Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Countdown to Katie's downfall

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts

Countdown to Katie's downfall

I know this is a horrible thing to discuss. She's a lovely young lassie, a very good athlete, world class women's amateur boxer, but this weekend there was a thread running through all of her interviews and the commentary on her. She's intelligent, clever, honest and genuine, and ripe for being destroyed.

Her greatest strength is her greatest weakness - her faith.

My teeth have been standing on end this morning listening to 2 interviews (98fm and Newstalk) when she went on ad nauseum about being a christian. Ireland has little tolerance (medium term) for such non-stop professing and I'm now certain she's less than 12 months from being destroyed. I thought it horrible that such a lowlife liek Oscar DelaHoya is moving in for the kill, though getting out of Ireland can be the only thing to save her.

Maybe I'm alone in this.

But even in how her father has been brought into the equation as the powerbroker is deliberately putting a sinister impact on things. Of course the tabloids like the Indo are to the forefront.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...s-3197397.html
    Last edited by Spudulika; 13/08/2012 at 7:54 AM. Reason: link

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    This is rubbish, most people agree with the athletes - this is just the papers raking up muck as usual

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Of course Bennocelt, I read the article twice, nowhere is it mentioned fury or anger in relation to Peter. It's going to be really nasty I fear.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    They've changed the headline from Fury of Katie Taylor's dad at Irish homecoming shambles - Irish ...

To Olympic chief denies rift with Katie’s dad over homecoming

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Typical ***** from the Indo over the past few days, trying to rake up a bit of a storm. I'd blame silly season, but it's always silly season at a paper that seems intent on becoming the next Daily Mail.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I would always consider myself an Indo reader, I like some of the writers and ignore the usual Lord Reilly led nonsense. But this is muckraking and they're out now to destroy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I know this is a horrible thing to discuss.
    Why did you start a thread then ? Can we not just leave the muckrackers at it.

I disagree about the Indo becoming the next Daily mail - think they are trying to get into the "Sun" market if you ask me between this and that naughty sailor who was gambling on a race he had no part of whatsoever.

I suppose paper never refuses ink.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I actually find Katie Taylor really, really, annoying because of the whole God bothering thing.

Keep it to yourself please.

And don't get me started on the GREATEST IRISH ATHLETE OF ALL TIME nonsense aound her.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Why did you start a thread then ? Can we not just leave the muckrackers at it.

I disagree about the Indo becoming the next Daily mail - think they are trying to get into the "Sun" market if you ask me between this and that naughty sailor who was gambling on a race he had no part of whatsoever.

I suppose paper never refuses ink.
    Agree on the Sun issue, it's the lowest common denominator and something that will always sell.

I started the thread because there are certain folks on here who might have a conscience or two tweaked to ease off. The level of crap aimed at the athletes and "read between the lines" damage that has been put out by the Irish meeja over the weekend (and before) is dreadful. From the Nevin family background, to Peter Taylor/Mayor of Dublin/Government all making a "shambles" of a homecoming, it's the reason why the country took a hit and the crim's got away with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I find her kinda hot....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I actually find Katie Taylor really, really, annoying because of the whole God bothering thing.

Keep it to yourself please.

And don't get me started on the GREATEST IRISH ATHLETE OF ALL TIME nonsense aound her.
    Me too. If anything she should be thanking natural selection and her father for passing on those genes.

I find it far more patronising that she's been held up as THE GREATEST IRISH WOMAN EVER because she happens to be good at a male-dominated sport.

The God thing is overblown. I don't think most people actually give a toss. Proof that it's a non-issue is the fact John Waters has seen fit to write about it: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...99.html?via=mr

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    CD there's a case to be made for athletes who thank god for success that they're actively looking for an out (if it goes wrong it was his/her will). I'm not so sure to be rigid on this, though it does have merit. She does thank her Dad and coaches and her family etc, but it gets drowned out in the noise of ott praise (which has already been drained) and god. She'll get some media training and be better.

Far more worrying are the absolutely and non-realistic figures being used for and against her. One hack calculated (disingenuously) how much it cost for her to win her medal. While another(s) claimed she'll have a 6million payout. The fact that she'll be receiving shares of purses of less than $1,000 a fight in the US for the first few and that her income depends on ticket sales, tv and sponsors, sticking with amateur looks better. Plus there are no managers/promoters in the UK or Ireland who have a clue about women's boxing and in the US 2 would have a good rep, then again, I think she and her family are clever enough to know this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

I find it far more patronising that she's been held up as THE GREATEST IRISH WOMAN EVER because she happens to be good at a male-dominated sport.
    if only Mary Harney had got her chance in the sumo ring...

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nude-mags.html

This flopped from the Irish to British version of the Mail. After reading it I'm kind of wondering does SkStu have a hotline to a former health minister re. overweight women?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    CD there's a case to be made for athletes who thank god for success that they're actively looking for an out (if it goes wrong it was his/her will). I'm not so sure to be rigid on this, though it does have merit. She does thank her Dad and coaches and her family etc, but it gets drowned out in the noise of ott praise (which has already been drained) and god. She'll get some media training and be better.
    From the few interviews I've seen, Taylor comes across as a genuine girl - maybe overly or even somewhat naïvely so - with a very personal and meaningful belief in God, and that's fair enough. We're all entitled to our beliefs and if people want to keep sticking microphones in our faces, isn't that an invitation to express our perspectives? Perhaps I've perceived her all wrong, but I don't think she'd be as contrived as the above.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    From the few interviews I've seen, Taylor comes across as a genuine girl - maybe overly or even somewhat naïvely so - with a very personal and meaningful belief in God, and that's fair enough. We're all entitled to our beliefs and if people want to keep sticking microphones in our faces, isn't that an invitation to express our perspectives? Perhaps I've perceived her all wrong, but I don't think she'd be as contrived as the above.
    That's my impression too. The god stuff is a bit jarring but it's unreasonable to expect someone to be able to temper their thoughts straight after something as intense as an Olympic boxing match. Where footballers spout "at the end of the day" type cliches, she talks about god.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Listening to Taylor for years and I never even hear her references to God any more, much less let them jar me.
    She had a decent interview with OTB last night and she is still coming across as shocked by the hullabaloo. It's really refreshing to have some "nice" people in sport on our airwaves (And that goes for all our boxers at the Olympics).
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It's on the way. I can only imagine what the tabloids are doing with this, though since the Star, Irish Mail and Sun aren't online (and I have refused to read the Indo since the lies they told to try destroy Trap), I'm left with the Examiner and Times. And the one paper that pretends to stand above the crowd is doing it's bit (and this time it's not even Emmett Malone involved). It didn't take long and they set this up 2 days ago so that they could run with it. Sickening, really sickening. Looking at the language used, at the manner of the article, there is a push on to drive a wedge between Katie, her Father and the IABA, and it could be very simple - sell papers OR someone winding up so she can break her contract with the IABA and co and go professional. Either way, bigger knocks are on the way!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329559150.html