Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Governance of the FAI

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You're beginning to sound a bit like SkStu in the politics forum now.
    Ooooh... that's a pistols at dawn comment if ever I saw one.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I want to be optimistic. Following Ireland and the LoI these last few years … it’s like being 3-0 down in a cup final heading into injury time. But I still want to believe that our lumbering veteran centre forward can shank one in and start the mother of all comebacks. Don’t take that hope from me, RAM!!!
    Look, the ball is fizzing over the shoulder of Van Aerle and he looks like he is going to put Van Brekeluen under pressure with a bad backpass. I'm with you - I want Quinn to anticipate the loose ball and slam it home into the roof of the net but the ball is most definitely loose and its really anyone's guess as to where it is going to end up!

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Ooooh! Get it up yer orange jersies!!!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The best think IMHO about having people Like Roy Barret , Gary Owens , Catherine Guy etc coming into the FAI is that they all have professional reputations at high levels and wont be part of an organisation going forward that isnt run properly.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You're beginning to sound a bit like SkStu in the politics forum now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    If ever there was a Que to shut up! That is it.
    Now, now. Be nice and lets keep politics out of Irish football, as the old adage goes.

*cue by the way RAM. I hope that doesnt offend you...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    You think "Maybe" is ok with regards his interest in the league despite there being no actual evidence that he does.

But I have no grounds for legitimate concerns surrounding a 3rd party football academy which Quinn represents that wants to invest large sums in the game here for no return.

Right.
    where does he say the national academy is to be a vehicle for profiting on player sales? I didn’t see that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    where does he say the national academy is to be a vehicle for profiting on player sales? I didn’t see that.
    Private funding will look for a return.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    And the full quote in context? Is he talking about private funding of a national academy or private funding of clubs? The former would probably be illegal (TPO), the latter is football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    To answer my own question I read that there’s a guy called Mike Farnan who does indeed have stakes in foreign academies in places such as Vietnam, Lithuania. Definitely cause for concern. By all means have a national academy but not one which actually owns players’ transfer rights. Kerr is an advisor. I think there’d be outcry if something like that was launched here I’d be surprised if Kerr supported it. There was a similar academy in Spain run by Glenn Hoddle which was slightly different. It was “signing” out of contract players like Christy Fagan and giving them a second chance. I think they had to apply to be a club in Spain’s lower tiers. Not sure how it worked out but it had some iffy characters involved - as does most of football.

This bit does indeed deserve some attention.

I may be naive but I still think this lot could be decent though. They have the business skills to run an organisation.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I’d also be curious to know what the appointment process was.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 25/01/2020 at 9:11 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    If a private company can set up an academy programme that still leaves LOI and domestic football in general in a better position than they were, then the private company making their money as well doesn't bother me.

If they end up making loads of money while LOI and domestic football plods along as usual, it's an issue.

If one side was to take advantage of the other, I'd expect the FAI and LOI to be the ones getting screwed by the private company, rather than the other way round.

To be honest, the perception of the LOI as a two-bit league with players available for buttons, and the inability of most clubs to tie their players down for longer than a year, will result in a drawn-out solution, if there even is one.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I wouildfn't be as relaxed - TPO is a murky business - and I'd also have conflict of interest concerns at FAI level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    https://www.the42.ie/gary-owens-nial...86831-Jan2020/

Quinn, having made it known he would be interested in assuming a role with the FAI while ruling himself out of becoming full-time CEO, was appointed as Interim Deputy CEO of the FAI last week.

The creation of such a role was not among the governance reforms recommended by the Governance Review Group report of last year, and the role was not publicly advertised.
    So much for corporate governance.

Owens then threw in this clanger.

“Listen, I could work in the commercial world for a lot more money than I’m actually getting for this. I started playing football a long time ago at St Joseph’s, I love the game, I go to international matches, so we’ve came together to try and make change.
    A bad start.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I could work in the commercial world for a lot more money than I’m actually getting for this.
    Didn't JD say something similar some years ago?

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    Didn't JD say something similar some years ago?
    FAI appears to be full of lads foregoing multi-million euro salaries elsewhere for the good of the game, yet the game and association is f**ked.
    Last edited by osarusan; 31/01/2020 at 8:23 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Time to resurrect this thread I reckon.

Never a dull moment at the FAI:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...-owens-claims/

So, it seems that the new Independent Chairman & CEO are telling porkies about the Board approving the MOU with the government.

There is also a concern over how the likes of Barrett, Owens, Quinn and the new LOI Director were appointed, as the roles weren't advertised. I'm not sure exactly which roles were filled without a formal process, but it appears that some/most were part of Quinn's Visionary Group.

Rea Walshe keeps her job despite close ties with JD, and offering him free formal legal advice against Bar Society regulations.

Quinn has backtracked a bit on the 10 year Council tenure limit, saying that it will now be subject to an assessment olf skills, proprietry etc.

And of course the key argument seems to be the actual make up of the 12 man Board, with the government/FAI MOU saying it should now be 6 independents and 6 elected from the "football family" but the football family are saying they should hold the balance of power. It is currently 8 elected, 4 independent. FIFA & UEFA have written in support of the 6/6.

I'm a little bit unsure how I feel here. In ordinary circumsdtances you'd think 4 independents on a board of 12 should be enough, but Irish football is far from ordinary. Council has been complicit in the FAI's failure for decades and the the old Board was clearly a shambles. You just can't trust the "football people" to do the right thing in this country. The 6/6 split looks high to me, but I'd like to know what's common in comparable organisations.

Could be a tasty EGM coming up!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 06/08/2020 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Time to resurrect this thread I reckon.

Never a dull moment at the FAI:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...-owens-claims/

So, it seems that the new Independent Chairman & CEO are telling porkies about the Board approving the MOU with the government.

There is also a concern over how the likes of Barrett, Owens, Quinn and the new LOI Director were appointed, as the roles weren't advertised. I'm not sure exactly which roles were filled without a formal process, but it appears that some/most were part of Quinn's Visionary Group.

Rea Walshe keeps her job despite close ties with JD, and offering him free formal legal advice against Bar Society regulations.

Quinn has backtracked a bit on the 10 year Council tenure limit, saying that it will now be subject to an assessment olf skills, proprietry etc.

And of course the key argument seems to be the actual make up of the 12 man Board, with the government/FAI MOU saying it should now be 6 independents and 6 elected from the "football family" but the football family are saying they should hold the balance of power. It is currently 8 elected, 4 independent. FIFA & UEFA have written in support of the 6/6.

I'm a little bit unsure how I feel here. In ordinary circumsdtances you'd think 4 independents on a board of 12 should be enough, but Irish football is far from ordinary. Council has been complicit in the FAI's failure for decades and the the old Board was clearly a shambles. You just can't trust the "football people" to do the right thing in this country. The 6/6 split looks high to me, but I'd like to know what's common in comparable organisations.

Could be a tasty EGM coming up!

This was discussed on Game On on 2FM last night.
    On the 16 member athletic board, two are independent. The gymnastic and swimming boards both have nine members, with two independents. The boxing board has ten members, with three independents. Cricket has 12 members with five independents. Instead of a board, Rugby and GAA have management committees, with ten and sixteen members respectively, and both with no independent members.

You can listen back to it here - https://2fm.rte.ie/2fm-shows/game-on/ - under Game On Full Show 05 08 20
    It's the first segment of the show, Tony O'Donoghue discusses the makeup of the other sporting bodies' board around the ten minute mark.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    There's that, but then how many of those organisations are quite as in the red as the FAI?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I listened to the OTB interview with Ross and McSharry. the question was put to Ross, ‘when did 4 turn into 6 independent board members?’ and for the next 11 minutes he waffled on and on and i’m none the wiser.
    Perhaps the FAI should be garbed in sackcloth and ashes until they demonstrate evidence of competency in a transparant and functional structure. I seriously doubt that the 6 independents would be interfering in football centric matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What happened at the EGM? Did they first check out the accounts, look deep into the bottomless dark hole, had a look at the bailout plan and thought 6 + 6 doesn't look too harsh?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast