Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tension Lennox/Dolan...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tension Lennox/Dolan...

There seems to be a bit of tension between Brian Lennox and Pat Dolan looking at recent comments that both have made.Everyone knows Brian Lennox's expectation for the club this season.His comments in last nights programme were fairly strong.He said "It seems we will have to go back to the drawing board in regards to our perception in how good we are.I think its time to review our ideals with respect our playing staff and coaching staff ".You can read those comments and more on last nights programme or tonights Echo.Pat Dolan when asked his comments after the match said "I look at Roddy Collins and look at the players he has brought in and its nice to get the cheque book out and spend money.Its nice to do that and bring ready made players to the club ".These are clearly meant to be seen by each other.Do they both have a point?...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes it is an interesting comment from both but I don't think there is much to it. Dolan's practice of testing out new talent worked very much in our favour when Liam Kearney joined City. Can't see Lennox having a problem buying in a new pair of boots, especially after the Inter-Toto windfall . . .
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    Can't see Lennox having a problem buying in a new pair of boots, especially after the Inter-Toto windfall . . .

Intertoto loss you mean.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    especially after the Inter-Toto windfall . . .
    Even if there was a windfall, City wont see a penny of it until all Euro competitions are finished this season, ie after the CL final.

I think both have a point. City really need to start buying players, rather than picking up a few fellas whose contracts are expiring. I mean, look at it, James Mulligan was the last player a fee was paid for!!!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

GavinZac
    and before that pat morley and before that mark herrick. we dont buy players. its because if we have to buy a player it usally means hes in the first team of the other team. its very hard to sign any player from the first team of a dublin side because they are a) successful and b) living in dublin.

muligan came from harps, herrick from galway.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We also paid money for Devine which I think is the club record (don't know how much).

I think that Pat has improved the quality of the squad massively from when he took over and remember that most of the players are still under 24. Are we expecting too much from young players. I think that all this talk has started because we are so disapointed because we can see the potential of the squad and we know what they could achieve, but nobody in Cork is willing to wait the extra year to see it happen. We always seem to think that if there is apossibility, then it must happen or your out.
    I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen - Mr Parker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Dolan has done a superb job in bringing in new talent to the Club.
    Just look at Fenn, Doyler, Murphy, Kearney ( and hopefully S O'Flynn ).

I wouldn't read anything inot the comments - just both people wanting success for the club.
    Irish by birth,
    Cork by the grace of God.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by City Hero
    I think that all this talk has started because we are so disapointed because we can see the potential of the squad and we know what they could achieve, but nobody in Cork is willing to wait the extra year to see it happen. We always seem to think that if there is apossibility, then it must happen or your out.
    Personally speaking, I'm disappointed that we appear to be stagnant if not going backward on the pitch at the moment. Maintaining or improving on last years third place is looking more difficult with each passing game - yet the three year plan has us winning the league next year.

At a minimum, regardless of age or quality, a City team should show heart and determination on the pitch. Dolan talks alot about passion, but it's been missing a few times this year.

thecorner
    i wonder how long it will take to so we should now go after dave hill who has parted company with queenstown

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storysham
    Intertoto loss you mean.
    I have seen several posts in this forum quoting amounts from €60,000 to €100,000 which the club will receive following the run in the I-T Cup. Nobody on this forum disputed this so far. Is there a suggestion now that we will end up losing money???

GavinZac
    I have seen several posts in this forum quoting amounts from €60,000 to €100,000 which the club will receive following the run in the I-T Cup. Nobody on this forum disputed this so far. Is there a suggestion now that we will end up losing money???
    no, myself and tiktok discussed this and in the end we'll make about €100,000 net, the gates will have paid for the trip and we'll get the prize money in january

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    AFAIK the club broke even with the two sellouts ( Njimegen and Nantes ) against the cost of the away games. That leaves the Malmo home game profits and prize money of €85,000.

We have lost out on monies that good runs in the cups could have produced tho.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I estimate 200k from gate receipts & probably 150k travel money which leaves maybe 50k + 100k prize money so would be 150k then. All extra money is good but not gonna fund the club for years to come.

I saw the comments on the official site & must say good to see Brian Lennox being so forthright.

I think Dolan has brought in good players (Fenn, Murphy & Doyler) whereas Gamble is unproven. I think we probably only 2 top quality strong players away from league challenger. Hopefully Lennoxs comments are an indication that he sees that too.

Home Farm are being funded from the pockets of a couple of sugardaddys or something like that & won't be abl to maintain that in the long term.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS
    Personally speaking, I'm disappointed that we appear to be stagnant if not going backward on the pitch at the moment. Maintaining or improving on last years third place is looking more difficult with each passing game - yet the three year plan has us winning the league next year.

At a minimum, regardless of age or quality, a City team should show heart and determination on the pitch. Dolan talks alot about passion, but it's been missing a few times this year.
    i think dolan for all his guff will get another season after this. if things don't measure up after that he could be in trouble a fact which i find very dissapointing. i mean we have a great chairman,the best manager (at the time anyway) and on paper a excellant squad yet here we are talking about rebuilding for the future time and time again.

then again some of the tits here think we are going great guns, george is the messiah and that all the fans go home chuffed after a one all draw with homefarmfingalevertondublincity and the main thing is that "it was a great game of football". get a life

my question: what made dolan manage/oversee a excellant pat's team to a couple of league titles but is unable to do it for cork city?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal
    i think dolan for all his guff will get another season after this. if things don't measure up after that he could be in trouble a fact which i find very dissapointing. i mean we have a great chairman,the best manager (at the time anyway) and on paper a excellant squad yet here we are talking about rebuilding for the future time and time again.

then again some of the tits here think we are going great guns, george is the messiah and that all the fans go home chuffed after a one all draw with homefarmfingalevertondublincity and the main thing is that "it was a great game of football". get a life

my question: what made dolan manage/oversee a excellant pat's team to a couple of league titles but is unable to do it for cork city?
    SHELBOURNE
    they seem to have more dosh to splash arouund on quality players.
    First Division Champions

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    . . . . all the fans go home chuffed after a one all draw with homefarmfingalevertondublincity and the main thing is that "it was a great game of football". get a life
    No matter how disappointing the result, at least we can appreciate the entertainment value of a game like Cork City v Dublin City last Friday. Why make snide remarks about that? If games are not good now and again, would there be enough people willing to attend week in week out and help pay the players' wages?
    Cathal, you need a reality check.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    No matter how disappointing the result, at least we can appreciate the entertainment value of a game like Cork City v Dublin City last Friday. Why make snide remarks about that?
    Because it may have been a decent game for the neutral but I can tell you that I got absolutely no enjoyment in the worst team in our league playing us off the park at times the other night.
    If we won 1-0 every week playing crap football i'd take it.
    Success at any cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Unless you're counting the registration season, which I didn't think anyone outside Inchicore does, Dolan managed us to one title (1998). Liam Buckley was in charge in 1999. How did Dolan do it? Spend, spend, spend and, in fairness to him, a lot of the motivational stuff that he's good at (or was anyway, maybe the record has got a bit worn in the meantime). Not a lot of tactical finesse though - aim for Gilzean to knock it down to Molloy, bang bang bang.

Compare Cork '04 to Pats '98:
    Keeper - Devine v Trevor Wood - about even
    Defence - About even, Pats '98 maybe shading it
    Attack - O'Flynn & Fenn / O'Callaghan v Gilzean & Molloy - you're far better off
    The crucial difference is in midfield - youse don't have Eddie Gormley and Paul Osam
    Last edited by Dr.Nightdub; 23/08/2004 at 9:57 PM.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    You're spot on Dr.N but to be honest I think you've left out an important factor. All (Set Piece Athletic) joking aside you were very well drilled when it came to set-pieces, both attacking and defending them.

If you look at the side you had in '98 and compare it to ours, along with the obvious difference in midfield, you had height right through the field, we've scored only a handful of goals from corners and frees while we've given a load away to set-pieces, penalties included.

Gilzean was a pr!ck with elbows flying, who basically gouged, tugged and dragged his way about, but to his credit he won the vast majority of ball played into him, we don't have a single player who imposes themselves in that way anywhere in our squad.

...not since Reynolds left anyway
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No matter how disappointing the result, at least we can appreciate the entertainment value of a game like Cork City v Dublin City last Friday. Why make snide remarks about that? If games are not good now and again, would there be enough people willing to attend week in week out and help pay the players' wages?
    Cathal, you need a reality check.
    why do you support city? i support them in the hope they will win the league and or cup. how can a one all draw against the *******isedbowlerdised team that is dublin city be a good thing.

if want fine art go to the louvre prado or the tate.
    Last edited by cathal; 24/08/2004 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast