Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Games of the XXX Olympiad - London 2012

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Oh holy jaysus, there is some amount of history coming out here. Olivia Walshe, played camogie for Maynooth too. ltfc_2004, you would have known both myself and Osarusan, 100% sure of that, especially living with Helen. She was a complete header, very intelligent, great fighter and I remember tv3 trying to get her to do some modelling or something. One of the fighters (a trainee cleric) took over the club in 1999, Willie was captain but stepped down, and they went on for a couple of years. At the time I left, in 1999, we won AIB Club of the Year (Osarusan was there) and were the top University club in Ireland, as well as one of the best in the UK and Ireland. You'll remember the night of the first female fight, it was absolutely jammers and the place rocked. I fought before way more people before and after, but nothing ever matched up to the Union Bar.

Side note - Willie and Osarusan won silver medals in the British and Irish Championships in Portsmouth in 1998 (we took home a gold, 2 silver and a bronze - with just 4 fighters entered). Osarusan was a person you didn't want to get in the ring with ;-)

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I've suddenly changed my mind on Irish fans and the LOI.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Hooligans the lot of us :-)

Stuttgart88, you have made a 100% correct point on tennis, though I'm not sure about the 10,000hr part. I believe that good coaching, proper guidance and targets mean alot more. Just a short example from the trenches. A former Russian National Junior team member (won Junior Fed Cup) ranked top 50 in the world under 18, played all the major Junior events, had just slipped outside the top 400 pros. Her pre-training (and match) breakfast consisted of tvorog (also known as quark - or cottage cheese), jam, orange juice, a yoghurt and some nuts. She then trained/played until evening before her next equally crap meal. I only foud this out when she asked me what food would give her more energy - so I asked about her daily diet, presuming that she'd have it in hand.

If you get the simple things like nutrition, education, training, rest, recovery, sleep etc (not to mention psychology) right, then everything on the court is easy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Conlan has to win. Great scrap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Great stuff to guarantee our third medal. Really tight encounter but Conlan got some great punches in in the final round to make the difference.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Dam I really wanted to watch that, I thought the BBC would show it but they didn't so by the time I found a
    stream I could hear but not see the action because it was all plastered with adverts as that are hard to close!!

Dam!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    If you're in the UK, you'll be able to watch it again by clicking on the fourth segment of this stream: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...video/p00w38bd

Is that UK-only?

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    www.eurovisionsports.tv You can watch RTE with it.

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Bloody hell, I was in Maynooth in 1999 and don't remember any of that. I did have a rather good time at college though
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Tricky, assuming youre in the UK, you can see all sports on the BBC website. Alternatively, most are on the red button on digital tv. If you have sky there are 23 channels showing all sports. No excuse to miss anything, thats how ive just been watching South Korea against Italy in the volleyball

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Tricky, assuming youre in the UK, you can see all sports on the BBC website. Alternatively, most are on the red button on digital tv. If you have sky there are 23 channels showing all sports. No excuse to miss anything, thats how ive just been watching South Korea against Italy in the volleyball
    Yes I just realised, I will give it a spin. I did catch a bit of the replay but I was in a panic because my computer kept crashing for some reason, I
    can watch and record on that via a USB dongle, cheaper than a video recorder.
    I thought the computer was on it last legs but I gave it a bit of a clean out inside reseated my video card and took some USB devices off it,
    might be overloaded, might have ben too hot not sure, but it seems pretty stable now, - famous last words lol.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Great news that Conlon is through to the last 4, I thought he had looked a class act at the World championship last October where he missed out on a medal by a hair's breadth to a Welsh boxer, Selby. Now he goes on to fight the Cuban who beat Selby comprehensively in the 1/4 finals yesterday. That's an indicator of the task ahead for Conlon, regardless he'll give him one hell of a fight.
    We're well capable to go on to be the powerhouse in amateur boxing that Cuba held up to these games
    Last edited by geysir; 08/08/2012 at 7:22 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Bloody hell, I was in Maynooth in 1999 and don't remember any of that. I did have a rather good time at college though
    Ha, i was also in Maynooth at this time, remember the buzz for the boxing, was half thinking of going for it but chickened out at the time - so it seems there is a lot of foot.iers that were ex maynotthers circa 1996-1999 - wow

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I do remember Mr A and you were there from about 1996 as you sat beside me in Physics Labs at one stage !!!! if its Mr Mc N???

You guys probably would remember me so, I lived with Ciaran Cronin as well ....... anyway way off topic I suppose If your looking for Willie, these days its Dr Willie of UCC computer science dept !!!

I was more involved in the football club and are any foot.iers ex internal league team members ?
    Last edited by ltfc_2004; 08/08/2012 at 9:46 AM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Yes. And this is getting very fecking spooky!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Sorry for dragging the Maynooth thread off-topic, but it looks like the Brits are claiming our Katie: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/08/08/...ily-telegraph/

Mind you, I was talking to a girl (who has a university science degree and works for a major company) about the Olympics, and she didn't even realise Ireland was a separate country. It took her a long while to figure out why I wasn't as excited as she was that Team GB, featuring NI and the Crown Dependencies, were up to third in the medal table.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    ltfc - Ciaran Cronin, now that was a mad lad. He fought Willie one night (I think it was the Christmas show) and Willie completely lost it as Ciaran went in to lose. He was a neat fighter, tall and sharp, but Willie (nickname "The Worm" could be very good).

Bennocelt - you should have tried out, we'd a real mix of people. If anyone remembers Gerry Lydon from Mayo, he was one of our stars. He was a headcase in a nice way and unbeatable because you never knew where punches were coming from. Osarusan will remember him fighting in UCD and how he just bamboozled his opponent with Connacht fury.

Mr. A - you seriously missed out on some insanity, then again, Maynooth from that period was insane enough. I wish I'd spent more time there as I was splitting time between 3 countries. Loved the town, uni and atmosphere.

So, here on foot.ie we can advance the word, the first women's amateur fight in Ireland was in Maynooth (and it was official and legal), between Tipp and Galway, ltfc_2004 lived with one of them, Osarusan sparred with both, I trained both and we all lived happily ever after. In all honesty, it was the official start of women's boxing in Ireland and the man who pushed it for us was Dom O'Rourke...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    That has been a cool few pages lads - nice story.

Just to inform that Cian O'Connor was first reserve in the individual showjumping final, got in after a swedish competitor withdrew and now Cian leads the competition with a clear round. Could be a surprise medal ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    RAM - did he jump a clear? I'm just in the door and can't get the feed working. He was supposed to be first up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Yes a clear and no time pens either.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast