Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Noel Whelan for Ireland???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts

Noel Whelan for Ireland???

This is getting beyond a joke. I'd have to say I'd find it very hard to cheer Whelan, but that's my opinion of him as a player, rather than anything to do with his nationality.

From http://www.thisisaberdeen.co.uk/disp...entPK=10726317

NOEL CHASES IRELAND SPOT

16:00 - 07 August 2004
    New Don Noel Whelan is ready to change allegiance to revive his international career.

The former England Under-21 cap has pledged his future to the Republic of Ireland and qualifies because his father is Irish.

Whelan, who was tipped to become a future full England cap, reckons his move to Aberdeen will help improve his international prospects.

He said: "It was great to play for England at youth level and to win two caps.

"But now I have declared myself available for the Republic of Ireland which I did via my agent.

"You can do that as long as you haven't represented another country in a full senior match."

Whelan, who was set to make his competitive Dons debut against Rangers today, now wants Republic boss Kerr to check him out at Pittodrie.

The former Leeds United, Coventry City and Middlesbrough forward knows he will have to turn on the style for Aberdeen if he is going to earn an international place up front alongside the likes of Robbie Keane.

He added: "I hope the Republic manager Brian Kerr comes to take a look at me and I would be chuffed if something came off.

"If I get off to a good start with Aberdeen then who knows what could happen?

"I would love to play for the Republic of Ireland despite having played for the England Under-21 team.

"At the end of the day it is full international caps you want and my family are right behind my plans.

"They weren't pleased about my initial decision to play for England in the first place so it is only fair that I change things now."

Dons boss Calderwood is backing his new boy to become a smash hit in the SPL.

And he says Whelan will still be terrorising defences for the next six years.

"I think Noel will do well in the SPL but it is a hard league to play in," said Calderwood.

"It's very difficult for strikers but I hope he can become a big success here - he is still only 29.

"He has got a good five or six years left in him and if he brings Aberdeen any kind of success he would be a legend up here.

"I don't think he would want to leave the club if he enjoys a bit of success."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    "But now I have declared myself available for the Republic of Ireland which I did via my agent.

"At the end of the day it is full international caps you want and my family are right behind my plans.
    Give me a break.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For Christ sakes!! If he was a horse he'd currently be a tube of adhesive, so he decides he's Irish. How about when you were successful Noel? What nationality were you then????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is getting beyond a ****ing joke. The worrying part is there's probably a good chance Brian will go cap in hand to him and have him in the next squad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    What age is he? he's got to be in his 30's now. don't think he's got any chance of being picked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    "At the end of the day it is full international caps you want......."
    .......even if it's not for your country

go fcuk yourself whelan
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff
    What age is he? he's got to be in his 30's now. don't think he's got any chance of being picked.
    I don't know, the way things are going under Kerr I fully expect if he gets a couple of goals in the mighty SPL playing for giants Aberdeen he'll be put straight into the squad.

thecorner

He added: "I hope the Republic manager Brian Kerr comes to take a look at me and I would be chuffed if something came off.

thats how rumours start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Brian Kerr ever picked that useless pr1ck we'd be a laughing stock. In all fairness though, I think there's more chance of me getting a cap than Whelan so hopefully we won't have to worry.....
    More to the point, it'd be a kick in the teeth for the likes of Jason Byrne, John O' Flynn etc if he got into a squad before them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    It's time for this shyte to stop. I know there was the FIFA rule change last year regarding the youth internationals, but the FAI should make their own rule/stance opposing this.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    It's time for this shyte to stop. I know there was the FIFA rule change last year regarding the youth internationals, but the FAI should make their own rule/stance opposing this.
    I think that would be throwing the baby out with the bath water to be honest. Just because you or I don't rate/like a player doesn't mean we should abandon this rule altogether.
    It's there to prevent (to some degree) the exploitation of young footballers.
    It's not something that we aren't familar with is it? The treatment of McGeady leaves a sour taste in the mouth. We cap him at senior level to ensure that he can never play for Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    We cap him at senior level to ensure that he can never play for Scotland.
    he's not played a senior competitive game for us yet, the Scots can still play him...
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    he's not played a senior competitive game for us yet, the Scots can still play him...
    I stand corrected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    Hardly,he always wanted to play for Ireland ...the Diaspora,don't you know
    Yes and hes as Irish as Whelan. If it was a couple of years ago and a certain W.Rooney decided to switch to Ireland having played for Englad I doubt very much people would be complaining as they are now for Whelan.

Anyway does anyone really think that Whelan is going to get a call up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    I don't know, the way things are going under Kerr I fully expect if he gets a couple of goals in the mighty SPL playing for giants Aberdeen he'll be put straight into the squad.
    What do you mean? What is Kerr doing to suggest that he would cap anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    Yes and hes as Irish as Whelan. If it was a couple of years ago and a certain W.Rooney decided to switch to Ireland having played for Englad I doubt very much people would be complaining as they are now for Whelan.
    Completely agree and its 100% true.

Stop blaming the bloody player lads, as Davros says, blame FIFA. And to slate Kerr for capping Macken (which, Slash/ed, is what essentially you are doing) is silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's got nothing to do with the rules the reason I'm slating Kerr over Macken is because he's not very good, in my opinion. If I'm proved wrong I'm all for him being in our team but he's done absolutley nothing to warrent a call up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    It's got nothing to do with the rules the reason I'm slating Kerr over Macken is because he's not very good, in my opinion. If I'm proved wrong I'm all for him being in our team but he's done absolutley nothing to warrent a call up.
    He's done just as much as Morrison, Connolly and Lee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    For Christ sakes!! If he was a horse he'd currently be a tube of adhesive
    Brilliant!!!
    He is within his rights though ...the team has historically benefited far more than it has lost out by bringing UK born eligible players into the fold.

Still though -will you ever fcuk off Whelan you donkey

Being a Leed supporter I remember being dissaponted when he decided to play U21 for Engerland. But as his career trajectory has shown (Leeds-Coventry-Middlesbrough-Aberdeen) he'd bring nothing to the party we don't have already.

Up to Brian at the end of the day. Good enough for Brian, Good enough for me.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I guess there's a slight difference in the Macken and Whelan strories. AFIK we never put the question to Macken at the time of his U20 call up. With Whelan however I recall that the FAI were actively persuing him and he explicitly rejected us and declared for Engerland. Lets hope Kerr ignores him.
    Together with all our hearts.