Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derry to go full-time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Derry to go full-time

http://www.derrycityfc.net/html/modu...rder=0&thold=0

Derry City boss Stephen Kenny will welcome in a new era. Derry City are to go full time with the hopes of turning the Brandywell club into a fully professional outfit.

Chairman Jim Roddy confirmed that the club are determined to make a real go of turning the club around to match those at the top.

''It's going to take a lot of hard work,'' said Roddy. ''It's also going to take an awful lot of money as well.

''It's up to the board and up to people around the club to go out and work and make this dream become a reality.''

Roddy also stressed that while money is obviously a stumblnig block it is not beyond their scope.

''Somebody asked a few years ago whether we could keep Derry City going, we'll we kept it going.

''Now we are prepared to work our socks off to make sure that we can bring Derry up to the same level that Shelbourne are at now.''

----------------

the more full-time clubs the better it is for the league so this is good news, hopefully they can support a full-time team, if they can they should start climbing up the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    hopefully they can support a full-time team, if they can they should start climbing up the table.
    I'd say we can, though it will be tough. If we can get the Brandy sorted, and rumours our we're being sold it by the Council, we could definitely afford it. Plan would be to have a bar there, and maybe a few other businesses. Plus, we would receive rent from the Derry & District League (who use the pitches at Brandy) and the doggie men.
    It's something all clubs should aim for, the more the better.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If derry got the brandywell they would have dog racing rent/gate all year round and home gates during the season not even shels could manage that
    Plastic Paddy, Davros, A Face,
    excuse my first 25 posts, thats not what I'm really
    like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

This is great news ..... the fan base is there, and with a bit of sucess the money will be there aswell. Great to see moves like this.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think reality has finally knocked on our door, I remember going along to the Brandywell thinking I wonder how many goals we will win by today. Those days ended with the likes of $hels and Bohs going full time. No team can expect to compete with full time proffesional clubs. Its up to the people and fans from the City to ensure we can achieve this goal. Its the only way.

Gate receipts are only a margin of revenue these days, clubs need to look at other sources of income. Our first goal has to be a social club/bar.

I hope im alive to see all premier Irish clubs full time. (After all they get paid more than the average working man as part-timers)
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    i heard something during the week and it startled me- is derry citys population that big? 194,000? the more teams that go full time the better for everyone before!

question for the derry lads, when derry were excellent in the late 80s and mid 90s, were they completely full time?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Population

Martinho,

Like a lot of things in the city, the population of Derry's a bit contentious. There's 110,000-115,000 people in the City, although the last census only recorded short of 100,000.

The discrepancy is a hangover from the troubles when Catholics were urged not to complete the census forms. As a result, it's believed a sizeable number of people still don't return them.

Using data on school numbers, employment/unemployment stats, doctor's registrations etc etc, local economists and the Derry Journal have put the population at about 110,000, which feels right. The City is growing fast, but we're miles off the 190,000 mark.

As for the 80's-90's, the team was a mixture of pros and nons. We began with a team of primarily amateurs and the odd pro. As the size of support became apparent we switched almost entirely to full-timers, some of whom were on bloody good wages (Owen DaGama, Alex Krstic). Whilst the decadence of the early 90's had all but disappeared by the time we won the league in '97, the club was still living beyond it's means so shortly afterwards had to move away from full-timers (with the very odd exception, like David Kelly). We haven't been financially secure, or indeed confident, enough to go back since.

Thankfully a new day is dawning on Foyleside......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Great news - best of luck. Definitely the support base is there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve

As the size of support became apparent we switched almost entirely to full-timers, some of whom were on bloody good wages (Owen DaGama, Alex Krstic).
    Some Derry players were earning £400 sterling a week in 1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Just a word of caution from a Pats fan. There are no guarantees with trying to go full time, and if it goes wrong, it goes horribly, messily wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. .

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Just a word of caution from a Pats fan. There are no guarantees with trying to go full time, and if it goes wrong, it goes horribly, messily wrong.
    I dunno .... i think it is different in Derry (outside Dublin) .... there is a population to support it. And it wont back fire as fast as it would in Dublin, (just my opinion) .... Caution is healthy obviously but it aint that much of a risk if you are informed and make education decisions.

I would rather that Derry buy their ground or go professional and then buy their ground or go professional ..... if you know what i mean. Dont do it all on the one go. That would be my only concern really.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    I dunno .... i think it is different in Derry (outside Dublin) .... there is a population to support it. And it wont back fire as fast as it would in Dublin, (just my opinion) .... Caution is healthy obviously but it aint that much of a risk if you are informed and make education decisions.

I would rather that Derry buy their ground or go professional and then buy their ground or go professional ..... if you know what i mean. Dont do it all on the one go. That would be my only concern really.
    If the Council go ahead with the sale it will only be for a small nominal fee provided we guarantee we let the Greyhounds and Derry & District use the facility.

Im led to believe prominent Derry business men are going to get involved with the club very soon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope it works out. The presence of strong teams outside of Dublin is critical if we are to ever see the league develop into something that can attract serious national interest. Doesn't matter how many titles Shels win, they still have relatively few fans. A successful Derry team would be good for the league (as long as Cork City still finish above them ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corkharps
    JEALOUSY !

Your clubs lack of success and ambition must be hard to stomach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamon
    I hope it works out. The presence of strong teams outside of Dublin is critical if we are to ever see the league develop into something that can attract serious national interest. Doesn't matter how many titles Shels win, they still have relatively few fans. A successful Derry team would be good for the league (as long as Cork City still finish above them ).

Totally agree.........A Good Cork and Derry team is essential in this league, both teams have huge support potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    [QUOTE=dortie]If the Council go ahead with the sale it will only be for a small nominal fee provided we guarantee we let the Greyhounds and Derry & District use the facility.

Other clubs have to work hard to own their own grounds,we can't rely on handouts from the British Government!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    [QUOTE=corkharps]
    Quote Originally Posted by dortie
    If the Council go ahead with the sale it will only be for a small nominal fee provided we guarantee we let the Greyhounds and Derry & District use the facility.

Other clubs have to work hard to own their own grounds,we can't rely on handouts from the British Government!
    Yes, but we dont have to put up with the british government either - understand?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Sure, wasn't everything in Ireland owned by the British until they handed it back 73 years ago - even the sorry piece of bogland that became Finn Park

Anyways - Harps have been signing Derry rejects ever since we were forced out of the Irish League. What's it like to be scavaging for the cast-offs from those who might get a British handout... ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Sure, wasn't everything in Ireland owned by the British until they handed it back 73 years ago - even the sorry piece of bogland that became Finn Park

Anyways - Harps have been signing Derry rejects ever since we were forced out of the Irish League. What's it like to be scavaging for the cast-offs from those who might get a British handout... ?
    I think it is six Harps employees( at last count) that have turned down moves to Derry this season so far.Does that tell you anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast