Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irish Independent Articles

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I was more talking about the fact Sean south isn't a limerick fan so won't be at the game. Was a bit of a running joke there about 2 weeks ago with people thinking he was a limerick fan so he changed his avatar.

On the board being out and about on march day. I must while they don't come up to every fan etc... But you will always see them going around the ground. Michael O Sullivan, Pat O Sullivan and Kieran Judge can always be seen knocking about jackman an usually when they have the time they are talking to the fans etc... Pat even watches the games on the hill in jackman in amongst everyone instead of up above the dressing rooms where he could go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I was more talking about the fact Sean south isn't a limerick fan so won't be at the game. Was a bit of a running joke there about 2 weeks ago with people thinking he was a limerick fan so he changed his avatar.

On the board being out and about on march day. I must while they don't come up to every fan etc... But you will always see them going around the ground. Michael O Sullivan, Pat O Sullivan and Kieran Judge can always be seen knocking about jackman an usually when they have the time they are talking to the fans etc... Pat even watches the games on the hill in jackman in amongst everyone instead of up above the dressing rooms where he could go.
    Or where sometimes you wish he would go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Sean South.

Geezer, you're an absolute beaut, our board are accessible to the point where I'd safely say everyone in the ground knows who they are and that they can stop and chat to them. Thanks a million for the offer but you're grand.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

i was just

wondering how it took so long to retort smugly. If everything is perfect at Limerick thats great congratulations.
    I have seen two of the men you mention in action and they are fantastic lads & gentlemen.

Best of luck

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Liam Kelly destroys any good points in his article with 2 grievous errors. 1. It's Premier Division, not League. 2. Roddy is incapable of working within any defined structure on a consistent basis, he knows this.

David Kelly, as a lifelong Pats fan (as well as rugby fan), is speaking from deep knowledge of the LOI. Though the common thread of his article is negative.

It's great that the Indo deems the LOI worthy of 2 articles that explore the wants and needs. Debate and discussion can only, at least, lead to some sort of progress. Though from the tone of both articles, they're having a go at 1 man and this continues their disgraceful tradition of character assassination in the lowest and most vile British tabloid form. Whatever good they generate from points made, it is facetious, they have their editorial orders - Trap out, Delaney out - and are thinly disguising it as concern for the LOI.
    Very well said. I think the points he made are generally good - but tempered by the usual slurs. He also threw in a dig at the Irish fans too btw.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    I was rooting through old programmes earlier and found this interesting piece by the Irish Independent's Noel Dunne in the Ireland v Northern Ireland programme from October 1989. It's funny/depressing/thought-provoking to read now. Bear in mind the last line was pre-Sky HD 3D Super Sundays.

Support Local Soccer

Almost two years have passed since the never to be forgotten intervention of a Scot thrust the Republic of Ireland truly into the European spotlight for the first time. And the squad certainly did not let us down in West Germany. They proved they had the right – which some doubted – to be there.

Even after that however there were many, at home and abroad, who said the Irish honeymoon could not continue. That they would be 'found out' in the World Cup preliminaries. Well, now the Republic is on the brink again. Not on the edge of disaster as was the tradition over so many agonising years, but on the verge of going to the finals in Italy.

And if they succeed – even now there must be that qualification to the most cautious, a body which includes Jack Charlton – will any benefits accrue to the game on the domestic scene?

In one aspect, if one is to judge by the aftermath of the European Championships, the answer would appear to be in the negative. Certainly in the following League of Ireland season the fans did not exactly come swarming back to the terraces.

Indeed there is much that remains to be done in the local arenas. But there is a lot of good there too. And many of the fans (you?) who are most caustic of the standard of football here will admit, nay, even seem to take some pride in saying that they have not attended a match in their locality for years.

So, again with that 'if', will World Cup qualification make any difference to the health of the game at home? Surely it must. After West Germany the benefits were felt perhaps mostly behind the scenes. Much-needed revenue became available which enabled, for instance the formation of a Development Comittee to decide how best to foster the game at every level.

And though Milltown is gone – like the loss of Flower Lodge a disgrace which will not be forgotten – Dalymount, where panic flags were raised in supplication, Tolka Park and United Park in Drogheda, all under threat, were saved.

Also very welcome was the new joint FAS/F.A.I. League Apprenticeship Programme evolved to eradicate the exploitation of young players. The number of clubs around the country continues to grow, as, apparently does the number of coaches involved. Neither of which is necessarily all for the best. Coaching should nurture and educate at younger levels, not risk stifling budding talent by 'blackboard' thinking.

However, getting off that hobby-horse of mine, there remains the not inconsiderable tourism benefit which would accrue if we go to and travel well, in Italy.

We will never know to what extent but the Republic did reap some reward in this phase from the Irish exploits in West Germany. And that was due in no small way to you lot, our wonderfully-behaved ambassadors abroad.

Keep up the good work in Italy, but in the meantime why not take in a League of Ireland game or two. It would help the players to play in a better 'atmosphere'. And also act as a spur to those clubs who have not really got their act together to do so.

Try it sometime. It does make a change from the glossy, hyped-up TV productions.
    Last edited by bluemovie; 14/07/2012 at 5:21 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12