Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Duffer

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'll never understand this Duff upfront or on the wing debate. Not only is Duff one of the best and most dangerous wingers in the world today but he has never performed effectively upfront. When McCarthy used to play him with Keane upfront and Kilbane on the left, we had a brilliant winger playing in a position that doesn't suit him and an enthusiastic but poor winger on the wing. While McCarthy achieved a lot, I think that's his worst legacy, the notion that Duff can be played effectively up front. I've yet to witness the bloke have a good game up front. He eventually starts playing as a winger anyway, meaning that Robbie Keane is on his own, which doesn't suit him either. Honestly, how many reasons do you need to keep him on the wing where he nearly always impresses as opposed to putting him upfront where he nearly always disappoints and is eventually moved back to the wing? How many times did we see that in the World Cup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    “Damien was tired, he had just played two games for his country and had played every minute of both games with Ireland,” revealed Mourinho, as reported in the Star on Sunday.

“I went to Dublin on Saturday to watch him and I know he played the full game against Switzerland.

“It has been a hard week on our players away on international duty and it did affect us ahead of this game.

“But I can say that Damien Duff and Wayne Bridge will be selected on Tuesday night.”
    He's only on the bench apparently. ****ing hell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    I'll never understand this Duff upfront or on the wing debate. Not only is Duff one of the best and most dangerous wingers in the world today but he has never performed effectively upfront. When McCarthy used to play him with Keane upfront and Kilbane on the left, we had a brilliant winger playing in a position that doesn't suit him and an enthusiastic but poor winger on the wing. While McCarthy achieved a lot, I think that's his worst legacy, the notion that Duff can be played effectively up front. I've yet to witness the bloke have a good game up front. He eventually starts playing as a winger anyway, meaning that Robbie Keane is on his own, which doesn't suit him either. Honestly, how many reasons do you need to keep him on the wing where he nearly always impresses as opposed to putting him upfront where he nearly always disappoints and is eventually moved back to the wing? How many times did we see that in the World Cup?
    To be fair, he played 80% of his time at the World cup up front and he was one of the players of the tournament while his strike partner was our top scorer.

I can't believe he only played 10 bloody minutes tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    To be fair, he played 80% of his time at the World cup up front and he was one of the players of the tournament while his strike partner was our top scorer.

Well, given our Celtic connection, you and I both know Mourinho to be a duplicitous c***. I can't say I'm surprised at the way he's treated DD. It's about time Duffer got away from Chelsea, even if (and it smacks of frying pan-to-fire here) it means going on loan to the beast's hordes at Newcastle.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Duffer can't go anywhere until January now - apparently he did well in the 10 minutes but Cole had a superb game as well so will likely start on Sunday. Hard to see Jose playing both of them. While Duffer is clearly a far better player he needs a chance to prove it.

Robben is out for at least another 3 weeks so Duffer should get to play some football before Paris. We need him match fit for that one.

Beanie
    Duff got to play in the 81 st minute last nite against PSG, for a player of his calibre and class this is simply not acceptable especially when players like the average joe Cole and Journey men like smertin and geremi are selected ahead of him, and Robben to come back into the squad!!!, it seems attacking wingers are not to Mourinho's liking, he wants something more continential yet the Chelsea fans are constantly bemoaning the lack of pace and attacking flair of this chelsea side.. January window would be my advise if i was Pat Devlin, Man Utd to replace Giggs or Newcastle bound for a Souness reunion, they seemed to have a good understanding

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it's a disgrace DD cant get a game at chelsea ahead of the likes of joe cole. That portuguese ***** has a personal problem with duffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He only played well when switched to the left and his strike partner got the majority of his goals with Duff on the left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    He only played well when switched to the left
    Everyone from around the world were raving about him. I don't think it just because of his performances on the left. He also got into the UEFA team of the year for 2002.

I wouldn't play him up front but its ridiculous to say he never had a good performance in that position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Everyone from around the world were raving about him. I don't think it just because of his performances on the left. He also got into the UEFA team of the year for 2002.

I wouldn't play him up front but its ridiculous to say he never had a good performance in that position.
    Everyone raved about his performances on the wing. Even the world cup report Fifa published said playing him up front was madness and he was isolated until he moved to the left. His partnership with Keane, goalswise, is pathetic really. I can't think of a single performance he's had up front where he's come close to what he's capable of doing on the left, including the world cup where he was poor, and Ireland were poor, until he was moved to the wing. Which is why we kept starting games poorly before eventually coming back into them, like Cameroon, Germany and Spain, even Saudi Arabia you could say we were shocking in the first half.

And did he not get on the UEFA team of the year...on the left wing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has Duff ever played up front with someone other than Keane, when Keane wasn’t available? I’d be interested to see that. The trouble with them as a partnership is that both of them spend too long out of the box and we end up with no one in the middle to put the ball away.

What was the point of Mourinho going to the Cyprus game? Duff played well enough to show he’s fit and on form. Assuming he really had an intention to consider Duff I don’t see what more Duff could have done. There wasn’t anything to prompt him dropping Duff from the squad. And despite the toothless Chelsea display on Saturday Mourinho still persists with second-rate Cole. He must really have a problem with Duff as I’d rather Kilbane to Joe Cole, at least Kilbane he has spirit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    Duff got to play in the 81 st minute last nite against PSG, for a player of his calibre and class this is simply not acceptable especially when players like the average joe Cole and Journey men like smertin and geremi are selected ahead of him, and Robben to come back into the squad!!!, it seems attacking wingers are not to Mourinho's liking, he wants something more continential yet the Chelsea fans are constantly bemoaning the lack of pace and attacking flair of this chelsea side.. January window would be my advise if i was Pat Devlin, Man Utd to replace Giggs or Newcastle bound for a Souness reunion, they seemed to have a good understanding
    Agree with you there...
    He's not in chelsea plans....fullstop!!
    A spell on loan at Newcastle would do him good.
    Going on media speculation.....there could be 5 irish lining out in January, with reid also being targeted by souey
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlest Hobo
    Agree with you there...
    He's not in chelsea plans....fullstop!!
    A spell on loan at Newcastle would do him good.
    Going on media speculation.....there could be 5 irish lining out in January, with reid also being targeted by souey
    Mourinho taking the time to come over to Dublin shows that Duffer is in his plans. You guys have to got to accept that Duffer is now at a big club with one of the best squads in Europe. He's going to have to play out of his skin to get a game regularly but I for one am pretty sure he will and that's going to be of benefit to him and to the national team.
    Going to Newcastle would be a backward step in his career. Remember also that Souness doesn't have the best reputation for dealing with Irish players.
    Going to Many Yoo would be worse as DD will then be picking up injuries on the eve of every Ireland game.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    Mourinho taking the time to come over to Dublin shows that Duffer is in his plans. You guys have to got to accept that Duffer is now at a big club with one of the best squads in Europe. He's going to have to play out of his skin to get a game regularly but I for one am pretty sure he will and that's going to be of benefit to him and to the national team.
    Going to Newcastle would be a backward step in his career. Remember also that Souness doesn't have the best reputation for dealing with Irish players.
    Going to Many Yoo would be worse as DD will then be picking up injuries on the eve of every Ireland game.
    Regular football with the toons, is better than warming the chelsea bench.
    I'm all for duff playing against the best in the CL, but he'll always be a bit player under Mourinho.

On a different note....I would like to see robbie keane move to Celtic. Hartson and camara were awfull last night. He would be a good partner for sutton
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlest Hobo
    On a different note....I would like to see robbie keane move to Celtic. Hartson and camara were awfull last night. He would be a good partner for sutton
    i though camara played well, he set up the goal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    Its amazing that you can go onto the Chelsea message board, slag off 3 of their players and they still agree with you. The Chelsea fans bloody love Duff.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 15/09/2004 at 1:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    You guys have to got to accept that Duffer is now at a big club with one of the best squads in Europe. He's going to have to play out of his skin to get a game regularly
    You mean like Joe Cole? I'm not entirely sure how or when Cole did enough to warrant a chance in the first team but Mourinho seems to love him! Sure Duff's been injured but he deserves more than 9 minutes, especially after Saturday's result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    [QUOTE=eirebhoy]i though camara played well, he set up the goal too.

Agreed.......the lad played his heart out, and set up a good goal. But Celtic need a striker with a proven scoring record. With larson gone, theres only sutton capable of firing them in now.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I remember correctly - and it was two years ago so I'm open to correction - but the only time that he was truly effective in the World Cup was when operating from the wings, against Cameroon, Germany and Spain. When he's up front waiting for the ball, he's useless and one of the brightest talents in world football is being snuffed out. In the end, he always ends up coming back to the wings anyway which leaves Robbie up front on his own which neither suits him or our style of play. He was indeed one of the players of the tournament, largely on the basis of his brilliant game against Spain when he was moved to the wings. I honestly just cannot comprehend this notion that Irish supporters and managers have that he can do a job up front. I don't think that Rainieri ever used him up front. Again, I'm not sure about this one as I find watching Abrahmovic's Chelsea surreal and don't do it often and Rainier had more options up front than we ever will but he's always been more effective from the wings. I'm waiting for one example where he's been used to great effect as a striker. I don't think you're suggesting this anyway Eirebhoy, not taking a dig at you, just very frustrated that this continues to come up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    I honestly just cannot comprehend this notion that Irish supporters and managers have that he can do a job up front.
    I don't think you'll find anyone on here that would play Duff up front and certainly not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think you'll find anyone on here that would play Duff up front and certainly not me.
    Unfortunately in the "What XI would you pick" threads a worrying amount do seem to want to put Duffer up front. I think Morrisons two goals though will help change that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast