Thread: Liam Bradys take on underage structure

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Liam Bradys take on underage structure

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-3186192.html

Given the other threads and some informed posts on the matter, i thought it appropriate to create a new thread, its a good read and shows brady has a good insight into the goings-on and goings-wrong of the underage structure in football in ireland.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    "The problem is the power of the schoolboys clubs. Some of them are making a lot of money out of young players going to England so there's real competition to hold on to their players and not let anybody have them. They don't like the FAI having influence on them."

Therein lies the rub.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Agh, for a minute I misread that as Liam Brady takes on underage structure
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    ‘Phase two of our Abbotstown project is the creation of a national academy complete with seven top class training pitches,’ said Delaney.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...05/225573-fai/
    There are/ were plans for a national academy. Might be a few more decades away. :-)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    The opening of the new headquarters completes the first phase of the FAI’s National Sports Campus project and chief executive John Delaney said the focus will now shift to quickly completing the second phase.

‘Phase two of our Abbotstown project is the creation of a national academy complete with seven top class training pitches,’ said Delaney.

That article is dated Dec 2007.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Evening Herald report completely omits the part where Brady says Trap is unlikely to abandon the 442 and gives the impression he's ready to drop Robbie.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/br...y-3186519.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Completely ignored the high standard under-19 league going on here at present. Also I believe there is plans to introduce an under 17 national league here too in the coming year or two.

All Brady knows these days is English football. Wrong person to be asking about the future of Irish football.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Completely ignored the high standard under-19 league going on here at present. Also I believe there is plans to introduce an under 17 national league here too in the coming year or two.

All Brady knows these days is English football. Wrong person to be asking about the future of Irish football.

Yes. And if he cared that much, he should quit Arsenal and take up Wim Koeverman's old job in the FAI to make a difference. Oh wait - that would require bravery.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bit much to call his bravery into account. He never said he wanted the job, he just answered the questions he was asked. Why on earth would anyone want to work with the FAI?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why on earth would anyone want to work with the FAI?
    The wages are good ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Not if you have an important job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    All Brady knows these days is English football.
    That becomes very clear when RTÉ get him on to do the rare European qualifiers involving Irish clubs that they cover.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Bit much to call his bravery into account. He never said he wanted the job, he just answered the questions he was asked. Why on earth would anyone want to work with the FAI?
    He's already worked with them before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    How did that work out for him?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Whatever about the root of our problems he is correct that the young players we have coming through are of a very poor standards. He says they aren't similar to the golden generation of Keane/Duff etc, thats for damn sure but I'd go one further and say they aren't even at the level of the players we had coming through 5 years ago with the likes of Doyle, McGeady, Long, Whelan, Westwood etc. The reality is that the "star" of our young players Robbie Brady is in no better of a position at his age than McShane or Stokes were so you could very easily see his career go either way. There's no probable successes like he said.

It is very worrying times ahead post-2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Doyle, McGeady and Long weren't "coming through" five years ago - they were established in the international set-up. Westwood hadn't even declared for us.

Our current underage sides are enjoying success that would have been unimaginable 5 years ago - in fact, we hadn't achieved anything of note below the senior side since Keane and Duff emerged in the late 90s. Of those sides that won medals at World Cups and European Championships, only a handful actually made long-term international careers, and aside from Duff and Keane they weren't necessarily the obvious ones. It's hard to judge who will make the grade from the current crop but our current crop are definitely more promising than those of five years ago.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    He isn't talking about U17-U19. He is talking about how kids brought into the game are being coached incorrectly. While players can always develop in the late teen years, most, if not coached properly from an early age, will never reach a high level

Rubbish. The man is the director of the Arsenal academy. He surely sees a decent amount of games involving Irish players plying their trade in the English League and he commented that the standard isn't good enough.

To me he is one of the best people to ask about the future of Irish football.

Yes. And if he cared that much, he should quit Arsenal and take up Wim Koeverman's old job in the FAI to make a difference. Oh wait - that would require bravery.
    Why should he quit his job? He has more than likely seen the workings in Ireland and known it was a pointless task at present. Considering his position at Arsenal, it's more than likely he would have been involved somewhat with Koeverman during his tenure.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Doyle, McGeady and Long weren't "coming through" five years ago - they were established in the international set-up. Westwood hadn't even declared for us.

Our current underage sides are enjoying success that would have been unimaginable 5 years ago - in fact, we hadn't achieved anything of note below the senior side since Keane and Duff emerged in the late 90s. Of those sides that won medals at World Cups and European Championships, only a handful actually made long-term international careers, and aside from Duff and Keane they weren't necessarily the obvious ones. It's hard to judge who will make the grade from the current crop but our current crop are definitely more promising than those of five years ago.
    Unimaginable because of Don Givens, not because the talent wasn't there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The talent wasn't there though. We have better players now playing a better brand of football. We have no stars like Keane and Duff, but plenty of prospects.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ah we have always had plenty of prospects and if keane and duff were the only ones who actually made it hte last time,then we have a hell of a lot to be worried about.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast