Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friendly 11th Sept ROI vs. Oman (Craven Cottage, London)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The TV company that organises the friendlies likes to base them in London. For some reason there is more money in these friendlies than there is a bigger one at home.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Fixture Confirmed by FAI (on twitter) Tues 11th, 7:30pm at Craven Cottage

http://www.fai.ie/home/news-centre.html
    Last edited by Junior; 08/08/2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Link added
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Have to agree with those wondering why we play games in London. Why play in a foreign country? Why not play it in Tallaght or Thomond? How can there be more money to be made in Craven Cottage? Surely the venue is irrelevant for TV coverage and it's not like Ireland v Oman is exactly going to set neutral fans' pulses racing in London.

I know there are a lot of Irish in London, but so what – there are a lot of Irish in plenty of other places too! Any why not give fans in Munster or in Tallaght the chance to see the team locally? Why make people fly to London and stay over, all so that some promoter company can "fumble in the greasy till" and make a few quid while fans fork out hundreds.

I think this sort of thing is an embarrassment!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p2011 View Post
    Have to agree with those wondering why we play games in London. Why play in a foreign country? Why not play it in Tallaght or Thomond? How can there be more money to be made in Craven Cottage? Surely the venue is irrelevant for TV coverage and it's not like Ireland v Oman is exactly going to set neutral fans' pulses racing in London.

I know there are a lot of Irish in London, but so what – there are a lot of Irish in plenty of other places too! Any why not give fans in Munster or in Tallaght the chance to see the team locally? Why make people fly to London and stay over, all so that some promoter company can "fumble in the greasy till" and make a few quid while fans fork out hundreds.

You're wrong if you listen to Russell Barwick the Aussie ESPN so called sporting commentator who riduculed us for refusing to compete with Britain in the Olympics! There are so some prize d**kheads over here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    international friendlies are played in neutral venues all the time. no big deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts

Munster are at home that weekend VS Treviso, so the stadium wouldn't be ready
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Plus the last friendlies played at Thomand weren't exactly a roaring success. If this generates a few quid for the FAI and gives us a chance to try out fringe players I have no problem with it.
    Last edited by Mr A; 09/08/2012 at 1:34 PM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Is Notre Dame playing at Aviva? They are going to have some speed and depth finally to chew up the field.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

10. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    international friendlies are played in neutral venues all the time. no big deal
    Friendlies are played at neutral venues "all the time" nowadays, I will give you that, but to my mind this is a fairly recent development (last 5 years) and doesn't make it any better.

It drives Brazilians and Argentinians mad that their teams now almost never play home friendlies and that their friendlies are now corporate events in soulless locations like Geneva and the Emirates. I know that it's a long flight back from Europe to Arg/Bra, but the players are still representing real actual countries in South America and not just the corporate Nike swish or Adidas stripes. I don't see why we should be in the same boat, especially given that we're nowhere near as attractive or marketable as Arg and Bra.

I think it's a sad embarrassment and a sell-out. Play the games in Ireland or else away, i.e. in the away country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Plus the last friendlies played at Thomand weren't exactly a roaring success. If this generates a few quid for the FAI and gives us a chance to try out fringe players I have no problem with it.
    I'd be interested in comparing the ticket prices that were charged by the FAI for the two TP games and those charged (by the promoting company? Flat fee for FAI?)
    for the London game(s) if anyone has that info handy. Certainly cost of admission for the TP games was a factor.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    I don't see why we should be in the same boat, especially given that we're nowhere near as attractive or marketable as Arg and Bra.

I think it's a sad embarrassment and a sell-out. Play the games in Ireland or else away, i.e. in the away country.
    i believe it is because they are being organised by thrid parties and not association to association e.g. third party is approached by Oman FA to arrange a friendly on a certain date, they secure a location for that date and put a call out to any interested associations. Association is picked and friendly is announced. Im presuming the company receives a fixed fee from the requesting Association and pays to the cheapest bidder...

If it was association to association then it would be played in either associations choice of venue, typically somewhere in their jurisdiction.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I also realise these games are organised by third-parties... which doesn't make things any better.

Any what is to be gained by playing Oman? Is there no decent European/South American opposition available?

The idea of these games in London and Geneva stinks and symbolizes everything that is wrong with football in 2012.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12