Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darren Potter

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Bloody Nora; feels like a century ago since Potter arrived on the scene during those crazy Staunton days. Hard to credit that's more than 4 years ago now, it seems like yesterday

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    Bloody Nora; feels like a century ago since Potter arrived on the scene during those crazy Staunton days. Hard to credit that's more than 4 years ago now, it seems like yesterday
    thats the most confusing sentence ive read in in the last few days/this century

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    One day, four years and 100 years all feel like exactly the same amount of time. What's so hard to understand about that?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    One day, four years and 100 years all feel like exactly the same amount of time. What's so hard to understand about that?
    i suppose that sums up stauntons reign fairly accurately

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just scored to put MK Dons 4-0 (!!) up away to QPR in the FA Cup.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Has retired.

I hadn't realised he was still playing to be honest.

There's one of your more underwhelming careers (even if it has to be noted he did make a career of it). Statistically, some of our current crop of promising youngsters are going to go down the exact same path unfortunately.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Has retired.

There's one of your more underwhelming careers (even if it has to be noted he did make a career of it). Statistically, some of our current crop of promising youngsters are going to go down the exact same path unfortunately.
    Sobering thought. According to that article this guy had 17 appearances at Liverpool by the time he was 22. Arguably with those stats he looked a more promising prospect than any of the current crop yet never achieved anything of note.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Sobering thought. According to that article this guy had 17 appearances at Liverpool by the time he was 22. Arguably with those stats he looked a more promising prospect than any of the current crop yet never achieved anything of note.
    Getting carries away with the latest Great Hope is all we have at the moment but history has warned us many many times !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Really think he was a player who was overlooked during Trap’s reign. Was unfortunate to drop down to league 1 and was generally regarded as the best midfielder playing in the league

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Proper midfielder too. Head up, got involved, good passing, could shoot. Classic case of where he was playing rather than an objective assessment of his ability.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Proper midfielder too. Head up, got involved, good passing, could shoot. Classic case of where he was playing rather than an objective assessment of his ability.
    And for some unknown reason Clubs higher up the leagues would not buy this player ! ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Has retired.

Exactly, so dont be saying about giving time for the young lads to come through. 1-2 players max usually come from one underage group. So far we have connolly, molumby as somewhat regular now. Theres parrott and knight too, perhaps O'shea,but a lot of things can happen. IF we got all 5 of those and their contributing, not in the way of Conor Hourihane, then we are doing exceptionally well, but we can't hold out on that hope, and kick the can down the road.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Exactly, so dont be saying about giving time for the young lads to come through. 1-2 players max usually come from one underage group. So far we have connolly, molumby as somewhat regular now. Theres parrott and knight too, perhaps O'shea,but a lot of things can happen. IF we got all 5 of those and their contributing, not in the way of Conor Hourihane, then we are doing exceptionally well, but we can't hold out on that hope, and kick the can down the road.
    We hope for the best from Parrot and for the lad himself but what has he done in senior football yet ?

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I do think this is a particularly talented group we have though. The last 21s group was dire and we still managed to get Cullen and Manning out of it. I don't think it's unreasonable we'll get a lot more internationals from this one.

There's a void of players born between 1993-1998 in our squad and is a good reason as to why we're struggling so much now.

Potter had a decent career. Obviously didn't fulfil the promise we believed he had but was a solid lower league player, who never played below League 1. Given we have multiple League 1 and LOI players in the squad now, if he were in his prime now he'd likely be about the squad anyway.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    And for some unknown reason Clubs higher up the leagues would not buy this player ! ! !
    Not the point. Our midfield was largely dysfunctional around this time and having a midfielder who does the nuts and bolts well can benefit the team. I'm not saying that if you field a team of League 1 players you'll be competitive but I think if you field one or two League 1 players whose attributes complement the others then you may gain something. Again, good second tier European international teams often contain players not playing what you'd consider an elite level of football, often quite far away from it even.

20. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Potter had a decent career. Obviously didn't fulfil the promise we believed he had but was a solid lower league player, who never played below League 1. Given we have multiple League 1 and LOI players in the squad now, if he were in his prime now he'd likely be about the squad anyway.
    He probably would, but then we don't want our squad to be as bad as it is now. We need the young players coming through to reach a higher level than Potter, and his example shows that you can't really count your chickens before they hatch. Not all of them will make it to the required level for us to be competitive again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Not the point. Our midfield was largely dysfunctional around this time and having a midfielder who does the nuts and bolts well can benefit the team. I'm not saying that if you field a team of League 1 players you'll be competitive but I think if you field one or two League 1 players whose attributes complement the others then you may gain something. Again, good second tier European international teams often contain players not playing what you'd consider an elite level of football, often quite far away from it even.
    We had Whelan, Green, and Andrews at the time. The very definition of "nuts and bolts". What we needed was a creative spark in centre midfielder. Steven Reid was a massive loss to us.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    We had Whelan, Green, and Andrews at the time. The very definition of "nuts and bolts". What we needed was a creative spark in centre midfielder. Steven Reid was a massive loss to us.
    He was.

Potter was different type of player than Andrews, more composed, more fluid. Potter could keep the ball moving, a very important part of a functioning midfield. I thought he did well when he played for us. Whelan was often criticised for moving it too slowly. I think Cullen today has similar attributes to Potter and I think a player like him is quite valuable to a team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And Stephen Ireland. The very definition of a nut who bolted.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

26. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    He was.

Potter was different type of player than Andrews, more composed, more fluid. Potter could keep the ball moving, a very important part of a functioning midfield. I thought he did well when he played for us. Whelan was often criticised for moving it too slowly. I think Cullen today has similar attributes to Potter and I think a player like him is quite valuable to a team.
    Hendrick reminds me a lot of Andrews. Doesn't pick up many injuries, gets the very odd goal and runs about a lot. An effective player but not a creator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast