meters (4 people under 10 seconds), the womens Pole vault ( The two russians battling it out, and one of them breaking the world record, You could see they hated each other)
    Last edited by boc123; 27/08/2004 at 9:06 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

I don't think we had any hopes of medals going into the Olympics but obviously performances have been lower than expected. I notice Israel got its first ever Olympic gold this year so we not the owrst of countries.

Interesting to hear the Minister for Sport say government giving 110m to sport each year but neglecting to mention 50% of that goes to horse racing.

Pat Hickey is ever worse saying we should be concentration on minority sports like judo & archery as if we have anyone even close to top level in those sports. No surprise its OCI election time soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Have to say the lowlight was all the hype about Paula Radcliffe, who i reckon behaved like a spoilt child in the marathon, when she dropped out of the medals placings, she just quit and broke down and cried. Thought u were meant to stick things out till the end. She's kinda like portrayed as a Princess Di like person over here...
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7
    She's kinda like portrayed as a Princess Di like person over here...
    Well, she did hit the wall, and crash out of the race.
    Last edited by noby; 27/08/2004 at 10:50 AM. Reason: incorrect use of a capital letter on a subjective personal pronoun in the middle of a sentence
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Anyone notice all the empty stands? It was very poorly attended. And the Greeks booing before the 200 metres last night was a disgrace. It's not the other runners' fault that their hero f-ed up before the start of the games.
    BTW Babbington in the Show Jumping has a chance of a medal today.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    Well, she did hit the wall, and crash out of the race.
    Yeah,but it was everybody else's fault, not hers!
    I love to see Radcliffes head finally fall off tonight in the 10K!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I can't think what sailing and athletics add on a practical level...
    Probably encourages people to keep fit or something. Better than supporting a nation of gamblers

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7
    Have to say the lowlight was all the hype about Paula Radcliffe, who i reckon behaved like a spoilt child in the marathon, when she dropped out of the medals placings, she just quit and broke down and cried. Thought u were meant to stick things out till the end. She's kinda like portrayed as a Princess Di like person over here...

a-beledin-greed!
    What is going on with this bird? What about the 3 who won medals!
    People seem really upset for her. She a quitter.And a cry-baby!
    She needs a good spell in the Army! That will sort her cough out!
    Television! Teacher, mother, secret lover

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I don't think we had any hopes of medals going into the Olympics but obviously performances have been lower than expected. I notice Israel got its first ever Olympic gold this year so we not the owrst of countries.

Interesting to hear the Minister for Sport say government giving 110m to sport each year but neglecting to mention 50% of that goes to horse racing.Pat Hickey is ever worse saying we should be concentration on minority sports like judo & archery as if we have anyone even close to top level in those sports. No surprise its OCI election time soon
    well its definitely money well spent then cos the only golds won by an irish athlete have been by two horses,irish bred but with foreign pilots up in dressage!
    "tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dressage...

...getting a gold medal for teaching a horse how to walk funnier than anyone else can must be one of the most rewarding experiences ever... in the true spirit of the games that is!

As for Ireland, we're in a fairly unique position where our national sports is (by far) the biggest sporting attraction and while that stands for little internationally, it's bound to have a knock-on effect on minority sports.

P.S. Yes I know Australia is in a (not too) similar position but they are in 'fairly unique' position too!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The GAA excuase is a lame excuse. Most countries have some big non summer olympic sport to distract them. Look at all those countries with big winter sports...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why don't you sad losers get up off your computer desks, sober up and try to do better? Maybe "tossing off" and "talking ****e" could be incorporated into 2008 and all you ******* could win loads of medals.

Welcome to the Celtic tiger. No-one wants to get up at 5 in the morning and push weights or jog when they can get a pea-brained job in a computer factory and earn 30,000 a year for forwarding computer viruses all day. If the Olympic Council of Ireland gave me a grant of 20,000 to represent my country in the olympics I'd wipe my hole with it. 20,000? I'd earn more in Burger King. Our athletes are treated like dirt for three years and 51 weeks every four years. If Mark Carroll walked down the street would you recognise him? And now you lot think you can slag them off? Shame.

And leave the horsey people alone. That Sasha wan is a bang and a half. Christ on bikes I'd do her some damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramondo
    I don't know if there's anyone left to do a last-gasp save a la Jonh Tracey at LA in '84
    Might be. We've got horse jumpers in joint-1st and 4th after the first run.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Of course it should be pointed out that horse racing is (i) far far more successful than any other sport around Irealnd in terms of world standing, particularly at (ii) putting money back into the economy and (iii) employing people. The Galway races alone is worth multiples of what the Government put in. I can't think what sailing and athletics add on a practical level...
    Well Conor, lets not give any money at all to sailing, athletics, boxing, mountain biking etc. etc. FF should just hand all the money over to horse racing, sure their builder buddies would be very happy anyway......

Come on!

The benefit of sport is for children, the health of the nation, enjoyment etc. etc.
    Does EVERYTHING have to be expressed in terms of the Economic bottom line so that FFers/P***Ds can understand it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ireland just won Gold in equestrian.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcarr
    Ireland just won Gold in equestrian.

Well done to O'Connor and the horsie!
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Good Kildare man that. Wonder where the horse is from?
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Well done O' Connor and Blah Glass.

Just after having murder in work when i was told to turn down the national anthem. Wasnt havnig it. Oh no. Blood is still boiling. mother of god, is this what we've become
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    did anyone see the guy from Canada dressed as a woman jumping into the pool... he should have gotta gold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast