Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Governance of the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    FIFA dictates that governments can't interfere in national FA affairs.

Define "interfere" though. FAs have to follow certain rules or guidelines to secure funding and they have to follow national regulations of all kinds. So all FAs face indirect interference and oversight.
    The key is that the interference cannot be unwanted i.e. if the Member Association complains to FIFA, then FIFA can - and does - apply "the nuclear option" of complete suspension from FIFA. At which point the Governments in question usually back off, since it is invariably very unpopular within the country at large to see their teams, domestic and NT, at all levels, unable to host any foreign teams or themselves play abroad.

However, what constitutes "unwanted" is key, since often the interference will take the form of: "If you [Member Association] don't do what we [Government] want, then we will withdraw all financial backing and co-operation from your organisation". At which point the MA normally "agrees" to the interference.

Considering the FAI's financial position, this latter is undoubtedly the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think the FIFA rule is to prevent direct control of FAs by the state.
    Indeed.

I mean, the likes of Blatter or Infantino can't be doing with Governments looking closely into their affairs, can they?

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    The key is that the interference cannot be unwanted i.e. if the Member Association complains to FIFA, then FIFA can - and does - apply "the nuclear option" of complete suspension from FIFA. At which point the Governments in question usually back off, since it is invariably very unpopular within the country at large to see their teams, domestic and NT, at all levels, unable to host any foreign teams or themselves play abroad.

However, what constitutes "unwanted" is key, since often the interference will take the form of: "If you [Member Association] don't do what we [Government] want, then we will withdraw all financial backing and co-operation from your organisation". At which point the MA normally "agrees" to the interference.

Considering the FAI's financial position, this latter is undoubtedly the case here.

Indeed.

I mean, the likes of Blatter or Infantino can't be doing with Governments looking closely into their affairs, can they?
    Especially the American Government !

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314