Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Political and Business Hall of Shame

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I honestly can't understand it like you.

It's easier to just own up and pay the cash. Mindboggling.
    I'm not making allowances Bonnie, I think she's a terrible politician, as a person I don't know her and 2nd hand reports are just that. But she comes across as an idiot. She has lied in public and probably nothing will happen.

The big fuss about Lowry covered a lot of her messing, and the new whistleblower claims (wow, Gardai still giving freebies to people with connections), but how can Lowry and Mulherin be elected?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    As snow falls (ffs I cannot deal with this white stuff anymore) I'm finishing watching the Claire Byrne fun hour on the RTE player. What the hell is wrong with that excuse for a politician Joan Burton? I had my doubts about her when she was in opposition, and more and more she's embarassing herself and her party. Her sneering, insulting manner is killing the Labour party. I'm just wondering about what is going to pop out of the closet about her.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Brian O'Donnell, bankrupt solicitor with a glue-like attachment to his €7,000,000 house on Vico Rd and such an overweening sense of entitlement that he knows the law doesn't apply to him. Utterly delusional.

But not as delusional as his pal, Jerry Beades, developer, one-time FFer and now key figure in the New Land League, who described the mansion as simplistic and bog standard. Yup. Because every house in Ireland built by developers like him has a swimming pool and tennis court as standard.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0305/684617-odonnell/
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-31039115.html
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    EG, I have been trying to figure this one out as it makes very little sense. Why is he not treated like other people who have been served eviction notices and turfed out? Or like water meter protestors and manhandled out of the way. In no way do I condone any mistreatment of a citizen of any country, and in many ways I abhor the thought of people being put out of their homes (which is what is on the cards here), but this case is slightly in excess. He had/has a "portfolio" of valuable properties, his house is worth a bundle, and he's been told to vacate. So why the wait?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    EG, I have been trying to figure this one out as it makes very little sense. Why is he not treated like other people who have been served eviction notices and turfed out? Or like water meter protestors and manhandled out of the way. In no way do I condone any mistreatment of a citizen of any country, and in many ways I abhor the thought of people being put out of their homes (which is what is on the cards here), but this case is slightly in excess. He had/has a "portfolio" of valuable properties, his house is worth a bundle, and he's been told to vacate. So why the wait?
    Because he's been able to drag it through the courts with help from other solicitors and professionals, plus he transferred the house to his children so he's now arguing that the bank can't put a claim on it.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Because he's been able to drag it through the courts with help from other solicitors and professionals, plus he transferred the house to his children so he's now arguing that the bank can't put a claim on it.
    Thanks Charlie, I'd not followed the story and only picked up little bits from tv or radio. I saw the video of Vincent Browne going after the LL guy, it was a bit unfair but I guess it's the mood of the moment.

There is a strata of Irish society which operates in a bubble, I suppose this is evidence of the same.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Thanks Charlie, I'd not followed the story and only picked up little bits from tv or radio. I saw the video of Vincent Browne going after the LL guy, it was a bit unfair but I guess it's the mood of the moment.

There is a strata of Irish society which operates in a bubble, I suppose this is evidence of the same.
    I don't think he was unfair - the man is insufferable and anybody would have lost their patience with him. Then again, so is every other Fianna Failer.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    in many ways I abhor the thought of people being put out of their homes (which is what is on the cards here)
    its not even his home. the parents live in england currently, probably to get an easier bankruptcy. they cant claim to live in england to take advantage of their bankruptcy laws and then claim they are being kicked out of their Irish home at the same time. the sense of entitlement here is bewildering

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    its not even his home. the parents live in england currently, probably to get an easier bankruptcy. they cant claim to live in england to take advantage of their bankruptcy laws and then claim they are being kicked out of their Irish home at the same time. the sense of entitlement here is bewildering
    Wait, this is a whole other side. Christ, it's stunning. Makes me feel lucky to live in the equlity ridden paradise that is Russia (feel dirty writing that, even as a joke).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Oh Ivor Ivor Ivor...

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0517/789041-ivor-callely/

I was passing by Liffey Valley today on the way home from college and my mind was cast back to Liam Lawlor and then naturally Ray Burke and CJ and P Flynn... I forgot about Ivor.

I'm so glad that FF are now back in a position of power. Especially one where they are trying to legislate for mortgage rates. Hmmm. Gotta love the obsession.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    So who is this fine, upstanding pillock of society, elected to public office? And why, if he has allegedly been arrested for drink driving and assaulting, a Garda has he not been named, like every other Joe Soap would have been? (Rhetorical questions that need no answers - libel lawyers are fierce expensive!)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...rk-747695.html
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I know I know... It's the Social Democrats Senator Error 404
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    It's a great old country - every body knows, but not a single national media source has given his name. Public interest versus right to privacy is all well and good, and an ex member of the Oireachtas, you could argue, would no longer a public figure. Equally, I've seen the point made that the three incidents are allegations, but it is a matter of fact that he was arrested, and that can be reported without falling foul of libel laws (rember Clare Daly's arrest?). But the fact that not one media source has broken ranks is very, very interesting. Someone's press office has gone into overdrive in the last 24 hours calling in favours or twisting arms....
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I know I know... It's the Social Democrats Senator Error 404
    A former Social Democrat now... ALLEGEDLY.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    suspected drink driving? Erratic behaviour?

If you ask me it sounds like he was snorting marijuana or something like that.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Saw some stuff on twitter that seemed to indicate he may have had some sort of breakdown and people were concerned for his welfare.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    suspected drink driving? Erratic behaviour?

If you ask me it sounds like he was snorting marijuana or something like that.
    Hopped up on goofballs no question, I've seen this before.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Michael Lowry goes on trial for tax fraud: https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...ry-garuda-ltd/

It's too much to hope they'd finally get him for something.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I'm not overly optimistic. And whenever his time as a TD is up, I'm sure there'll be a son or daughter primed to step up.

Still, we live in hope...
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast