Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games of the XXX Olympiad - London 2012

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The D marks 10 yards from the spot - the rest of the penalty area is at least 10 yards from it. only the taker and the keeper are allowed in it before the ball is kicked. I don't think interference
    , bar verbals, would be allowed if a player took a longer run up. The penalty taker must be identified to the keeper and ref before its taken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I don't think interference
    , bar verbals, would be allowed if a player took a longer run up.
    What would prevent a line of of opposing players positioning themselves along the edge of the 'D'? The law against impeding the progress of an opponent presumably (covered by the rather ambiguous Law 12 of the Laws of the Game)? Could it be deemed obstruction though if the group were just standing where they were legitimately entitled to stand rather than moving into the taker's path or budging him off course?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    btw, this is the nub of it and also a practical solution. An Irish solution to an Irish problem - export them!

1. How much would it cost to build and maintain a world class velodrome? What chances are that it will result in dozens (or even half a dozen) world class track racers?
    2. How much would it cost to build a rowing lake? And as above but rowers in for racers.

It is cheaper and more efficient to send them abroad. In many cases we don't have the brainpower to develop the athletes at home. Plus, if an athlete really wants to make the breakthrough, they'll go for it somewhere else. Support them, facilitate them, educate them and organise their careers, but make sure they know where they're from and tie them up with a contract.

Handwringing and whinging from pundits is largely self-serving nest feathering. Track and field athletes go abroad in winter for warm weather training, regardless of indoor facilities available to them - yet I heard the 3 talking heads on RTE complain that they "have to" go in the winter. What do we do, effect a weather changing machine? Others I heard complaining that the facilities "just aren't there", there's a reason. In your tiny sport there isn't the critical mass to invest tens of millions to build something to keep YOU in a job!

I know I'm being as much of a whinger as the nodding dogs on tv and in the media, but please spare the the madness that we hear once in four about "facilities". If it was just that then Ireland would be a world class tennis power........
    Take the rowing lake. You're right it would cost a few quid. But that's not to say it wouldn't be world doing. Maintaining a lake doesn't sound like its going to be terribly expensive in Ireland. It's not like we're going to need a big team of people to be responsible for filling it in our climate, and building it would put a load of people who drive diggers and what not to work for a year or two. Every good park has a lake; ours hasn't got one and once it was finished Micky D would have somewhere nice to walk the dogs in the morning. And we would be able to host an annual regatta and fill hotel rooms with toffs, who are likely to spend a few bob more round the city than the typical stag-do crowd.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    BTW, this is Ireland we're talking about. It will take 3 years longer than expected, have cost overruns x 4 and then have to be closed because some brightspark forgot to file the right papers and remove the toxic waste dump (aka Navan) from next door. Add to this the inevitable fall out over who is to operate it, until it's outsourced to a FG buddy whose offshore company also has links to some unsavoury regime (Merkel) and the Catholic church.

Apart from that it looks fine :-)

Really though, having such facilities can help Irish sports and tourism, but look at what we have and what we do with it? Initiatives like this can come from a) government, b) big business or c) both together. It's long term, community based and for the betterment of everyone - the only way this is going to work is if it's outsourced to the GAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    The Maghera cyclist didn't win anything as there is no medal for first reserve on a cycling team
    Indeed, I was thinking of her silver in 2008. Quite impressive that she was even first reserve this time, given that the other three women were all about 12-15 years younger.

But here's the thing. The Coleraine rowers and Maghera cyclist live in London, Maidenhead and Cornwall
    A fair point, although actually Houvenaghel had to live in Manchester for years to be near the velodrome. As did Wiggins and many of the other top British cyclists. Bodmin (a small town in England's most remote, poorest county) had about as much chance of getting one as Maghera.

How many medals would be coming back to Ireland (whatever colours the athletes are togged out in) if our best chance wasn't relying on people who have emigrated to places with proper facilities?
    Tsk, who's winding up now. We don't emigrate to Manchester or London, even if you do

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    But just how pivotal were the facilities at home to their achievements?
    For the rowers, I'd guess quite a bit. It's still a very popular schools sport in more affluent Unionist areas, AFAIK. In my day, you had to be both physically fit (no-one was allowed near a boat before proving themselves in cross-country, weights etc.) and brave (to risk brick-throwers and potential suffocation or tetanus from a fall in the Lagan).
    Last edited by Gather round; 05/08/2012 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Tsk, who's winding up now. We don't emigrate to Manchester or London, even if you do
    Completely innocent, but if I substitute the word "emigrate" for "move" we're we in complete agreement right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Completely innocent, but if I substitute the word "emigrate" for "move" we're we in complete agreement right?
    I'm not sure actually. While the rowers and cyclists clearly benefit from moving for tougher competition and better/ the only appropriate facilities, is that true of all sports? I mean, the Irish boxing team don't spend all their time training in Las Vegas, Ukraine, or Philipines, or wherever that sport's current stronghold is?

As for spend on Olympic standard facilities, Ireland already has three (Abbotstown, Belfield and Limerick) with a fourth about to complete in Bangor. There seem to be only eight in England according to Wiki, so that's hardly ungenerous. The priority in spending should be more modest but still high quality facilities eg 25m indoor pools in all large towns, astroturf pitches for every school etc.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    GR, the Irish boxing team travel for training camps as well as host teams in Ireland thanks to long term vision from the IABA and investment that matched their ambitions. Athletics Ireland couldn't agree on the colour of the bib let alone what spot to develop, ditto the FAI etc.

As for Olympic standard facilities, don't leave out DCU, top class facilities and they host a number of high end professionals (Cricket, tennis and boxing).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The rowers have a National Rowing Centre in Inniscarra in Cork, which is on the reservoir on the river Lee. it probably isn't a world class facility but the union probably made the best of it with the money they have. The female rower Sanita Puspere moved to cork from Dublin so she could use the National rowing centre more often.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Well, we have our first medal. 2nd up tomorrow, and 3rd too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Great stuff from Nevin, although I thought it was closer than the judges called it. That punch to the body really took the stuffing out of him in the final round and I was a bit worried as he hung on, but he'd done enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Happy days. Medal number 24! chalk it down.

Fighting the world number 1 cuban in the semi but nothing to lose now.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm struggling with the scroll bar within the quote function on my iPad, so jumping on a bit: facilities are sh1t in Ireland notwithstanding the DCU and Iniscarra comments above.

Did anyone here go to the lake in Poznan? We went out there the morning of the Croatia game and witnessed a state of the art municipal rowing facility every bit as good as Eton Dorney (I know, I've raced there) with a whole host of family things to do at the weekend and ways of making the facility pay for itself. I mean all it is is a big hole in the ground, filled with water and a pavilion with pretty rudimentary spectator facilities but does anyone in government circles have the vision to create anything like that? Eton Dorney makes more money from hosting regular triathlon events than rowing so it's commercially viable - and triathlon is a rapidly growing sport in Ireland. I guess my point is that alternative uses make these projects worthwhile. I wasn't aware of the national rowing centre in Cork until Peadar posted about it above, but did the planners factor in alternative uses? The Poznan place was full of recreational joggers (OK, they don't pay) and families looking for a fun and affordable destination. I'd take my kids there every weekend for the play facilities which included a cheap bobsleigh run type thing and a dry ski slope. Does the Cork facility have an adjacent series of paths and tracks like those that make Eton Dorney such a popular triathlon venue (every fortnight during the summer season I reckon)?

Even if the rowing centre isn't a good example I think we're an ideologically fcuked up country. We let some parts of the private sector run wild, let the government run parts of the country unchallenged, spend the public purse woefully yet deny economically valuable funding to projects that improve the health and happiness of the nation. I visited Reykjavik in 2008 and thought they had better municipal facilities than Dublin. My local running track in Willesden (that's all it is - a local facility) would be our national athletics stadium. But as long as the GAA lads and the greyhounds are OK sure we're grand. I'm a huge believer in the power of the public purse and the role of the state as long as it's not looking after vested interests and cronies. The daft thing is, good facilities are good vote winners but somehow and somewhere we missed a huge opportunity during the boom years. I'm a dyed in the wool Keynesian: public works yield economic dividends. They get people off the dole reducing welfare liabilities, they give people incomes which are taxed and which they spend, creating jobs and incomes for other people. Sure, some public expenditure is misguided and probably wasted but that's a question of accountability and there's a moral case for the state stepping in where private interests won't anyway.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/08/2012 at 10:15 PM.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Had read that alright; she's better in windier conditions due to her weight and strength. Unlikely she'll take the gold then if the forecast is calm.
    I've raced against her, it's scary when the breeze gets up and she disappears! She's no slouch in the lighter airs, but I don't think she's gold medal standard in anything less than about 15 or 20 knots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    I'm not sure actually. While the rowers and cyclists clearly benefit from moving for tougher competition and better/ the only appropriate facilities, is that true of all sports? I mean, the Irish boxing team don't spend all their time training in Las Vegas, Ukraine, or Philipines, or wherever that sport's current stronghold is?

As for spend on Olympic standard facilities, Ireland already has three (Abbotstown, Belfield and Limerick) with a fourth about to complete in Bangor. There seem to be only eight in England according to Wiki, so that's hardly ungenerous. The priority in spending should be more modest but still high quality facilities eg 25m indoor pools in all large towns, astroturf pitches for every school etc.
    I honestly didn't realise there were 50m pools in UCD or UL, but a bit of research advises only the Limerick one was built more than 5 years ago. The real test will be in 10-15 years time to see what the payback of the investment has been.

But I think the boxers are the real example here. The point is that they do have world class facilities here on their doorstep. Everything I've heard from people who know what they are talking about would suggest the Irish set-up is amongst the best in the world and that other countries are coming here to see what we are doing. Sending people abroad for better competition is all well and good, but bringing them here for better competition should be the real goal.

In sport these days it is important to be developing people from early on. It's no good realising at 17 that a kid has something, and sending him to England to see what he can do. You need to be picking up on that at 12/13, and kids that age simply can't leave their parents so sport has to come to them. That is what other countries are doing (well some effectively kidnap talented kids but that's not a great idea) so if we want success for those kids we have to provide the facilities within not much more than 2hrs round trip.

And for these purposes the border should be next to invisible. I've said this before but with the roads we have built / will build if we put these things somewhere around Portlaoise and Ballygawley they will be within a reasonable drive of almost everyone.

Totally agree on the basic facilities though. No point in having world class facilities for world class athletes if you don't have the basic facilities to identify them. From what I have seen the north seems to be ahead of the south on that one. More or less every market town in NI has a Leisure Centre with a 25m pool, badminton/squash/tennis courts etc. I don't see those sort of things down below (apologies if I'm wrong about that). But a lot of the pools seem to be private, attached to a hotel or gym or whatever.

Again, I didn't realise we had a rowing facility in Cork, but its no use to you if your from Ballymoney. If your any good you may as well take the scolaership to OxBridge, have a go at the boat race and get the really impressive arts degree. If we had a rowing lake in Dublin and a culture of competition between Trinity, UCD, QUB, UU, UCC, UL & NUI Galway, we would be bound to find a few great athletes

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Annalise just caught by Belgium at the end. Poor girl, great effort.

Peadar - how come down wind is a struggle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Annalise just caught by Belgium at the end. Poor girl, great effort.

Peadar - how come down wind is a struggle?
    I think it could be because she's heavier than the other girls. In marginal planing conditions like today a couple of extra kg can be the difference between getting a good surf on and just sitting in the water. In the windier stuff, everyone is able to surf, the difference is a little less pronounced, and Annalise's height and fitness start to count for more.

She did seem to pick the left hand side every downwind leg as well, whereas van Acker and Bouwmeester were able to sail to her right with speed, she might lack a bit of the experience needed to defend clear air downwind. She still sailed an incredible race, just not quite incredible enough. Beaten by three very talented girls. I'm proud of her, and hoping for a windy Rio in 2016!

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yep, Belgian girl saying now that switching to the RHS on the last downwind was what made it for her. She went left the first two times.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Just in to watch Katie Taylor. Feeling a little bit proud. 1st ever official women's amateur fight in Ireland was in October 1998 between a girl from Galway and one from Tipp (Helen Fitzgerald). Took place out in NUI Maynooth and was shown on TV3. The then Kildare County Board Chairman who attended and oversaw it was....Dom O'Rourke! He pushed women's boxing and, well, hopefully we get medal number 2 today!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Just in to watch Katie Taylor. Feeling a little bit proud. 1st ever official women's amateur fight in Ireland was in October 1998 between a girl from Galway and one from Tipp (Helen Fitzgerald). Took place out in NUI Maynooth and was shown on TV3. The then Kildare County Board Chairman who attended and oversaw it was....Dom O'Rourke! He pushed women's boxing and, well, hopefully we get medal number 2 today!
    What was the Galway girl's name? Was she a Maynooth student too?

I was at this fight - I was actually on the bill that night, but can't remember if this was one of the (unfortunately common) occasions my fight was cancelled.

I trained a Maynooth girl to win...something....against a girl from UCD...but I can't remember her name now.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast