Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas72 View Post
    Derby to make a €30,000 bid

SOurce the sun
    He wont be going anywhere then

Doesnt he only have this season left on his contract?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I don't know to be honest would be a big loss but he couldn't turn down a chance like that. WE have excellent cover we should be ok

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Have no idea if this is legit or not and the player should be consulted in the process. 30k is nothing to Derby County or any other english club for a player, our league needs to stop giving players away to England for peanuts. We should have an unwritten agreement between the clubs that not even the slightest player goes over there for less than say 75k plus percent of future sales.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Then they'll just get nothing when the players are out of contract. As long as 99% of contracts are no longer than a year, there will be very little clubs can do to command fees for players. At least this way the clubs can try and insist on sell-on clauses.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    1 year contracts are a problem for us and we need to try and sign longer ones for this reason. Yes, if Gaffney were to go in January he would cost zero to the buyer and Limerick get nothing. But the buyer might not be Derby County.......are DC ok with that? That's got to be worth more than 30k to them. We have to start selling players based on what the buyer might pay rather than the mean few bob we would bite their arm off for. Our clubs need to talk and come up with a strategy though rather than each working in isolation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Good news,people on the ball re cover and also spot on re;fee,i would sooner let him go for 0 than be bullied because of a one year deal.
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail--R.keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Do DC not realize, that Limerick really don't need cash as badly as most LOI teams, that bid should be laughed away, you should be asking for 100k with lots of add ons or they can feck off and fight it out for him and probably lose him at seasons end.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Do DC not realize, that Limerick really don't need cash as badly as most LOI teams, that bid should be laughed away, you should be asking for 100k with lots of add ons or they can feck off and fight it out for him and probably lose him at seasons end.
    That is actually true enough. Now no LOI club can turn their noses up at cash but there is no way we should be just letting a player go for relative pittance if we are in a decent position to negotiate. I would think Mervue would be getting a large (if not the largest) chunk of the 30,000.

It was also in the paper last week that Ipswich were over watching someone else and were impressed by Gaffney so went to watch him again instead. He is definitely attracting interest.

I'm just surprised no one has been looking at O'Leary or at least there has been no mention of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Missing a nought there to stoke any interest tbh.

Just paper talk.

International Prospect abbeyvale's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    100k for a player playing in Div1 of LOI, will you stop for God's sake...............he isnt even worth the 30k.............I'd take the 30k (& maybe an agreement of a future sell on clause) and run
    68, 99, 08

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyvale View Post
    100k for a player playing in Div1 of LOI, will you stop for God's sake...............he isnt even worth the 30k.............I'd take the 30k (& maybe an agreement of a future sell on clause) and run
    We aren't exactly stuck for 30,000 at the moment and Gaffney is currently one of our best best players. Is 30,000 worth losing him? What division he is in doesn't make a difference. Do you think Cork let Graham Cummins go for 30,000? 30,000 is nothing to a team like Derby either.

Its all only paper talk at the moment anyway.

International Prospect abbeyvale's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    We aren't exactly stuck for 30,000 at the moment and Gaffney is currently one of our best best players. Is 30,000 worth losing him? What division he is in doesn't make a difference. Do you think Cork let Graham Cummins go for 30,000? 30,000 is nothing to a team like Derby either.

Its all only paper talk at the moment anyway.
    My point is, that regardless of the selling or buying clubs situations, there is NO player in Div1 of LOI worth anywhere near 100k, Gaffney is good, but not great, and Limerick have more than enough cover for him, I'd take whats offered (30k or more), agree a sell on clause, and move on.
    68, 99, 08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Thats why you should be kept away from the negotiation table then!

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyvale View Post
    My point is, that regardless of the selling or buying clubs situations, there is NO player in Div1 of LOI worth anywhere near 100k, Gaffney is good, but not great, and Limerick have more than enough cover for him, I'd take whats offered (30k or more), agree a sell on clause, and move on.
    Hypothetically (if it wasnt paper talk) I would say keeping one of our key players to the end of the season to ensure promotion is worth a lot more to Pat O'Sullivan than making a quick buck that he probably doesnt need, I mean whats 30k compared to how much he has already put in to our promotion push. It just wouldnt make ANY sense. If you exclude Wexfords freak result v Waterford on opening day, Gaffney and Behan are joint top scorers in the division, with most of their scoring only coming relatively recently - he's a bit more valuable to our season than to simply say we have cover for him.

I'd like to see him play at least one season in the premier with us, I'm sure he'd get a lot more interest from overseas then.
    LTID