Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Pathetic Olympics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Well hey, I suppose I'm just stupid then.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    There was a letter to the Times last week which bemoaned the lack of sports facilities and variety in this country. Went on to lament the fact that many place more importance on a provincial final than success in international sport.

Everyone to their own opinion but I always have got greatest sporting satisfaction from international successes of our sports teams and persons. I think a policy of focus on certain sports is a good path to take from the perspective of medal successes. However it is a pity the country doesnt have a wider sports base, may help more of our youth stay away from anti social behaviour and alcohol.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ... now, 9 years later from the last post on this thread, and 17 years since I started it, let me give some context, as I did appear somewhat, ahem, opinionated at the time. (Or maybe just drunk.)

It was 2004, another year we got zero medals, after the late gold was dangled and then taken away, so I feel there was some justification for my disgust at the time. Plus I'd grown up in Ireland in the 70s and 80s, so I'd experienced:

1972 Munich 0 0 0
    1976 Montreal 0 0 0
    1980 Moscow 0 1 1 (and that sailing silver was definitely a boycott bonus)
    1984 Los Angeles 0 1 0
    1988 Seoul 0 0 0

But it appears things have improved in the meantime.

For 2021 well done to the rowers for the gold and bronze, and at the time of writing, at least a bronze in boxing.

Thanks to Covid for sparing us Ole, Ole, Ole on that gold win for O'Donovan and McCarthy. That reminds me, I had a look at the whole of Katie Taylor's gold-winning bout in 2012 for the first time last night. This was with sound but without commentary, you can find it on YouTube. And you know, she's obviously a great fighter, but I'm not convinced she won that one - the Russian wasn't entirely deluded by having her arms up before the result was announced. But the result's the result and they all count, ask De Bruin or Roche (ouch! sorry).

Also had a look at a lot of John Treacy's marathon in 1984 that's also on YouTube. It was really a great performance in a class field, especially as it was his first marathon. Impressive performance also by Jimmy Magee in the highlights video, where he remembers and names every Irish person to win an Olympic medal up to that point as Treacy runs the last 100 metres. Not so impressive that it only took him (Magee) 11 seconds.

Anyway, well done Irish Olympians, more please.
    Last edited by ramondo; 30/07/2021 at 1:43 PM. Reason: typo
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

4. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Should this thread not be in Other Sports? Anyway, there was an Ole Ole Ole ! The Irish team sang it when they went back to the Olympic Village
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Should this thread not be in Other Sports?
    Well, maybe my gripe was more with mental attitudes and lack of investment in Olympic sports? Hardly worth changing it now...

Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Anyway, there was an Ole Ole Ole ! The Irish team sang it when they went back to the Olympic Village
    FFS.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123