Thread: Duffer

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Duffer

http://www.fansfc.com/chelseafootbal...?newsid=130025

It has been reported throughout the summer that the Irishman is not amongst the players new coach Jose Mourinho considers vital to the club, with an exit a real possibility.

Yet despite alleged interest from Liverpool and Manchester United, the Republic of Ireland international insists he will fight to force his way into the Blues boss’ plans for the season.

''I love Chelsea to bits and although I have only been here for just over a year, I have fallen in love with the place,'' said Duff. ''As far as I am concerned, I'm going nowhere. I feel fine and am available for selection''

=====================

So Duff thinks he is OK to play but the boss doesn't?

He didn't even make the bench, mind you, Chelsea's performance
    was hardly awe inspiring, they were luck to win IMO.

It don't look too good for Duff especially when you consider Robben
    is injured and unavailable, makes Duff about 5th choice!!

I am sure we will hear more on this, the new Chelsea boss seems
    to think he is Brian Clough (God ).

I don't think Duff figures in Mourinho's plans but I doubt he will
    tell him that yet, just in case he needs him.

Anyway we will see, its difficult to predict Mourinho as he is obviously
    a bit of a nutter, on MOTD he said he is the only person in the world
    who knows anything about football (or words to that effect )

"People doesn't [sic] know about football, people think they know about
    football but they dont know much"

I also note that 5 minutes after Gary Doherty was brough on for
    Norwich they scored, the mere sight of the Doc appears to turn
    the opposition to jelly, as the same thing happened last week if
    I recall correctly ( IIRC ). I believe I mentioned in a earlier thread
    that the performance of Spurs was vastly improved whenever he
    started the game.

Incidently would anyone be able to provide stats for the Doc's
    performance when playing for Ireland, or point me to where I might
    be able to gather such information? Ie how he affected the
    result, there is a site which does this but for premireship teams only.

Maybe he is not called 'the Doc' for nothing? Or is it just a statistical
    quirk?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This guy Mourinho is a crap manager. I don't care what he has done.

Liverpool fans like myself will know how bad a manager Houllier was and he managed to win the UEFA cup and get us to the quarter finals of the CL, 5 minutes away from the semi's. Mourinho slightly exceeded that by winning the CL, but only when there was one group stage instead of two.

Mourinho also plays the same stlye of football (men behind the ball, no winger, 4 central midfielder accross the middle). This guy might have gotten lucky and won the Champions League with an average side but until he changes his style of play and embraces players like Duff, he will never win the premiership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mourinho is the man, if only for the unbeliveble arrogance he has in interviews, it's class to watch. Worrying situation for Duffer though, Mourinho picking Geremi and Smertin ahead of him is madness but it seems he prefrers stronger players to have a physical four in mid field rather than putting any flair in there, I hope Duff gets out of there if that's the case, Liverpool or Man U could do with him.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Duff on his day is up there with the most destructive offensive forces in the Premiership, and if Mourinho can't see that then the man is a fool - I don't care if he says I have no idea about football.

I used to quite like Chelsea but I'm hoping they get beaten into third place this year.

If Duff had to move, where would we like to see him go? Would he get many games ahead of Giggs at Man U? Liverpool will never win anything again, surely Duff's better than that?

Ade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianovic
    Would he get many games ahead of Giggs at Man U?
    Yes, Giggs isn't half the player he used to be and he's been pretty poor for the past few years to the point of being booed out of Old Trafford once. Duff is easily better than him now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I'd take anything that comes from the Fans FC website with a bucketload of salt. It's chock full of crap and dead-end stories that never come to anything. Read at your peril.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianovic
    Duff on his day is up there with the most destructive offensive forces in the Premiership, and if Mourinho can't see that then the man is a fool - I don't care if he says I have no idea about football.

I used to quite like Chelsea but I'm hoping they get beaten into third place this year.

If Duff had to move, where would we like to see him go? Would he get many games ahead of Giggs at Man U? Liverpool will never win anything again, surely Duff's better than that?

Ade
    I disagree with 2 of you points. Duff is 10 times the player Giggs ever was. Giggs is a "head down and run as fast as you can" kind of winger. Duff is a far more skillful player and a far better crosser of the ball.

And I believe that Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea this season. Benitez has brought in real quality in Alonso, Garcia and Cisse and Baros should do much better than he did under Houllier, but the main reason that Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea is their style of play. Chelsea will lose games to crap teams this season playing the way they are playing, I gaurentee that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    This guy might have gotten lucky and won the Champions League with an average side but until he changes his style of play and embraces players like Duff
    What about players like Deco, Derlei, Alenichev and Carlos Alberto? Where these not attacking players?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    I disagree with 2 of you points. Duff is 10 times the player Giggs ever was. Giggs is a "head down and run as fast as you can" kind of winger. Duff is a far more skillful player and a far better crosser of the ball.

And I believe that Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea this season. Benitez has brought in real quality in Alonso, Garcia and Cisse and Baros should do much better than he did under Houllier, but the main reason that Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea is their style of play. Chelsea will lose games to crap teams this season playing the way they are playing, I gaurentee that.
    This is complete nonsense, Duff at his best versus Giggs at his best results in Giggs being the winner by a clear head. Giggs is much more complete player than Duff.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not a chance, Giggs was getting booed in OT for his performances ffs. His crossing is awful and his dribbling isn't what it once was, he seems to have lost a bit of pace which explains it, probably due to his injuries. I would have Duff any day of the week over Giggs, easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Not a chance, Giggs was getting booed in OT for his performances ffs. His crossing is awful and his dribbling isn't what it once was, he seems to have lost a bit of pace which explains it, probably due to his injuries. I would have Duff any day of the week over Giggs, easily.
    i think mick's point was giggs at his best would be better than damien now

personally I'd still be happy to have giggs in my team. damn good player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, that's debatable alright, but Giggs hasn't been at his best in a while.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Giggs has successfully played up front and at left-back for Man Utd.

To be honest, I don't think you can compare the two untill about 8 years ago when both have finished their careers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes I was comparing Giggs then with Duff now, there is no comparing the influence Giggs has had and what he has achieved with what Duff has done so far, that will have to wait as brine 3 said until both have hung up their boots.

Duff really was outstanding in his last season with Blackburn but Giggs had really outsanding seasons as well in which he played a huge role in winning the league for ManU.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Giggs is a "head down and run as fast as you can" kind of winger.
    You could argue "Duff is a heads down shimmy lefy shimy right and run as fast as you can kind of winger" - is the end result any different?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

This guy Mourinho is a crap manager. I don't care what he has done.
    Care to share your criteria for rating managers of its not on how successful they are!?

Liverpool fans like myself will know how bad a manager Houllier was and he managed to win the UEFA cup and get us to the quarter finals of the CL, 5 minutes away from the semi's. Mourinho slightly exceeded that by winning the CL, but only when there was one group stage instead of two.
    How on earth does winning the CL "slightly exceed" getting to the QFs - didn't know L'pool fans now set their sights so low.

Mourinho also plays the same stlye of football (men behind the ball, no winger, 4 central midfielder accross the middle). This guy might have gotten lucky and won the Champions League with an average side but until he changes his style of play and embraces players like Duff, he will never win the premiership.
    You're the first person I've heard say that Porto were "luckly" to win the CL (or the UEFA cup for that matter). You've got a better crystal ball than the rest of us if you're so sure that Chelski won't win the league this year.

And you can all relax, Duffer will be getting his game soon. Just hope JM plays him up front.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    Just hope JM plays him up front.
    Why?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And I believe that Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea this season.
    Bet you got great odds on that. How much did you wager?
    Together with all our hearts.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Care to share your criteria for rating managers of its not on how successful they are!?
    Maybe how successful they are over a sustained period. Mourinho has not been around long enough to judge him on his level of success, I am judging him on his style of play and his buys, both of which I think are woeful.
    How on earth does winning the CL "slightly exceed" getting to the QFs - didn't know L'pool fans now set their sights so low.
    Liverpool played more games, in getting to the quarter finals than Porto did in winning the tournement. Liverpool were 5 minutes away from making the semis where they would have played Man U who they had beaten in their 5 previous meetings. I think you see what I mean. There is not actually that much between what Houllier achieved and what Mourinho achieved.
    You've got a better crystal ball than the rest of us if you're so sure that Chelski won't win the league this year.
    Arsenal will walk the championship this year, there squad and style of play is lightyears ahead of Chelsea
    And you can all relax, Duffer will be getting his game soon. Just hope JM plays him up front.
    I hope you are right on the first point but if he plays him up front everything I said about him being a crap manager is confirmed twice over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    That greedy b*****d abramovich must have money to burn if he can afford to shell out 17 million for someone who then plys his trade by warming the bench!! Waste of money and a waste of Duffs time
    Duff should have stayed at Blackburn. At least there he was guaranteed a first team place.
    It's mind bogling how Mourinho can play the likes of smertin instead of him
    With the arrival of Robben imminent, reckon a move to one of the other big three would be the best for him.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast