65 Posts
    Hopefully high court inspectors will be appointed forthwith
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    By the way, can we put an end to this nonsense that Delaney secured these championships for the FAI please?

In the 25 years since we've held them last, only 2 countries have held in more than once - England and Germany. There's 57 countries in UEFA, so it is going to get spread around. In that time Malta, Azerbaijan*, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Slovakia and Slovenia have all hosted it. All have hosted it since Delaney's rise to prominence in the FAI post-Saipan.

Also looking at the 19's and the 21's.
    We've never held the 19's (or their previous equivalents) finals. As a former winner, we should have pushed that ticket in order to host. The 4 most recent hosts are the North, Armenia, Finland and Georgia. Since 2002, Lithuania, Estonia, the North (again), Liechtenstein have all hosted it.
    21s is slightly different as it's a biennial competition, but Israel have held it recently.

Look at the women also. Probably unfair to consider the senior event, so just focus on the 19s and 17s. In the 19s, Finland, Iceland, Belarus, Macedonia, Wales, Israel, Slovakia, and the North have all hosted it. In the 17s, Iceland, Belarus, the Czechs and Lithuania have all hosted it.

These specific examples are focussing on the time Delaney was involved in the FAI top table:

Malta: M: U17s;
    Azerbaijan* M: U17s;
    Luxembourg: M: U17s;
    Liechtenstein: M: U19s; U17s;
    Slovakia: M: U21s; U17s W: U19s;
    Slovenia: M: U21s; U17s
    North Ireland: M: U19s x2; W: U19s;
    Armenia: M:U21s; U19s;
    Finland: M:U19s x2; W: E/C; U19s;
    Georgia: M:U19s; W: U19s;
    Lithuania: M: U19s; W: U17s;
    Estonia: M: U19s; U17s; + Super Cup;
    Israel: M: U21s; U17s; W: U19s;
    Iceland: M: W: U17s; U19s;
    Belarus: M: W: U17s; U19s;
    Macedonia: M: W: U19s;
    Wales: M: W: U19s;
    Czechia: M: U21s; U19s; U17s; W: U17s;

Finally, the Super Cup: It's been to Estonia, Macedonia, Norway, Georgia, Wales and the Czech Republic this decade.

* I'm inclined to ignore everything about the Azeri's due to the new money they'll pump into Football.

Instead of congratulating him for bringing these Championships due to his "incredible connections and networks within UEFA", he should have been questioned and castigated over his failure to take 17 years to get a tournament of magnitude to this country, while poaching glamour friendlies to the detriment of local football. He's a pox of a spoofer of the highest order.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    FAI close to insolvency, say SIPTU.

This looks like it could get worse before it gets better. This does lend weight to the theory that Delaney wrote that 100k because the FAI was broke, even though it made no sense to write a cheque in an urgent cash-flow situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    By the way, can we put an end to this nonsense that Delaney secured these championships for the FAI please?

In the 25 years since we've held them last, only 2 countries have held in more than once - England and Germany. There's 57 countries in UEFA, so it is going to get spread around. In that time Malta, Azerbaijan*, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Slovakia and Slovenia have all hosted it. All have hosted it since Delaney's rise to prominence in the FAI post-Saipan.

Also looking at the 19's and the 21's.
    We've never held the 19's (or their previous equivalents) finals. As a former winner, we should have pushed that ticket in order to host. The 4 most recent hosts are the North, Armenia, Finland and Georgia. Since 2002, Lithuania, Estonia, the North (again), Liechtenstein have all hosted it.
    21s is slightly different as it's a biennial competition, but Israel have held it recently.

Look at the women also. Probably unfair to consider the senior event, so just focus on the 19s and 17s. In the 19s, Finland, Iceland, Belarus, Macedonia, Wales, Israel, Slovakia, and the North have all hosted it. In the 17s, Iceland, Belarus, the Czechs and Lithuania have all hosted it.

These specific examples are focussing on the time Delaney was involved in the FAI top table:

Malta: M: U17s;
    Azerbaijan* M: U17s;
    Luxembourg: M: U17s;
    Liechtenstein: M: U19s; U17s;
    Slovakia: M: U21s; U17s W: U19s;
    Slovenia: M: U21s; U17s
    North Ireland: M: U19s x2; W: U19s;
    Armenia: M:U21s; U19s;
    Finland: M:U19s x2; W: E/C; U19s;
    Georgia: M:U19s; W: U19s;
    Lithuania: M: U19s; W: U17s;
    Estonia: M: U19s; U17s; + Super Cup;
    Israel: M: U21s; U17s; W: U19s;
    Iceland: M: W: U17s; U19s;
    Belarus: M: W: U17s; U19s;
    Macedonia: M: W: U19s;
    Wales: M: W: U19s;
    Czechia: M: U21s; U19s; U17s; W: U17s;

Finally, the Super Cup: It's been to Estonia, Macedonia, Norway, Georgia, Wales and the Czech Republic this decade.

* I'm inclined to ignore everything about the Azeri's due to the new money they'll pump into Football.

Instead of congratulating him for bringing these Championships due to his "incredible connections and networks within UEFA", he should have been questioned and castigated over his failure to take 17 years to get a tournament of magnitude to this country, while poaching glamour friendlies to the detriment of local football. He's a pox of a spoofer of the highest order.
    Wish I could like this post twice.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

This looks like it could get worse before it gets better. This does lend weight to the theory that Delaney wrote that 100k because the FAI was broke, even though it made no sense to write a cheque in an urgent cash-flow situation.
    I shouldn't have to ask this but there's a lot of that going around.

What would be the position of season ticket holders of the FAI were forced into examinership? Would season tickets be honoured or would we have to join a long list of creditors to get (some of) our money back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I don't know if season tickets could be "honoured" as such - you get in free to the senior internationals run by the FAI, and that would still happen even if there wasn't any.

I don't see that you could get any money back, in the same way that if you hold a voucher for a shop that goes under, you don't get any money back.

If the FAI is broke, then a question that arises again is why the f*** was Martin O'Neill offered a new contract only to be sacked less than 12 months later?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts

What an ungodly mess this looks like. If the worst happens presumably the state will be asked to step-in and bail them out right? UEFA isn't going to foot the bill alone, no matter what Conway is implying.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    What a really uninspiring statement.

I read it as UEFA's support is needed to keep the wolves from the door.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Has any tribunal or inquiry ever done anything in Ireland, other than make millions for barristers and solicitors. This FAI thing is heading that way now.

Be careful what you wish for.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What a really uninspiring statement.
    I read it as UEFA's support is needed to keep the wolves from the door.
    It would be very disappointing if UEFA and FIFA are just there to act as a financial defibrillator to the FAI's current structure.

Did you have an inkling that the FAI governance was so rotten or had sunk so low?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    UEFA to give FAI 8-10 million to keep it afloat: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38116838.html

That Conway is trying to frame this as a positive development is baffling.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    So the debt is now to be paid off by 2025. Hard to believe this will happen. Sorry to ask what is possibly a very naïve question, but is the 10million being offered a loan? If so, 2025 looks even more remote a date to have the debt paid off by.

https://www.independent.ie/au/irish-...-38120504.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Boing! Boing! Boing! Boing!

Yes, Noel Mooney is taking over at the FAI on a temporary basis: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...further-rejig/

I have no idea if this is good or bad, but all together now:

"I believe in Mooney
    Where you from?
    You sexy thing"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    What did you all expect to happen 😂

As usual Irish people are too nice to make a stand and decide to let the Euro u17s go peacefully while action against the people at the top isn’t taken, the coincidently once the Euros have ended this Yesman is appointed ... I wonder why. We need to protest at the Gibraltar & Denmark games now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Interview with Mooney on FAI tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKLqMwANN0&t=628s

Carefully scripted back and forth with Cathal Dervan, and a very big bang of Delaney from the Language used by Mooney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    UEFA official to oversee FAI finances: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...see-fai-funds/

It really is like the bailout.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    What's the general view with League fans on the; 'Niall Quinn is taking a central role in Irish football's power play after committing to discussions with both Shane Ross and Noel Mooney'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38143258.html

His business record is not particularly encouraging, the ill-fated Carlow property venture where Quinn owned shares in a firm that developed the construction and had bank loans totalling €4.62m or the infamous Alphasat Communications a broadband business venture owned Quinn that went into liquidation with a shareholder deficit of over €2.8 million in 2015.

Well it is Ireland and we all partied!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Brendan Menton's submission to the FAI/Sport Ireland Governance Review: https://medium.com/@menton.brendan/s...--------------

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I went back over the first few pages of this thread to see how much of this (Menton) we ourselves identified. I'd say in spirit, most of it, but in actual specific policy advice only some of it. Post #56 was interesting, notification of a lecture in 2014 of Irish sport policy and the role of Sport Ireland, given by a policy lecturer at UCD. I went to that lecture and she was very pessimistic about Sport Ireland.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast