Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 15th August 2012 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think it's OK to hypothesise about having to do it again. The worrying thing is DMcD's tweet that he wouldn't change anything.
    That was an obvious pre-requisite or given on that statement, he said himself it would be different, the result, not how he went about things....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I predict Tets' team, but with Ward starting over Wilson.
    I really really really hope not. really seriously. i will lose all faith.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    there is absolutely nothing new in that squad (aside from temporary ommissions).

The message is loud and clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'm not that bothered/suprised about Hoolahan.
    It's Ciaran Clark's omission that I'm really annoyed about, especially when McShane is named ahead of him. Clark could well be the future of our defence and a potential captain.
    At least Wilson is given a chance...

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McShane wasn't named ahead of Clark. They play in different positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Are they not both CB's? With McShane covering RB and Clark being able to cover LB & CM

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They would probably both prefer to be CBS but McShane is in the squad as a right full and Clark is a left full when he is in the squad. They'd both be cover for CB in a dire emergency. Wilson is in the squad ahead of Clark, McShane ahead of Foley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Why are we naming the squad now? Some players haven't even started pre season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Clark is on the u21 squad as well no?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    Clark is on the u21 squad as well no?
    Unfortunately not.He'll be 23 next month.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I think Mr Trapattoni knows best when it comes to football, so we should back him all the way.
    We shouldn't be clouded about what happened at the Euros we lost to the 2 finalists and with a bit of luck we may of got something against Croatia.
    As for the Serbia game it gives us a chance to give players a run out and to refocus ahead of the World Cup Qualifiers.
    Any thoughts on who will take the captains armband for the Serbia game?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    "I think Mr Trapattoni knows best when it comes to football"

Yeah, let's follow him all the way to Brazil and we'll win the WC. He's the best, no doubt about it. Glory days are ahead.

Now back to reality. I want to see the good in him, but I'm fast losing faith in him. He has a disastrous EUro 2012 and then says he's going to bring in the likes of Hoolahan, and mentions him by name. Then he doesn't bring him in????? What am I missing Mr Trap?

And Paul McShane and Paul Green are still flavor of the month???? Who knows what's in his head anymore?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    I think Mr Trapattoni knows best when it comes to football, so we should back him all the way. Any thoughts on who will take the captains armband for the Serbia game?
    Well, the condescension and scarcely concealed contempt of the modern footballer toward those who pay to watch him there, in all its self serving glory.

Basically ''never mind that we just got dicked, repeatedly and to an embarrassing extent in all three games, I'm all right Jack, I'm in the eleven, and I'm about to be made captain for a game, so all is well. And anyone who says or thinks different is a know nothing terrace idiot''

Brilliant Doc. Well said. Well done.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 20/07/2012 at 9:43 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    crafty, couldnt have said it better never have i been so sure as to ssl's real identity.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    I absolutely don't care about the players he's selected for this, utter irrelevance. What I want to see is an abolishment of the 4-4-2 dinosaur system, only then can we look to move forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    A week away from soccer and I finally get some decent wifi to post something more than stream of thought gibberish.

Disappointed to see Green and McShane in there. Other than that I'm not too surprised.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Largely agree with murf, as long as Green isn't favoured ahead of Gibson and as long as Wilson gets plenty of time. My fear is that he'll play a half arsed 433 with round pegs in square holes, and then he'll say I told you our players can't adapt, which would be nonsense. Pick a player in a role that suits his ability (which is what I did in my sample selections above) and there's no reason why a change can't work.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Largely agree with murf, as long as Green isn't favoured ahead of Gibson and as long as Wilson gets plenty of time. My fear is that he'll play a half arsed 433 with round pegs in square holes, and then he'll say I told you our players can't adapt, which would be nonsense. Pick a player in a role that suits his ability (which is what I did in my sample selections above) and there's no reason why a change can't work.
    Ya, thats what i thought after the uruguay game when he picked clark and mccarthy, mccarthy moreso looked all out of shape because its a position he doesn't play in. It was a case of appease the media/public and then prove them wrong, and a i told you so attitude - even though they weren't played in their preferred/proper positions.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Miguel Delaney's take is that it will be 442:

Despite the opportunity the Serbia friendly provides, he did not call up a single player that hasn’t been in a squad before and kept the numbers at the surprisingly limited 23. Experimentation, it seems, will only go so far.

That was also reflected in his rationale for not trying out three in midfield. Essentially, Trapattoni explained that Ireland don’t have central midfielders of sufficient attacking quality to properly support a lone striker. In order for his team to pose an attacking threat, he argued, they need to keep two up front.

"Many other teams have the potential for midfielders to go up front. Ours do not score many goals. It’s important."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ap-201520.html

And Indo saying something similar:

Keith Andrews is suspended for Kazakhstan so he is also allowed to miss this trip. McCarthy will deputise after telling Trapattoni he is ok to travel despite his father's ongoing health problems.

"Don't forget Darron Gibson," said Trap, an ironic comment considering the Everton man felt that he was completely overlooked by the Italian during the Euros, and nearly stormed out.

"I wish to try James," Trapattoni continued. "He can show us he is ready for an away game, because when the World Cup starts, we have an away game. We need to try our options and, after Serbia, we can decide who plays in Kazakhstan."

However, the discussion revolved around a straight swap for Andrews rather than a modification of formation and the inclusion of three central midfielders. Trapattoni reiterated his suspicion that Ireland don't have the players to suit the system, pointing out that McClean, Duff and Aiden McGeady are better served as wingers in a 4-4-2 because in a 4-3-3 they would have additional responsibility to score goals, and they don't have prolific track records in this department.

Yet in an apparent contradiction, he explained the omission of the creative Wes Hoolahan by stating that McCarthy is the same type of player so there was no point bringing them both in. A fleeting reference to Stephen Ireland was dismissed in similar terms. Confusing.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-3174890.html
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/07/2012 at 12:10 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Pilkington should have been selected. He is the player Lambert is trying to bring to Villa and was Norwich's best player all season. And Trapatooni should know this but I bet dosen't. Hoolahan has too many off games so no big surprise he has not been selected. I'm glad McCarthy is going to get a proper run out and not just a cameo for the media. But we still have a huge problem at left back and Brady should have been not only brought in but started against Serbia. The Italians brought a untried player to the Euros and played him at right back. Picking the usual suspects suggests we have no other players available when this is simply not the case.

24. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast