Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 15th August 2012 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Positives: Inclusions of McCarthy, Wilson, Coleman. Also, McClean, Gibson and Long should be given more game-time.

Negatives: McShane, O'Dea, Keogh, Green, Treacy. All Championship players, three of whom will struggle for game time this year. Pointless inclusions. No Clark or Hoolahan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Foley refused call up and all players in their 30's rested. Trap wanted to call up Brady and Duffy but they were needed for U21 qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    No Clark, Ireland, Hoolahan, Pearce, Pilkington, Fahey, Duffy, Brady yet players like Green, O'Dea, McShane, Keogh, Treacy are called up
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    One of the papers said that Trap was in touch with Foley over the summer to try and patch things up.

I'm fine with Brady, Duffy, Cunningham etc. being omitted - the U21 game is far more important.

Silly decision to include Forde. I thought he was a good pick for the Euros because of experience but he has no long term value and Henderson would have been a better pick.

I'm neutral on Treacy but would prefer he starts delivering at club level first.

Glad to see Wilson and Coleman there.

Keogh is a strange one. I'd have preferred another look at Stokes.

Green always frightens me because I think Trap will favour him over a better player. His presence reduces the chances of a better look at our midfield options.

Very disappointed that there is no place for Clark or Hoolahan. McShane, how unimaginative is that?

I wonder was there any approach to Pearce or Pilkington, or any hint at sounding out Stephen Ireland via his clubmates?

On balance it doesn't look to me like Trap has bucked up his ideas at all. I expect we'll see either a traditional 4-4-2 or a badly devised version of a 4-3-3 with players asked to play roles inappropriate to their skill sets and we'll be in for a very frustrating affair.

D+ / C-. Must try harder.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh ‏@Ciaran_O
    TRAP: "We follow Hoolahan & Pilkington, but we already have McCarthy, I wish see James. I wish McCarthy in midfield."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    TrapAPony, Fahey is injured I think, so no problem there.

Don't underestimnate the importance off August's U21 game. We have a shout at qualifying which is a total rarity at this stage in a campaign. These lads have been together for a while and could be the spine of a good senior team.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
    Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh ‏@Ciaran_O
    TRAP: "We follow Hoolahan & Pilkington, but we already have McCarthy, I wish see James. I wish McCarthy in midfield."
    What does he mean by we already have McCarthy?? Hoolahan and Pilkington do not play in the same position
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I wish to see mccarthy in midfield. You can wish to see more htan one change in midfield trap. Thats what he is saying above.

I'd have like to have seen pilkington and holohan involved, but its not a huge call. Perhaps further down the line we might see them yet. What I'm always guessing at though is whether or not Trap is aware of the likes of pearce or someone like that. These press conferences would be hte time to say we are monitoring other players who have not yet been picked such as pearce.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Keogh is a strange one. I'd have preferred another look at Stokes.
    In fairness to Andy (cos he doesn't always get a fair shake), he was in great form at Millwall. I'd have left him and Stokes behind to include Hoolahan mind.

Trap On Foley (from O'Raghallaigh's Twitter): "I called Foley, spoke with him, he said he's a little bit sad. He said 'thank you, but I'm not ready at this moment, I'm disappointed'
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Again from O'Raghallaigh's Twitter: "McCarthy is the main beneficiary, it seems. Set to start in Serbia, to prove he's ready for Kazakhstan away (with Andrews suspended)"

Trap also said he keeps an eye on Sean Scannell and a bunch of others (though no mention of Pearce). Would be good for an attending journo to pin him on it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I wish to see mccarthy in midfield. You can wish to see more htan one change in midfield trap. Thats what he is saying above.

I'd have like to have seen pilkington and holohan involved, but its not a huge call. Perhaps further down the line we might see them yet. What I'm always guessing at though is whether or not Trap is aware of the likes of pearce or someone like that. These press conferences would be hte time to say we are monitoring other players who have not yet been picked such as pearce.
    I think Trap went to see Reading (v Crystyal Palace?) last season and someone here (Tets?) said it was possibly to see Pearce. I can't imagine the FAI would not make him aware. Yes, I know everything's possible with the FAI but I still think he'd know.

I think Hoolahan out and Green in is a sign that any changes will be small. Picking an out and out playmaker over a grafter would have been a signal that ball retention, passing etc is being addressed.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya thats what i meant before, the Mccarthy comment, it looks like the one change, but not a system/tactical change. We need strategic changes at this stage not tactical!!

He is giving mileage to the "old dog new tricks" and "stubborn old dinosaur", even hodgson contends with the fact that 4-4-2 is just not cutting it anymore in the modern international game.

I don't expect Trap, to make whole hearted changes for Kazhakstan and I expect the first 3 games will be similar to the last 4 years under Trap, however these players have played together years, they know their place and the system, so using a Friendly to discover other formations/players/whatever is imperative - yet again it appears he will let us down here.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    possible line up is :
    Code:
               Westwood    

Kelly   O'Shea  St Ledger Wilson

McGeady Whelan  McCarthy  McLean

Walters Long

Randolph
    Forde
    O'Dea
    Ward
    McShane
    Gibson
    Coleman
    Green
    Keogh
    Treacy
    Doyle
    Cox
    Was pointed out on twitter that this is the first post 2002 World Cup squad to not have any players from that World Cup squad.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Sounds like a typically entertaining press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh View Post
    TRAP: "Stephen Ireland? This moment, no. It's same position as McCarthy. I say 'never say never'. We must look forward."
    No clear answer on Q about tactical from Trap. Appeared to suggest he's limited by players' habits at clubs. Which is slightly confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Delaney View Post
    Trap asked what he learned from Euro 2012. Reiterates line about how first two minutes of Croatia/Spain cost everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Delaney View Post
    Trap said had Ireland got a result in first game against Croatia, might have approached Spain differently, perhaps extra midfielder.
    TRAP: "I would like to start the Euros again tomorrow, I'm sure it would be different. I wake thinking I want to begin again...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel McDonnell View Post
    Trapattoni would like to start the Euros again tomorrow - with the same team, with the same squad. He's sure there'd be a different outcome
    ‏TRAP: (Germany and Sweden) "I know German players' potential. But every game is 90 minutes (here we go again...)
    TRAP: "Coleman. We need a defender who can attack, cross, and get back. He could do this, but for his club he plays 'front'."
    TRAP - to punter: "I ask, would you play Coleman against Germany as defender." 'Yes'. "Ok, you can sit in bench next game."

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He cant really believe that it would have gone different. Even given that we lost to Croatia, the capitulation against Spain, and the limited defeat to Italy, wouldn't matter whether we played tomorrow or next year. That kinda stubborness and failure to acknowledge that things went drastically wrong, are very frustrating. In no other job, or even other football teams, could you get away with serious underperforming and hten come out and say ah I could have done it differently, if I got to do it again. YOu will never get to do it again.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think this is how I'd pick XI players from that squad

---------------Westwood-------------
    ----Kelly----JOS-----SSL----Wilson---------
    ----------------Whelan-----------
    Coleman--McCarthy--Gibson--McClean
    ----------------AN Other---------

(AN Other: not much to choose between Doyle, Long and Walters)

Although Whelan is lucky to keep his place.

Alternatively:

---------------Westwood-------------
    ----Kelly----JOS-----SSL----Wilson---------
    -----------McCarthy---Gibson
    Coleman----McGeady---McClean
    ----------------AN Other---------

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    In no other job, or even other football teams, could you get away with serious underperforming and hten come out and say ah I could have done it differently, if I got to do it again.
    I think it's OK to hypothesise about having to do it again. The worrying thing is DMcD's tweet that he wouldn't change anything.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 20/07/2012 at 1:21 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I'd like option 2 there to be tried out - Its what I'd go for with Long up top.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I predict Tets' team, but with Ward starting over Wilson.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I'm reasonably pleased about this squad. If I was picking it, there would have been wholesale changes, but to be fair, a balance has to be reached between the squad at euro 2012 and the squad that will take us on in to the future. I never expected massive change from Trap, so he's probably exceeded my expectations. I'm happy that the u21 players weren't called up, though I would say only Cunningham might have stood a chance.

The big positives would be that I would expect Wilson, McClean and McCarthy to start. Coleman should get a run out also - he is the type that could be invaluble in places like Kazakhstan, but I don't think Trap trusts him in any way defensively. I'm very disappointed that Clark isn't there, but maybe in future squads he might get a chance to stake his claim, as with Hoolahan etc.

It would be great if a B international could be organised.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast