Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salthill back at Drom

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Salthill back at Drom

Some fixture changes released a few minutes ago, including the one below. Doesn't say there are back there for the rest of the season. Anything on in Galway that weekend, Volvo Ocean Race maybe?

FIRST DIVISION – SERIES NO. 16

SD Galway v Wexford Youths

The above Airtricity League First Division originally scheduled for Friday, 6th July at Terryland Park will now take place on Saturday, 7th July at Drom with a kick-off time of 7.00 pm.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    If there is literally no one at a game how can anyone be sure of the result??

If a Salthill scores on the moors does it make a noise??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Word coming out of the drom is that they are now seeing their entry into the LOI as a failure and will leaving the league at the end of the season. There participation in the u19 league will be reviewed at the next board meeting.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    No harm them leaving at the end of the season to be honest. If the support isn't going to be there there is no point going on after this season. They have had 3 seasons to build a decent support but it doesn't seem to be happening at all and if anything is going backwards. They might have had some chance if they were successfulish but they haven't been at all. Mervue could go the same way. They looked good last year and if they had held onto that squad with one or two additions I think they would have been up near the top this season, was disappointed to see so many players leaving them.

Would be good to see Galway Utd back but if you take out another two teams and just add Galway then it looks like the first division might have only 6 teams with no one automatically relegated from the premier which would be ridiculous.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    If they do pull out of the LoI it will mean that the re-branding and move to Terryland Park has been a failure. Will those soccer officials who came up with this idea take some responsibility for their decisions ? I am not saying that new ideas should not be tried and that those pushing ventures that fail should always have to resign their positions, that would be stupid. But in this case most LoI soccer people in Galway advised strongly against it. We may be jumping the gun here and Salthill may yet prosper in Terryland and become a force at the top of Irish soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    We may be jumping the gun here and Salthill may yet prosper in Terryland and become a force at the top of Irish soccer.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Would be good to see Galway Utd back but if you take out another two teams and just add Galway then it looks like the first division might have only 6 teams with no one automatically relegated from the premier which would be ridiculous.
    I've been assuming that both Tralee and Cobh will apply again next year for the first division. If they were to get in, it'd still only be the 8 teams though. The first division is becoming a non-viable entity.

IMO two leagues of 10 teams is the best solution. Most won't agree though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Good riddance to them
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

11. Thanks From:

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    I've been assuming that both Tralee and Cobh will apply again next year for the first division. If they were to get in, it'd still only be the 8 teams though. The first division is becoming a non-viable entity.

IMO two leagues of 10 teams is the best solution. Most won't agree though!
    Either two leagues of 10 teams of more realistic right now a 16 or 18 single division with Gust coming back and the two junior teams from Galway going back to Junior football. I cant see Tralee or Cobh coming back any time soon, Kerry District league and Munster Senior League respectively.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    If they do pull out of the LoI it will mean that the re-branding and move to Terryland Park has been a failure.
    It was proven to have been a failure the first time they played in Terryland. There was like 150 there. They even resorted to basically paying people to come and that obviously didn't work. The members must have had it with the fools that thought it was a good idea at this stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if playing in Drom is a one off because of work on the pitch, but I am not in the least bit surprised that they could be pulling out at the end of the season, if they even get that far.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    It was proven to have been a failure the first time they played in Terryland. There was like 150 there. They even resorted to basically paying people to come and that obviously didn't work. The members must have had it with the fools that thought it was a good idea at this stage.
    Say what now?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Say what now?
    They had an offer. A tenner for...

A pint and finger-food in Sheridan's (their bar sponsor), a bus up to Terryland, match ticket, a bus back and another pint, with the tenner going to the pub. Nuff said really.

Should have taken them up on it and just had a few pints while I waited for my free one when the empty bus arrived back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Out of interest are GUST even in a position to run a club if the chance comes? Have they got the money for it and if not where do they expect to get it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Out of interest are GUST even in a position to run a club if the chance comes? Have they got the money for it and if not where do they expect to get it?
    Yes.

GUST ran the club themselves for the 2011 season, after the directors abandoned it. The odds against them were huge. The guys in GUST are not well meaning amateurs, like the directors often tried to suggest. They are fans like you and me who want to have a club that is a real community enterprise, that lives within its means. They are incredibly organised and have experience of running a club in the worst of circumstances already.

They are people with a wide range of skills. Accountants, entrepreneurs, civil servants, educators and people with a wide range of talents that are essential running A CLUB.

GUST have a good relationship with the business community in Galway and have years of experience fundraising for the club. Not a few bob here and there, real substantial cash.

GUST never had any real say in anything the club (Leeson) did, but they were doing all the work, as it is with many LOI clubs. Running the match nights, lotto, match programme, selling advertising, organising and promoting fundraisers, selling season tickets, providing transport to matches, organising venues for the under 19s, dealing with disgruntled creditors shafted by the club etc, dealing with an absentee manager who couldn't be sacked...

I'm not speaking for them, I'm not even involved but anyway... GUST aren't looking for investors. They are not looking for someone to pump money into it. They will come to a decision on a responsible budget, one that can be reviewed upwards later on, IF appropriate.

GUST don't enter into agreements with anybody unless they are certain they can honour them as promised. They are intelligent and financially prudent, but they have to be. They can't write a check or pop down the bank for 5 or 10 grand if they over-budget or don't have a home gate for a month. Nick was operating from one day to the next, which among other things was cause of all the problems.

Lads, I know yee probably don't want to be saying too much right now, but if there's anything substantial you disagree with there, speak up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Yes.

GUST ran the club themselves for the 2011 season, after the directors abandoned it. The odds against them were huge. The guys in GUST are not well meaning amateurs, like the directors often tried to suggest. They are fans like you and me who want to have a club that is a real community enterprise, that lives within its means. They are incredibly organised and have experience of running a club in the worst of circumstances already.

They are people with a wide range of skills. Accountants, entrepreneurs, civil servants, educators and people with a wide range of talents that are essential running A CLUB.

GUST have a good relationship with the business community in Galway and have years of experience fundraising for the club. Not a few bob here and there, real substantial cash.

GUST never had any real say in anything the club (Leeson) did, but they were doing all the work, as it is with many LOI clubs. Running the match nights, lotto, match programme, selling advertising, organising and promoting fundraisers, selling season tickets, providing transport to matches, organising venues for the under 19s, dealing with disgruntled creditors shafted by the club etc, dealing with an absentee manager who couldn't be sacked...

I'm not speaking for them, I'm not even involved but anyway... GUST aren't looking for investors. They are not looking for someone to pump money into it. They will come to a decision on a responsible budget, one that can be reviewed upwards later on, IF appropriate.

GUST don't enter into agreements with anybody unless they are certain they can honour them as promised. They are intelligent and financially prudent, but they have to be. They can't write a check or pop down the bank for 5 or 10 grand if they over-budget or don't have a home gate for a month. Nick was operating from one day to the next, which among other things was cause of all the problems.

Lads, I know yee probably don't want to be saying too much right now, but if there's anything substantial you disagree with there, speak up.

Being honest thats what i thought was wondering if they got the call would it only be then that they started looking for people to put the money in.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Being honest thats what i thought was wondering if they got the call would it only be then that they started looking for people to put the money in.
    They're already working on it. The Under 19s need to be financed so that it can be run properly.

It would be the same as with any club. But... they wouldn't be out looking for people to write cheques. They'd be going out securing sponsorships, selling season tickets etc. along with all the things they are currently doing anyway and have done for years.

It's not an overnight... "oh **** we need €180,000 tomorrow to do us for the season". You need some finances in place before the season starts. If you don't have a main sponsor, you just don't put it in the budget. Whatever you bring in and can reasonably expect to add in revenue you factor into the budget. But you set your budget according to what you will be able to take in.

I know the people involved and they will probably be extremely cautious. I know that if they are given a fair go by the FAI, and I think they will now, they will do as well as, if not better than the other LOI fan ventures.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    810 Posts
    While I'd never take joy in any LOI club folding if SDG do pull out it could be a blessing as they at no addition to the league, a bad team with no fans. Mervue United have made small progresses on the field but off it they are similar to SDG in terms of fan base so if the 2 of them left and a well run, well supported GUFC came back it would be good for the league IMO. However, that's all easier said than done.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    While I'd never take joy in any LOI club folding if SDG do pull out it could be a blessing as they at no addition to the league, a bad team with no fans. Mervue United have made small progresses on the field but off it they are similar to SDG in terms of fan base so if the 2 of them left and a well run, well supported GUFC came back it would be good for the league IMO. However, that's all easier said than done.
    GUST are far better equipped to run a club than the idiots behind GUFC ever were and the FAI let them do what they liked for years. Mervue and Devon's crowd have gotten worse if anything. Two great clubs with absolutely **** all business trying to compete in the LOI.

And they would not be folding. They would just be coming to their senses and putting their energy into what they've been successful at for decades. There would be no need for sympathy. They've held on to their LOI hopes for too long now and hopefully the members help put an end to it. They just cannot afford to prop up their LOI teams with money that is going where the people that raised it probably never intended it to go.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 29/06/2012 at 3:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Im no way involved with the trust either, but they have still been running the maroon army membership as well as huge expansions in the lotto scheme etc, etc over the past year where there hasn't been a single ball kicked in the LOI. Im sure this has made for a reasonable balance in there account to start off with. The club will be starting off on amatuer basis if entered into the league for next season (lets remember nothing says they will enter the 2013 league yet) and will continue to do so for years after until the finances say that they can change the level of football played out of Deacy park. Top that with 600-700 supporters waiting for there change to purchase there season tickets once more.

Finally, there is light at the end of the tunnel for Galway Football !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    As well as all that, Galway football are behind them. It's more of a partnership really. There is a will there to fix Galway football. As bad as things are, maybe these were exactly the conditions needed to cause things to be done properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast