Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brian mcgovern asks for transfer

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

brian mcgovern asks for transfer

according to paper last night he realisises he has no future at town and has asked to be put on transfer list.pity really as i thought he was about to battle back into the team.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmmm

When he was good....................but I dont think he did it for us this season and with the likes of Gartland and the team now finaly starting to pick up points Im more confident without him to be honest. Thanks for the effort ast season, sorry it didnt work out but I have to eat my words from before the UEFA match and say that I thik Mathews was right we are better without him this season

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    When he and Alan Mathews sat down to work out their problems Mathews said to him that he had to be willing to play i the Under 21's to prove his fitness and attitude was right, he initially said no problem and that he was willing to do whatever it took, so he played two games and then when he was asked to play last night in the Under 21s along with Paul Keegan and Pip Keogh,Mick Dempsey played too, he refused and demanded a transfer, the others had absolutely no problem playing in the game and enjoyed the match but McGovern felt he was above all that. Pity but Alan seemingly asked his senior squad members what did they think and they felt the squad was better off without him
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian
    play last night in the Under 21s along with Paul Keegan

under 21s ?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah Keegan was thrown in as a ringer, the club reckoned his youthful looks would let him get away with it! Played very well to give him credit.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    well, sorry brian but your contracted to our club to play football, that means any level the manager thinks.....bye bye......i feel very let down by this player and now can't wait to see the back of him.

garto is now the choice, great performances since he came back and if he can keep the head, he is a great addition to the back four.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    spot on there Max. I feel Gartland and formerly Francis have shown a professionalism to be in tip top condition once the a call is made to come in and do a job. Gartland has been used sparingly but when he came in you'd feel he was never out. Vinny is the same. five or six games on the sidelines and he's bursting to get out and prove he's up to the first 11. That's what you need in the wings. Those sort that keep plugging away at training and take their chances with two hands. In this regard, McGovern isn't obviously the sort of player who we need, personal differences aside.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I do not believe a word of this crap about McGovern, as Matthews invariably puts his own twist on things to cover his own ass. I have previously stated that I deeply regreted the bad spin being put about by bthe committee in relation to McGovern. Perhaps those players looking for his place on the team are happy to see him go, but I know for a fact that that not all the players subscribe to that view.
    Next thing we will hear no doubt is that Francis was'nt an asset.

A lot of ye have short memories in relation to McGovern's contribution to the Town since he came. In addition I think it is a bit early to think that we have adequate cover in central defence just because Graham played well against Pats. Both he and Fergusion have a reputation (justly and verified by their records) for ill discipline resulting in sending offs and suspensions. Paisley as we all know is injury prone, yet ye are all happy to get rid of a quality player because he dos'nt want to play U 21 football.

By the way Longfordian, any truth in the rumour that Alan Matthews has been trying to have Leo Devlin and Denis O'Brien replaced as team managers for the same U21 team? I heard he wants to bring in a nominee of his own.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    xlex sean was/is a real pro, the only bad points i seen this season was his first touch and his pace....the legs are starting to go.

the decision to leave was sean's remember that and his wishes were respected by the club, ya don't want a player who doesn't want to be there and their is no point in keeping him there if he wasn't gonna get first team football as he wanted, we lowered our wage bill and sean got a new club. Football wise not great for us as we lost a great player, but economicaly speaking a good decision if we can bring in a younger replacement as sean was almost 33 after all.

onto brian, impressed me greatly last season, ego swelled somewhat over the winter and this season he wasn't a patch playing wise on last year.

remember this was the man of the match in the cup final, not francis.....

he has played a number of games in the first division and played for arsenal in the premiership, BUT there comes a time that no matter who a player is ( except vinny ) if they cause trouble they go, the team is more important and garto is well up to the job.

we have dillon, paisley, baz and garto for the centre back positions, not to mention that keegan played there pre season and was impressive.

so once again bringing it down to economics, 5 players for 2 positions.....make sense to let him go if he wishes to.

i want rid of him because WE pay his wages to play for us and he refused, he broke is contract if you want to go down that road and should be turfed out on his ear in my view.

go back to the comment he made in the dressing room about playing when only 85% fit....he complained about it and Vinny said to him " i'd play with a broken leg once i was in the team" to which mcgovern replied " ah but you don't have your career to worry about ".....

i'd rather have 11 vinny's in my team, then one player with that attitude. it will be a sad day if vinny ever leaves ( which he won't )....the heart and soul of the squad will be gone in my book...

watch out for the jersey...VINNY IS GOD
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    garto is now the choice
    Suspended for Derry game on Sept 4, reached four penalty points.
    Aaron also fined for behaviour in Rovers game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    any word on that fine for robinson, i've contacted rovers but still no luck

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by observer
    ye are all happy to get rid of a quality player because he dos'nt want to play U 21 football.
    Hasn't wanted to play first team football either judging by some of his performances...

If he'd kept it up and played well for the U21's, he would've earned a place back in the first team. Earned it, not got it by right.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    any word on that fine for robinson, i've contacted rovers but still no luck
    Not sure when you mean, but .....

Back in August
    Shane Robinson (Shamrock Rovers) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined EUR40 as a result of reaching eight (8) penalty points.

And in June
    Shane Robinson (Shamrock Rovers) suspended for ONE (1) eircom League match as per FIFA directive and fined EUR50 as a result of being sent off v Longford Town (29.05.04). Suspension already served.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    mr robinson made gestures to de town fans at the game in richmond, he was reported and half time and the club made a complaint about him directly to rovers as well.

but no response as of yet, i sent an e mail to rovers from the one f email but nothing from that either...

if anyone in the media, cough cough.....were to follow it up, they could be told that a supporter made a complaint to alan duncan the rovers secretary at half time.......

thats if any one from the media reads this site, wink wink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    but no response as of yet, i sent an e mail to rovers from the one f email but nothing from that either...
    Not to demean what happened, but it would be viewed as something minor unless you're willing to follow it up strongly, it'll be ignored.

Ring the aforementioned club secretary personally (01-4622077) or at least speak to someone within the club.

Send an e-mail to Eircom League. I can imagine that if someone complained to Longford about a player, it would probably be let slide if possible.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i already spoke to alan duncan in person and he told me the matter was on hand, that was over 2 weeks ago.......

think i'll make a little phone call now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Like you Max Power I am a big Vinnie fan, however I have to advise that 11 Vinnies would make for one useless team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    no no i'm not a fan, i worship vinny....as he is god, the red n black god.

11 vinny's would play with pride, get the tackles in and ALWAYS do their best for the club....sorry but i'd rather that than mr ego anyday.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Look I know for a fact thats the truth unless the whole club is lying, if he hadnt refused to play he would have played, like he'd played the previous two Under 21 games! He felt being in the Under 21s was just a token punishment and wasnt happy when he saw that he was really going to have to fight for his place. Paul Keegan Mick Dempsey and Pip played, McGovern refused whether you like it or not thats what happened, he only played in the Under 21s on Sunday under protest and wouldnt speak to anyone. And by the way theres no truth in Alan wanting to get rid of Leo and Dennis, its not his decision anyway...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I remain sceptical about the McGovern issue (hope Roddie dos'nt sign him) but am glad to hear that management of the U21 team is not Matthews call. The two boys have done an excellent job even though they have mostly a very young squad this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast