Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Ireland secures a deal in principle to alleviate the country's debt burden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts

Ireland secures a deal in principle to alleviate the country's debt burden

If this comes into place and is retrospective, should that solve the sovereign debt issue? My understanding is the bank debt became sovereign debt but if that's removed, surely a massive burned is lifted off us the taxpayers?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Does anybody, anywhere have an answer to that legendz? I think that, in theory, the deal would take some of the sovereign debt burden from the state and put it back onto the banks. The problem is everything is so speculative: Finland and the Netherlands are unwilling to commit to the deal; Merkel (according to Drivetime on R1 yesterday) made a speech in parliament that suggested Germany would attach so many conditions to the deal that it would not be as attractive as people thought; and the 'markets' - the collective noun for a group of meddling, menacing, braindead, panicky a***holes - haven't yet had their usual meddling, menacing, braindead, panicky a***hole response.

Meantime, we live in hope.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    The "Enda Did It" and "Ireland Did It" lines in the Oirish press drive me demented. It was no more driven by Enda or Ireland than my 10 month old's ability to fart.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It looks positive, but I'd wait to see the details. Politicians agreed it at the EU meeting, and then have to go and talk to their own constituents. I doubt the "conditions" that Merkel is talking about really apply to those countries already in a programme (who are working to severe conditions), but more at the Spanish and Italians who seem to want it condition free. Also I thought the Dutch and Finnish objections were to the support of the bonds rather than the seperation of the bank debt?

It's pretty clear we're too small a fish to drive this thing, but happy enough we're named as a potential beneficiary. The blanket guarantee of the banks was always the problem (and basically forced other states to do the same, thus helping cement the link between banks and soveriegn) - don't ever forget that legacy of FF when martin and co are out bs-ing.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's good that bank debt and sovereign debt are now separated, and is the ultimate acknowledgement that Merkel's daft policy of channelling bank aid through state governments has failed.

But we still have a huge sovereign debt that has to be corrected on it's own. Therefore in the short term at least, there'll be no change to the austerity we're facing.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Part of the deficit is interest on the bank debt, so a separation of the bank debt will help that. Plus the separation would make it more likely we can exit the programme, which would give us more control (albeit still not free reign) over our budget process.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Did I read someplace this morning that the Irish are to be subject to "special treatment" by the Germans!! Run for cover....
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    It's not even clear if we've secured a deal in principle - saying that Ireland is "unique" and "a special case" is just diplomatic speak for "We know you're not in as much trouble as Spain or Greece", and Merkel cleverly managed to commit Germany to precisely nothing on Sunday. Hollande wants to federalise the debt problem, but can do nothing on his own, so amid the smoke and mirrors, we'll likely just see minor tinkering with the Anglo promissory notes in 2013.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Are we not in as much trouble as Greece or Spain? Here's a fairly worrying article which we're worse than them; essentially, we're just not as far down the line as yet. There are a fair few similar articles out there (you'll find links to a few on thepropertypin.com)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    And there's as many contradictoary articles saying we're easily doeing the best of the PIIGS and we're likely to leave the programme first

If the pat 5 years has proven anything, its that economists are complete bluffers. Some will get it right, but more will get it wrong
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/