Thread: Another Pathetic Olympics

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    Wonder where the horse is from?
    Germany. Seriously! Apparently there were some Irish horses who won medals in the team events though, which seems strange...

Great stuff though. Kurten was close (in a way...) to making it a double. We've not entered the showjumping too often for some reason, and it's a big sport in Ireland, so this bodes well for the future at least!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    obviously the government isnt spending enough on sports and sports infastructure. If we seriously want to compete as a nation internationally were going to have to take a leaf out of the aussie's book in terms of getting every percentage out of our athlethes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    From RTE's website:

O'Connor's triumph, Irelands first Olympic gold since Michael Carruth won one in boxing in 1992, came after his team-mate Jessica Kuerten, who had jumped a clear first round to hold the joint lead with Britain's Nick Skelton, produced a disastrous final round.
    So I guess Michelle Smith's golds in 1996 are no longer counted by RTE?
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    From RTE's website:
    So I guess Michelle Smith's golds in 1996 are no longer counted by RTE?
    I don't see why not to be honest. She was drugs tested at the time and passed it, so the Golds should stand.
    The U.S. still count Carl Lewis' ffs
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Her medals were never taken off her,were they?

I reckon Michelle was guilty as sin though and the rte heads probably feel the same so they choose to 'forget' about her.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Who said that?

Did someone make that point?

I'm going back through the thread and I don't see that anywhere.

Or are you simply making up a point that wasn't made at all?

As for economics, respond to Pete - after all I think it was Pete who brought it up, something about €110m, half going on the racing industry etc. etc. I was merely responding to him...
    Another classic example of FF speak.
    Use plenty of words, but say nothing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Of course it should be pointed out that horse racing is (i) far far more successful than any other sport around Irealnd in terms of world standing, particularly at (ii) putting money back into the economy and (iii) employing people. The Galway races alone is worth multiples of what the Government put in. I can't think what sailing and athletics add on a practical level...
    Conor, I find it rich that you accuse anyone of avoiding answering questions, as you are the absolute master of evasion.
    In the post above you quite clearly make a point linking economics with horse racing and then go on to say that you cannot see any "practical" return from sailing and athletics. This is a fairly clear statement on the connection between economics and sport, and how some sports, in your opinion, add nothing to the economy. Thus you are implying/alluding to/suggesting/insinuating or whatever word you like, that a sport that gives us a monetary return is more deserving of 50% of all taxpayers money that goes to sport, rather than others which do nothing "practical" for the economy.
    Whatever way you want to dress it up, that is reducing everything down to the bottom line only.
    By the way, how "practical" is the centre up in Punchestown?
    Will it be giving a return on all that taxpayers money that it recieved in highly dodgy circumstances outside all accepted and required procedures?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Pete, neither you nor I could have guessed it before Cian O'Connor's performance, but your point about pumping money into the horse scene (and my response about it being the only sport where we have some prestige) was terribly timed...
    If FF want to put money into the horse industry then maybe they should include with IDA grants for INDUSTRY or something as unfair to suggest its sport.

Showjumping doesn't need any "investment". Cian O'Connor had his new €110K Audi A8 car with 3k in cash stolen (since found/returned) the week before the Olympics. FFs for the goal medal 'n all & also good to se ehe signing the National Anthem so no West Brit accusations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but I think sailing has probably earned its keep in Galway over the last few years with the Volvo.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I wonder how justified dissapointment is with failures in certain sports? I have no idea if athletes/Ireland could have done more/should be doing more in sports like Swimming, Badminton etc. Seems like so much attention gets thrown at boxing, and now, sailing.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    We don't have the population, interest, tradition and probably not the infrastructure to be successful at more than a handful of sports. For us to focus on track/field and a couple of specialty sports is probably smart and represents our best chance at some medals.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I have no idea if athletes/Ireland could have done more/should be doing more in sports like Badminton etc..
    According to my great friend, Laughing Bill O'Herlihy, badmington is apparently a "Protestant sport".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...321156033.html
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    According to my great friend, Laughing Bill O'Herlihy, badmington is apparently a "Protestant sport".

Must be a lot of them in China so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Must be a lot of them in China so...
    Great bunch of lads...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I wonder how justified dissapointment is with failures in certain sports? I have no idea if athletes/Ireland could have done more/should be doing more in sports like Swimming, Badminton etc. Seems like so much attention gets thrown at boxing, and now, sailing.
    Well, there's more to sport than Olympic medals. Doing well at the Games is brilliant, but sports for me are about the general health and wellbeing of the population.

But on a topic more relevant to your post, I've just watched the 10,000 metres, and watched Fionnuala Britton get blown away by the Africans. I'm still proud though. The girl finished 15th in the world. It's a one-in-a-million girl like Sonia who'll ever beat those guys, but Fionnuala did better than anyone from France, anyone from Germany, Australia, Brazil, China, India. I don't think that that's a failure just because it's not a medal.

If we want to win gold medals, we should sink our resources into a very small amount of sports. Sailing is an ideal choice. I used to compete against Annalise Murphy back when we were kids. She's had a very supportive family who have given up a lot to make sure she can put in the hours, go to the international events, have the coaches, to get her to where she is now. If we did that with the Sports Council's purse for athletes in a small number of skill-based sports, your archery, sailing, shooting, kayaking. Forget about athletics, forget about badminton, you'd pick up 6 or 7 medals per Games, probably.

I'd prefer to see the money spent on developing community sports facilities for the good of the entire country. And your one-in-a-million talent like Sonia, or your family-supported Annalise, or the occasional combination, like Katie Taylor, will come along every now and again and make us all proud.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I know it will probably seem churlish, but I'm glad the irish athletes go and give it a wallop, and do their best. It does inspire kids to do something with their own lives. What kills much of the element of investment in sport, I believe, comes down to the complete and utter hypocrisy surrounding performance enhancing drugs. Not for a second do I believe or buy that the Jamaicans are all clean, nor do I believe that the Chinese are doing it naturally (history has shown this just simply isn't the case) and for that matter I do not believe the Yanks are clean. I remember the US media turning on Michelle DeBruin, I remember the exact point and I remember the Canuck media joining in - why? Because Janet Evans missed out on her "fairytale" comeback and a golden girl from Canada (who adorned cereal boxes) missed out on the final. No matter how fast Michelle DeBruin did, she still was way off the times posted by.....Janet Evans. So certain sports - weightlifting and athletics (speed and power events) will be cautiously avoided by the government and sponsors.

Boxing is suffering because of long term class association (despite the best efforts of the IABA) as well as the horrific officiating that is the norm in international amateur boxing (get rid of computers and cheating will be quickly found out). For most sports we have to export our best athletes to train elsewhere, and why not, it will cost less long term with possibly better results. It's as cheap to house and train rowers in Zagreb as to construct a rowing lake in Ireland. Same with canoeing and kayaking, but the money needs to be put in to send them abroad. The problem is - we don't have the money.

I believe our boxers are doing well, our sailors and paddlers the same, our athletes will do their best and our horsepeople will always be world class. I don't want us to turn a generation of kids from recreational drug users into performance enhancing drug users just for a few bits of metal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

Thats ridiculous - he said nothing of the sort - the journalist who asked that question is obviously a clown, looking for something to print. What is it with the Irish media and this sort of rubbish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Thats ridiculous - he said nothing of the sort - the journalist who asked that question is obviously a clown, looking for something to print. What is it with the Irish media and this sort of rubbish?
    He insinuated more than said it. Something along the lines of "It's always been seen as a protestant sport". Not a direct quote, but it was something along those lines. I got slightly taken aback myself from it, but then I just realised he's old and pretty much useless at this stage.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    He said something to the effect that "back in my day Badminton was seen as a protestant sport". His day might have been the 40s/50s. Is he wrong?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He insinuated more than said it. Something along the lines of "It's always been seen as a protestant sport". Not a direct quote, but it was something along those lines. I got slightly taken aback myself from it, .
    FFS!

No, no he didn't.

What he said was (and I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly)

"When I was growing up - back in the late 1940's and 1950's, the perception was out there was that badminton was a protestant sport"

That’s a hell of a long way from saying that badminton has always been a protestant sport or that badminton is a protestant sport.

Bill was at the time engaged in a conversation with a former badminton player about the popularity of the game and how it has grown as a sport since the 40's and 50's when its perception may not have been popular (as he thought rightly or wrongly that the sport had protestant and thus elitist connotations) and how lots of sports halls up and down the country now have courts and equipment.

Those sort of articles really sicken my h**e. It’s like a journo was watching on TV and dropped his chips with the excitement that the word protestant was mentioned.

but then I just realised he's old and pretty much useless at this stage.
    Thats just a stupid comment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast